Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    snarking for AZE
    vCash
    i enjoy tsl. it's not nearly as bitchy as i would like it to be. i dont understand why fans only want genteel coverage. "real" sports have all kinds of commentary and fans pick and choose what they like. only allowing 1 kind of critique contributes to its niche status.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    Does Phil Hersh actually attend events? Just wondering. He could write what he writes from watching on TV for the most part.

Agreed, Jenny and Dave don't fit the criteria set out by USFSA. Also, TSL's M.O. is to have unfiltered commentary on any issue facing skaters or skating. Jenny herself jumped into her post-skating life by talking about her eating disorder, thus giving light to a dark side of skating. I'm sure the powers that be are loving that.

I like TSL and appreciate the interviews, but I'm curious to know what brand of crack they are smoking that makes them think USFSA would embrace their official presence at a skating event?

Team Voronov, party of 1
    vCash
    As stodgy as the USFS is, I think this is their call to make and I totally agree with them.

TSL's plea quoted in the first place to start an email campaign reads like it was written by a melodramatic 14 year old girl. You can be snarky and still be professional; TSL is decidedly not professional and absolutely not mainstream media. TSL is young, maybe it will evolve into a real force in the skating community. Right now it is not. Besides, as others have stated, nothing is stopping them from conducting interviews at the hotel, especially if they have already been lined up!

vCash
    How predictable of USFSA. No wonder the sport is going into the ground.

vCash
    I agree somewhat about their "This and That" in that I decided never to watch it again because of the self-indulgent silliness. Then I watched it again (once) because they were talking about Mirai. I could not mount a defence of TSL as serious journalism based on "This and That" and I don't like Jenny's gushing voice either. (I'm sure she can speak pleasantly but for some reason she chooses to go cutesy.) Still - if only never-annoying, only-dead-serious journalists covered skating, its outreach to younger folks would suffer. Wait....

Anyway, the participation of Ashley, Frank, Sandra, Tai, Jeremy et al all go to show that the skating world appreciates their work. Bloggers are now recognized players in the political arena, no reason why not the skating scene as well.

I wrote to the USFS. Snarkily. I could blame it on Dave but I do tend to get snarky when I write "political" letters in a hurry.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Habs View Post
    But where do you draw the line? If I start a blog and/or a YouTube channel, should I qualify as media? No. So why should they?
    Possibly if you also had over a million views of your blog.

It is so short sighted of the USFSA to be like this. Living in the 1800s.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    i enjoy tsl. it's not nearly as bitchy as i would like it to be. i dont understand why fans only want genteel coverage. "real" sports have all kinds of commentary and fans pick and choose what they like. only allowing 1 kind of critique contributes to its niche status.
    Exactly.

vCash
    Yes. I remember when the 2010 Olympics were on, we had "real" media coverage. They called one of the competitors a "poof". Very professional.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyWarhol View Post
    Possibly if you also had over a million views of your blog.

It is so short sighted of the USFSA to be like this. Living in the 1800s.
    If not giving press passes to bloggers and youtube sites is living in the 1800s then most of Major League Baseball, the NFL, the NBA and major college football is there with them.

This is reality, not USFSA being mean or outdated. Media accreditation for most sporting events, professional performances, and other events requires more than having a blog with a lot of hits on your counter.

vCash
    I'm torn about this.

On the one hand, I am no fan of TSL. Dave Lease spent years on Aunt Joyce saying incredibly horrible things about figure skaters and gymnasts, most of whom were underage - he'd tell people to develop eating disorders, things like that. TSL isn't as awful, but the "snark" (really, rudeness masquerading as 'honesty') in This and That really needs to be toned down.

On the other hand, TSL is obviously very popular (for a given value of "very") among skating fans, and it already has a solid reputation for exclusive interviews. As far as I know, it's the only non-USFSA media source dedicated to figure skating, and blogs/podcasts are an important part of the modern media landscape. Skaters seem to trust them, and they ask questions that Icenetwork doesn't think of. Monopolizing the skating media market and refusing to integrate modern media trends into coverage seems like a poor way to expand the sport's fanbase.

If TSL had more staff and were more professional I'd say give them the accreditation in a heartbeat, but as of right now...? I'd go either way.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PDilemma View Post
    If not giving press passes to bloggers and youtube sites is living in the 1800s then most of Major League Baseball, the NFL, the NBA and major college football is there with them.

This is reality, not USFSA being mean or outdated. Media accreditation for most sporting events, professional performances, and other events requires more than having a blog with a lot of hits on your counter.
    Can anybody in this thread who thinks popular blogs are not up to snuff for credentialing-- even in the 2010s--explain how school newspapers are?

vCash
    TSL Addresses U.S. Figure Skating

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zyiz5...ature=youtu.be

Resident Rude Brazilian
    vCash
    School newspapers might contribute to someone actually learning something??

And if that is the argument, it's a lame one.

I like the TSL interviews, even with some questions, and actually enjoyed Aunt Joyce's snarks, but those are not to be taken seriously. Want to be considered "go to media"? Act like it! (and I don't mean getting rid of the non PC humor).

Or even better: meet the criteria, even if you think it's outdated. We wouldn't even be having this discussion. But what would be the fun of that?
    Last edited by beepbeep; 08-29-2013 at 04:27 AM.
    Dá-lhe, Isadora!!
    Lead me not into temptation. I can find it, and eat it, all by myself.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheIronLady View Post
    Can anybody in this thread who thinks popular blogs are not up to snuff for credentialing-- even in the 2010s--explain how school newspapers are?
    Editorial (and institutional) oversight, for one.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by valyrian View Post
    I'm torn about this.

On the one hand, I am no fan of TSL. Dave Lease spent years on Aunt Joyce saying incredibly horrible things about figure skaters and gymnasts, most of whom were underage - he'd tell people to develop eating disorders, things like that. TSL isn't as awful, but the "snark" (really, rudeness masquerading as 'honesty') in This and That really needs to be toned down.

On the other hand, TSL is obviously very popular (for a given value of "very") among skating fans, and it already has a solid reputation for exclusive interviews. As far as I know, it's the only non-USFSA media source dedicated to figure skating, and blogs/podcasts are an important part of the modern media landscape. Skaters seem to trust them, and they ask questions that Icenetwork doesn't think of. Monopolizing the skating media market and refusing to integrate modern media trends into coverage seems like a poor way to expand the sport's fanbase.

If TSL had more staff and were more professional I'd say give them the accreditation in a heartbeat, but as of right now...? I'd go either way.

So which it? Is it that TSL is an online site/blog or that they are sometimes snarky in their editorial segments (or in prior times and places...lol)? The variety of opinions given here by posters about TSL's worthiness for credentialing makes me even more curious what the USFSA decision makers believe to be the reason for denying a credential. Nobody here seems to believe it's "space issues."

vCash
    So which it? Is it that TSL is an online site/blog or that they are sometimes snarky in their editorial segments (or in prior times and places...lol)? The variety of opinions given here by posters about TSL's worthiness for credentialing makes me even more curious what the USFSA decision makers believe to be the reason for denying a credential. Nobody here seems to believe it's "space issues."
    No curiosity required. On the first page of this thread, morqet quotes the USFSA policy for issuing credentials to online media. TSL does not meet their requirements. They are not staffed by "full time employees" and likely cannot produce proof of traffic beyond a counter. It is not a personal snub of Jenny Kirk, nor is it motivated by their content. They simply do not meet the published criteria for receiving credentials.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lavenderblue View Post
    Editorial (and institutional) oversight, for one.
    This is a valid point. Wasn't Christine Brennan denied credentialing at one point despite the oversight of USA Today--a leading newspaper for Olympic sports coverage? Because such sentiments have been expressed here, I fear beepbeep's crude "they might contribute to someone actually learning something" suggestion could be the actual thinking behind the judgment to deny TSL though.
    Last edited by TheIronLady; 08-29-2013 at 04:44 AM.

vCash
    This is a valid point. Wasn't Christine Brennan denied credentialing at one point despite the oversight of USA Today--a leading newspaper for Olympic sports coverage? Because such sentiments have been expressed here, I fear beepbeep's crude "they might contribute to someone actually learning something" suggestion could be the actual thinking behind the judgment to deny TSL though.
    Or it could be that they do not meet USFSA's published criteria for credentials for online media.

Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    vCash
    From memory, The Manleywoman SkateCast has applied for USFSA accreditation and been denied as well.

For the record, having attended events as a credentialed member of the media, press conference protocol loses its appeal pretty quickly. The cookie-cutter nature of Q & A is little more than asking a skater or team what they thought of their performance, what they are skating to, and who they are wearing.

TSL would certainly shake things up with their line of questioning. How they would find their voice in the mix is another story altogether.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    David Lease and Jenny Kirk are rank amateurs when it comes to snark, bitchiness, and demeaning comments when compared to many, almost always male, sports commentators on TV and radio, all of whom are considered professionals, Dick Button among them. Have they really said anything worse than calling a skater a "refrigerator break"?
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast