Page 28 of 30 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 LastLast

vCash

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spun Silver View Post
    This may already have been said, sorry if so, but it seems that Dave and Jenny's access was severely restricted by their not getting press passes.
    At one point or another, practically ever skater was shown (on icenetwork) sitting in the stands. If skaters wanted to give interviews, it seems like Dave and Jenny could have approached them to schedule one.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lavenderblue View Post
    Thanks!

About the skaters in the stands - since D & J were there to get interviews, presumably the USFS told the skaters not to talk to them (?). Any other explanation?

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Afterr they took on USFS directly, it would hardly be a surprise if anyone with anything to lose refused to speak to them at SLC.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash

Thanks!

About the skaters in the stands - since D & J were there to get interviews, presumably the USFS told the skaters not to talk to them (?). Any other explanation?
    I doubt that USFSA told the skaters not to talk to D & J. They did not seem to have any difficulty with talking to Max and the Aaron family.

vCash
    I can't believe all the hate directed at TSL. They do amazing work.

Banned Member
    vCash
    Dave was toxic as Aunt Joyce, and now he is toxic as part of "TSL."

Leopards can not change their spots and people do not change their character. Toxic is toxic. TSL will be toxic to Jenny, toxic to Dave and toxic to any skaters stupid enough to talk openly to that cretin.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WeakAnkles View Post
    Journalism is in a period of rapid evolution. Rather than trying to follow a traditional path, Jenny and Dave might be smarter to follow a different model. Tom and Lorenzo, who started out as bloggers for Project Runway, might serve as an alternative model. From their small blog, they have built a website generating millions of hits per year, covering not only Project Runway, but celebrity fashion, television dramas (their series of posts analyzing costume design on Mad Men are brilliant pieces of analysis and writing), movie musicals. How successful have they become? Enough for them to quit their daytime jobs and write full-time for their blog. And they're just as snarky as the snarkiest comments from This & That.
    Sure, there are bloggers who are able to leverage their blogs into a full-time gig; not many, however. There are two reasons why I don't see that happening for Dave and Jenny. First, unlike TLo, they're not bringing anything particularly substantive to their coverage and commentary. TLo are and were snarky, but as you point out, their Mad Men posts (and some of their other content) are brilliant, and nobody was doing anything like Mad Style when they started it. I'd also add that even when they were still on Blogger as Project Rungay, they had a more professional vibe than TSL. If you want to be taken seriously, your blog/website needs to look the part. Shooting videos in your bedroom does not have the same effect.

However, that's not the biggest reason why TSL is unlikely to enjoy the success of other blogs: the main problem is that there simply isn't enough of an audience for figure skating content, be it traditional or non-traditional. Whereas food bloggers, HLBs, running bloggers and fashion bloggers have a much bigger market that they can tap into if they succeed. I just did a quick search on Twitter for several bloggers whose blogs I've read/heard about, and all have considerably more followers than TSL.

vCash
    Aarons too? OK, I need to look at their site(s) more carefully.

vCash
    Thanks!

Oh my - that's quite a jump in reasoning.

Running around the stands asking people for interviews? No, totally fan-ish. One usually asks the agent (if there is one) or the PR person (if there is one) or if they're minors, the coach or parents. Beyond that they would certainly approach skaters in a time and place that is appropriate to chat for a minute and arrange a meeting. Just because people were in the stands watching the competition doesn't mean that it was the right time to approach them for an interview. These things are most often, not always, arranged in advance of the event largely so the skater has control of his/her time to prepare for their sessions (no one wants to talk to anyone before competing and I'm sure Jenny knows that one) and implement their competition plan.

I'm quite sure that that USFSA did no such thing in SLC and more broadly they have no policy that keeps skaters away from journalists without credentials. As has been discussed previously, TSL's access to skating folks is in no way restricted - they can contact anyone, arrange an interview with anyone who accepts the invitation.

I'm not sure if I recall correctly - I was under the impression that TSL was at SLC to do interviews (as well as cover the event), not get interviews - didn't they have their interviews lined up ahead of time? For some reason I thought that they did. Maybe I'm wrong.
    Last edited by Willowway; 09-16-2013 at 07:07 PM.

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    This may already have been said, sorry if so, but it seems that Dave and Jenny's access was severely restricted by their not getting press passes. Yuka Sato seems to be the only interview they got. In light of that, I am not surprised that they made an issue of being denied.
    Did they interview Yuka at the event? She was there? With whom?

I know that they interviewed her a few weeks ago BEFORE the event.

vCash
    It's true that Project Rungay/Tom and Lorenzo had a much more professional look even when it was small, but in defense of TSL, it's also much easier to have that look when your content is commenting on images taken by professional photographers. The only thing that T&L really had to concern themselves with for many years other than being snarky was the design of the site which was a trivial matter for what they were doing. For TSL to be able to do its lengthy video interviews in a more professional setting and manner, it would have to have a lot of cash to cover frequent travel to meet subjects at times that are convenient for them, high quality equipment, additional staff, etc. I am not a fan of TSL, but I understand why many of their interviews are "from the bedroom".
    Last edited by Ilyich; 09-16-2013 at 07:39 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Willowway View Post

Running around the stands asking people for interviews? No, totally fan-ish.
    Um, did you watch the recaps? They were behaving extremely 'fan-ish'. As were their tweets; most no different than what people posted here. They are fans who do well thought out interviews. At a more informal event like this (and yes, I know it was a real international competition, but it was held in a small practice type arena with empty bleachers, the event was informal.), there is no reason to not approach someone shortly in the stands during an event break. I've seen it happen with local media at regionals to well known skaters or coaches. You introduce yourself, make your request, and then leave them alone.

I think they had plenty of access to skaters- they talked about Dave being in a hotel room right next door to someone (Chris Caluzula?). So they also had access to skaters outside of sitting in the stands. They could easily asked the skater, the coach, their parents, whomever, if there was time to set up a quick interview, or arrange a long skype one later.

I think their skype interviews are fabulous; but their event recaps this weekend, while greatly appreciated, were no less 'fan-ish' than the Spanish "Orange Team" question games (which I love) done at various events or anything posted on the PBP thread here.

For all I know they've arranged plenty of interviews to take place at a later date. The LONG interviews they do don't lend themselves well to competition weekend.
    Last edited by Skittl1321; 09-16-2013 at 07:34 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanette View Post
    Did they interview Yuka at the event? She was there? With whom?

I know that they interviewed her a few weeks ago BEFORE the event.
    My bad. First, I meant Jamie Sale. Then, I did not check the dates. I still don't see Max Aaron. OK, so I am not the most attentive reader of TSL.

Willoway, are you suggesting that we will see a lot of TSL skater interviews coming out of SLC in the coming weeks? That would make sense. I was expecting more of a live, here we are in SLC type of interview as their remote interview format seems to be working fine.

In a cubbyhole next to Lauren Sheehan's bedazzler
    vCash
    The Moore-Towers/Moscovitch interview was planned before SLC. They weren't "running around the stands" asking to interview anyone.

vCash
    Willoway, are you suggesting that we will see a lot of TSL skater interviews coming out of SLC in the coming weeks? That would make sense. I was expecting more of a live, here we are in SLC type of interview as their remote interview format seems to be working fine.
    I don't know that and actually I didn't even intend to suggest it, but yes, it does make sense. What I was trying to point out was that TSL had full access to anyone who wanted to talk to them (forget any conspiracy theory re: the USFSA) - as you suggest, what they achieved with that access may yet to be seen.
    Last edited by Willowway; 09-16-2013 at 07:49 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilyich View Post
    It's true that Project Rungay/Tom and Lorenzo had a much more professional look even when it was small, but in defense of TSL, it's also much easier to have that look when your content is commenting on images taken by professional photographers. The only thing that T&L really had to concern themselves with for many years other than being snarky was the design of the site which was a trivial matter for what they were doing. For TSL to be able to do its lengthy video interviews in a more professional setting and manner, it would have to have a lot of cash to cover frequent travel to meet subjects at times that are convenient for them, high quality equipment, additional staff, etc. I am not a fan, but I understand why their interviews are "from the bedroom".
    I don't think that's how TLo started out; IIRC they were mainly using screencaps and I believe in some cases they still do. But it's true that it's harder to get a polished look if you're doing videos rather than more static content. I've written before that I think TSL would benefit from more written content rather than being almost exclusively a video blog.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fabrichnova View Post
    The Moore-Towers/Moscovitch interview was planned before SLC. They weren't "running around the stands" asking to interview anyone.
    Good. I wasn't stating that they had. I was responding to another poster who suggested that with all those skaters sitting in the arena something should have been happening if the USFSA hadn't prevented it (conspiracy theory). I was pointing out that "running around the stands" was fan-ish, meaning that skater tushies in seats might not necessary mean lots of interviews. Glad to hear they didn't do that.
    Last edited by Willowway; 09-16-2013 at 07:50 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    I don't think that's how TLo started out; IIRC they were mainly using screencaps and I believe in some cases they still do. But it's true that it's harder to get a polished look if you're doing videos rather than more static content. I've written before that I think TSL would benefit from more written content rather than being almost exclusively a video blog.
    Yeah, you're right that their Project Runway coverage used screencaps. I was thinking of when they'd comment about what celebs were wearing. A lot of those posts involved pics taken on the red carpet by the press. That was introduced a bit later I think, but I don't remember the exact timeline.

Anyway, your point is a good one. It'd be smart for TSL to include more written content on its site.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    But it's true that it's harder to get a polished look if you're doing videos rather than more static content.
    It's not that hard to put a screen or some kind of divider behind your computer chair, so that the viewers don't have to look at closet doors or furniture in the background.
    We live in an ageist society where everything is based on youth, but I hated being 18. I don't like teenagers any more now than I did then. I'm 49 now and there is no way that I'd go back to my teens and 20s - even if I knew what I know now, I don't want to go through all that again. I found it a very difficult time. - Buzz Osborne of the Melvins

Page 28 of 30 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 LastLast