Page 25 of 30 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast
    I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    They are limited in space. I suspect their recap will be a video.

Besides, they just retweeted Phil Hersh's tweet:

Source just confirmed that @GraceEGold is going to join Frank Carroll. Odd time for coach switch. Oly year panic?

Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    That's true. Maybe we should all apply for a press credential and start crying when we're denied.
    I know I cried when the ISU stopped giving FSU press credentials .
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    Given that TSL's posts are predictably obsessed with Kwan still, I'm guessing Aunt Joyce is doing most of the posting. Hopefully Jenny will do some reporting.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by twizzlesizzle View Post
    So as I'm sitting here, reading about SLC tonight, I see that TSL is headed for the exits after Chris Caluza's performance. Um, if you're going to cover an event, cover the event. Don't leave halfway through.
    Well since they didn't get the press credential they can do what they want.

Hiding Johnny's Birkins
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fenway2 View Post
    Given that TSL's posts are predictably obsessed with Kwan still, I'm guessing Aunt Joyce is doing most of the posting. Hopefully Jenny will do some reporting.
    Jenny was posting most of day one, as she made note of Dave's swooning over Max's skatewear. If you watch the newest This and That segment, it's evident that they were the head cheerleaders in that Max fangirl section.
    THANK YOU Aliona and Robin, Dai, Mao, Carolina, Akiko, all the skaters who retired after the Olympics, and yes, even you Jeremy)!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    I just can't get over that a freaking SENIOR B is geoblocked. Come on, get over your ego, USFSA!
    I know first-hand now it sucks - but considering no USFS qualifying competitions or US Nats are on this list, I'm blaming the ISU.
    http://web.icenetwork.com/help/blackout

vCash
    I thought it was about tv broadcasting rights.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fenway2 View Post
    I sat near Dave and Jennifer during the pairs and men's free skates. Dave was the one tweeting during the majority of the programs.

vCash
    I took a look and I guessed Dave was doing the tweeting and Jenny maybe the facebook. The tweets were better suited to an FSU pbp thread and not so much to someone who kept showing pictures of the "crowded" press section moaning they weren't deemed legitimate enough for a press pass. I think based on the tweets alone it isn't surprising.

Blergh
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AJ Skatefan View Post
    Well since they didn't get the press credential they can do what they want.
    I think they probably would have done the same thing they are doing now with or without the press credential.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lara View Post
    I know first-hand now it sucks - but considering no USFS qualifying competitions or US Nats are on this list, I'm blaming the ISU.
    http://web.icenetwork.com/help/blackout
    Well, since Euros is NOT on that list but IN is broadcasting them, I remain inclined to blame the USFSA.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    I think they probably would have done the same thing they are doing now with or without the press credential.
    I had the same impression. One gets the sense that USFS understood this would be the case.

The one comment which I thought was particularly searing zing, was the tweet about Zhang and Bartholomay's pairs short program. "Program not Olympic worthy. Very sectional champion"

Kind of a huge slap in face regardless of context, but especially so if one knows that at one time Dave Lease referred to Felicia fondly as his "adopted daughter" in his AUNT JOYCE blog:
    http://auntjoycesicecreamstand.blogs...1_archive.html

I am most impressed with my 'adopted daughter' Felicia Zhang, who is coming along splendidly in both singles and pairs. Felicia is quite the consistent competitor and always manages to lands her jumps and throws with strong flowing edges. My daughter has taken to pairs skating so quickly that it is easy to see her becoming one of best pairs skaters in the country in no time. She will hereby be referred to as Kyoko for displaying that kind of competitive intensity and reliability. Even her level 4 skating mom would have to be impressed with the triple flips and triple lutzes that she has been landing. This is a girl who was only attempting a triple toe at Regionals a few months ago.

A simple google search will reveal all sorts of complimentary mentions from his blog, back in 2010.

Fast forward a few years and using the projection and bandwidth of twitter, he slams them in what I think is an especially harsh way.

One wonders if ANY skater seeing this will EVER be naive enough to trust them (him) again. I mean, who needs that kind of commentary being generated when you are in the running for an Olympic or ISU Championship team slot? I would think they feel horrible enough about not having strong skates. Then to have someone who presumably was a "friend" turning on you so publicly. I was like "wow!" But - they are educated journalists and this is what they do. THEY are not naive. They know exactly what they are doing and the consequences it has on the feelings of skaters and their families, and have expressed repeatedly on their podcasts, that they really don't care, it doesn't bother them, attack us - "haha"

Here's to hoping Felicia has people in her corner who support her through thick and thin, ups and downs, and the journey ahead. The world is sadly full of people who will dump you and dump ON you the moment you "stumble" and that is when you know who is truly by your side or not.
    Last edited by leapfrogonice; 09-14-2013 at 04:29 PM.

vCash
    I find Lease's mannerisms in the TSL vlog very distracting, in particular the most recent one for the SLC event. It felt like I was watching Wendy Williams commentating for a vlog on the Logo Network. The USFSA doesn't need TSL for anything - now or in the future; Just let them drift off and do their own things.

vCash
    Have to say I love TSL and both hosts- I think the snarkier tone makes it fun and different. I enjoyed their worlds recaps probably as much or more as watching Worlds (on the Latvian feed) itself. And the interviews are great especially in this era where we don't have skating on every weekend and barely get to know these skaters at all until an Olympics. Is it traditional journalism? No, of course not. But when there are like two people sitting in the media section, I don't get how it makes sense for USFSA to give them the cold shoulder. They seem like two people who love the sport and want to talk about it frequently and in depth in a time when figure skating fans seem to be dwindling and figure skating coverage is sparse. I don't see how that can be a bad thing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    Well, since Euros is NOT on that list but IN is broadcasting them, I remain inclined to blame the USFSA.
    If it wasn't on the list before, it is now unfortunately.
    2014 European Speed Skating Championships (Jan. 10-12, 2014)
    2014 European Figure Skating Championships (Jan. 13-19, 2014)

But this is OT so sorry.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lauren329 View Post
    But when there are like two people sitting in the media section, I don't get how it makes sense for USFSA to give them the cold shoulder.
    I just watched the This and That about Day 1. I enjoyed it, as a little niche vlog; but I can see how USFSA wouldn't want to give them a credential. They'd have to give everyone on this site who filed for a credential one. Because it wasn't really reporting, it was just gossip. I like watching it, but my husband asked me if I was watching children doing a youtube video based on their tone and comments (he couldn't see the screen). He would not believe me when I said I think she was my age (she's 2 years younger than me), to the point I looked it up to make sure she wasn't just like 20 and I had my years wrong.

If they want credentials, they'll need to set a much more professional tone. But other than the ridiculous decision that skaters would have to play to an empty side by the judges; what difference did it make they didn't get press credentials? I'm pretty sure they did exactly what they would have done either way. It's not like the fan side was too crowded for them to set up... If it was a huge event in a massive arena, maybe they wouldn't have had access to the skaters to interview, but in the small arena/rec center set up they described, with most of the US skaters sitting in the crowd to watch other events, they seem to still be able to arrange private interviews too. They don't need the press credential.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Fair Use can be applied to video on the Internet, at least in some cases:

http://www.salon.com/2013/09/13/pat_...um%29_7_30_110
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFan66 View Post
    I sat near Dave and Jennifer during the pairs and men's free skates. Dave was the one tweeting during the majority of the programs.
    Thanks. That's exactly what's I thought. Jenny deserves better.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leapfrogonice View Post
    One wonders if ANY skater seeing this will EVER be naive enough to trust them (him) again. I mean, who needs that kind of commentary being generated when you are in the running for an Olympic or ISU Championship team slot? I would think they feel horrible enough about not having strong skates. Then to have someone who presumably was a "friend" turning on you so publicly. I was like "wow!" But - they are educated journalists and this is what they do. THEY are not naive. They know exactly what they are doing and the consequences it has on the feelings of skaters and their families, and have expressed repeatedly on their podcasts, that they really don't care, it doesn't bother them, attack us - "haha"

Here's to hoping Felicia has people in her corner who support her through thick and thin, ups and downs, and the journey ahead. The world is sadly full of people who will dump you and dump ON you the moment you "stumble" and that is when you know who is truly by your side or not.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ THIS 100%

Ann Jensen's tweets are right there with TSL. I understand the ability to criticize and evaluate performances, costumes, etc. I'm a well-rounded educator and adjudicator and have the ability to constructively comment and react to things, but over the past few days, TSL is undoing a lot of the "good" things they may have done in the past. They have addressed the issues of disorders and such in the sport, but they've turned right around and instead of being a hopeful, helpful insight to the sport, they just slammed everyone, well, except for Max and Davis/White. To openly tweet that programs aren't going to medal and things of that nature and worse, then expect that these athletes are then going to turn around and interview with them? The word is going to spread very quickly amongst the skaters, if it hasn't already, to stay away from Jenny and/or Dave when they are nearby.

TSL is not promoting anything. As others stated, they have their own agenda. Jenny is apparently still stuck over differences with men in her past, and Dave feeds off it (see all the "Lysacek Like" tweets). If Jenny wants to be seen as anything credible in the future in the sport of skating, she needs to fix herself now. She needs to realize that if she wants to make a positive difference in bringing people to the sport, that Dave is NOT going to help her. He's using her to get to the skaters and inside the world itself. THEY share the TSL name. There will be no individual success in this venture. They will either succeed or fail together and it seems Jenny has more to lose than Dave does. If, however, she is naive enough to keep her stance and continue down the TSL path of destruction, eventually, someone will approach her (or them) and tell them they are no longer welcome.

An after thought... They have the D/W SD on their facebook page, via youtube. This is a video that someone taped off of IN then posted to youtube. Can't imagine that's a legal video!!! HAHAHA.
    Last edited by twizzlesizzle; 09-14-2013 at 09:55 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by twizzlesizzle View Post
    If Jenny wants to be seen as anything credible in the future in the sport of skating, she needs to fix herself now. She needs to realize that if she wants to make a positive difference in bringing people to the sport, that Dave is NOT going to help her.
    This x 1,000. I thought Jenny was heading big places when she began writing that very insightful blog. Hooking up with Aunt Joyce was the worst thing for her career prospects. Such a shame she's too close to him to realize that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lara View Post
    If it wasn't on the list before, it is now unfortunately.
    2014 European Speed Skating Championships (Jan. 10-12, 2014)
    2014 European Figure Skating Championships (Jan. 13-19, 2014)

But this is OT so sorry.
    NO! The bastards!

Page 25 of 30 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast