Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    vCash
    I think it's a being-behind-the-times and not-valuing-digital/social-media issue. Really, the USFSA should value and thank TSL because Jenny and Dave have done more to connect fans to the skaters and coaches in the past year than any major broadcasting station or news outlet has in the last 50 years. I am a bigger fan of Ashley Wagner today because I watched TSL's interview. USFSA, if you are reading this, please kindly reconsider!

-----
    Edited because of a typo
    Last edited by Suze; 08-29-2013 at 02:09 AM.

vCash
    I hope they still attend anyway. They provide unique coverage and generate interest amongst fans, even during the offseason when skating fans tend to be relatively bored. USFS needs to try to work with them, not against them. Frankly, USFS should be glad people actually want to come and cover their Senior B competition. If you don't want your competition getting any attention, how do you expect spectators to be interested enough to attend?
    Last edited by stjeaskategym; 08-29-2013 at 01:48 AM.

vCash
    Although I don't always agree with what they say, I would much rather have them there that annoying Michael Buckley.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueRidge View Post
    Why aren't they media? They aren't by the USFS's criteria but that doesn't mean they couldn't be considered so under expanded criteria. I think USFS should look at expanding their criteria and developing relations with unconventional media. It really could be of value to promoting figure skating.
    But where do you draw the line? If I start a blog and/or a YouTube channel, should I qualify as media? No. So why should they?

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    Blogs are media. So are youtube channels. So were mimeograph newsletters back in the day.

Its up to an organization like the USFS to decide their criteria for credentialing. I just think they would do well for themselves if they made their criteria more flexible.
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vocal View Post
    I think Jenny and Dave bring a fresh breeze to the business. So not understandable to me why USFS does not take advantage of their energy/spirit. What are the concerns? It would be a great credit to the arch-conservative world of figure skating to open up for a different approach to figure skating.
    I would love to know the rationale. Either USFS is protecting IceNetwork, or, perhaps, if they let The Skating Lesson bloggers in, it opens a door to anyone with a pod cast. They are dissing a fairly iconic US Figure Skater here. Not really a genius move. (IMO)
    DH - and that's just my opinion

vCash
    Oh, say! Can you see.. by the dawn's early light....O'er the land of the free ~ and the home of the brave. (??!)

A great pity on the attempting of censorship by the USFSA now looks kind of silly, almost tyrannical and draconian in their controlling of the press. Michael Buckley is in but not these 2? GS even locked that thread. I bet China is not this bad? On the other hand there's no such thing as a Jenny and Dave equivalent in China. I can't imagine the soft hearted Lulu ever get this snarky, though she can certainly 'hold an edge and look sexy'!

On a serious note, I am a huge fan of TSL, but I did worry about their all too honest approach including recent feedback piece on Scott's comments might have some serious negative impact on their accessibility on the inner circle of 'trustees' of the skating's worlds elites. Just didn't expect they been shun by the mother of all big brothers themselves.

On the positive side, it is all part of the learning experience, and once they proved themselves (more fan support, more demand, more great interviews), maybe they can broke and bash the PR gate wide open. They are very much doing Gorilla Media at the moment, and it takes brave souls and much hard work (that certainly included failures including fauxpas) to do what they are trying to do.
    Last edited by os168; 08-29-2013 at 09:43 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    I hadn't realized that TSL had "energized skating insiders and fans" to any measurable degree. It's remarkable that fans would be motivated to boycott a completely unrelated competition based on this non-incident. That will certainly show USFSA!
    I can spend my dollars at Skate Canada instead if I so choose. That thought is just a notional reaction obviously (this is a skating board and I'm allowed to vent), and you are being callous to minimize my principled view by focusing on this. It is trite to use the old "nobody will care if you boycott" argument to dismiss me. So let's stick with your first more substantive point. You feel there is no energy or interest in skating related to TSL. So many of skating's glitterati have been participating in interviews with Ms. Kirk and Mr. Lease and talking their heads off. There are legendary skaters apparently requesting to be interviewed. It is not like this online show is a newspaper article for the high school paper. There are viewers of and interest in TSL. There have been some stories and impassioned discussions on fan boards. For whatever internet chat is worth, TSL's presence has been notable. It is probably less deniable that TSL has made an impression on the sport's past and present stars and leading coaches-- so many of whom are requesting to be featured.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by morqet View Post
    4. Internet sites that will not be credentialed: personal page publishers, discussion board/chat rooms, and subscription-based sites. [/I]
    Does this mean that Phil Hersh is no longer able to get a credential? Because you can't read his articles without a sign in. (Or maybe he never went to events, just wrote about them later...)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    Does this mean that Phil Hersh is no longer able to get a credential? Because you can't read his articles without a sign in. (Or maybe he never went to events, just wrote about them later...)
    Hersh is a paid employee of a recognized media outlet and would be qualified to receive credentials under that criteria. The newspaper has a web presence but would not be considered internet media--just as NBC Sports, for example, has a web presence but is not considered internet media.

vCash
    To be a part of mainstream media you have to have a certain amount of required professionalism and David at times comes off bitchy. Being snarky and making comments like David did about wanting to see Even Sarah and Rachael be put on an island does not make his case for being someone that should be taken seriously as a journalist right now. I watch and enjoy their show but they need to prove themselves and sometimes they come off rather childish.

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    In that case Phil Hersh shouldn't be taken seriously as a journalist either.
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

vCash
    I stopped listening to their interviews after finding how bias and unprofessional their behavior could be. JMO.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    vCash
    Space reasons? Were there capacity crowds at the SLC event last year?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    I hadn't realized that TSL had "energized skating insiders and fans" to any measurable degree.
    They haven't, and this is 100% the right decision. If they "deserve" a press pass, any of us do.

vCash
    I'm stuck on the phrase "skating glitterati" and can't stop imagining skaters shining like Twilight vampires.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    a shimmering, glowing star in the skating firmament
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    To be a part of mainstream media you have to have a certain amount of required professionalism and David at times comes off bitchy. Being snarky and making comments like David did about wanting to see Even Sarah and Rachael be put on an island does not make his case for being someone that should be taken seriously as a journalist right now. I watch and enjoy their show but they need to prove themselves and sometimes they come off rather childish.
    I agree - I don't find them professional. And Jen's voice is hard to listen to IMO - whiny. It is not her fault, but voice tone and quality are important when it comes to broadcast journalism.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by essence_of_soy View Post
    Space reasons? Were there capacity crowds at the SLC event last year?
    From what we've been told by people who attended last year, there was room for spectators in the bleachers last year.

But perhaps the real question is how much room there is "backstage" to accommodate journalists as well as the skaters and officials. This isn't a large arena where an event like Nationals or even Skate America would be held, so the facilities would be more limited and maybe they have to limit the number of media credentials more than they do at those higher-profile events.

However, perhaps the (so-far scheduled) presence of a reigning Olympic champion at the first event of a new Olympic season has attracted more representatives of established mainstream media with audiences beyond skating fandom than the same event last year, leaving even less space available for online-only and skating-specific media, which are lower down on the priority list.

Just guessing, along with everyone else in this thread.

vCash
    I agree. The 8/25 "This and That" was filled with critical, bitchy comments about Chritina Gao, Oda, Chan, Lysecek, Flatt, and anyone who dared to skate to music Jenny may have used. They do very good interviews but their catty, mean, childish comments undermine any professional journalism to which they might aspire.

Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast