Page 1 of 30 12311 ... LastLast

vCash

Jenny Kirk and Dave Lease denied Press Credential at SLC event

Quote from TSL Facebook (given permission to put it here):

This past January, Jennifer Kirk and I poured our hearts into The Skating Lesson as a way of bringing the sport of figure skating back to the people who love it the most: the participants and fans. Dismayed by years of evaporating coverage, we launched a Youtube series aimed at raising discussing, engaging viewers and revealing the unique personalities in our sport. Immediately, Mitch Moyer of the USFS attempted to put a stop to our show by calling each of us 15 times during the course of a 45-minute period. After many wonderful shows, interviews and experiences, it is our deep regret to inform you that U.S. Figure Skating has denied our credential to the upcoming U.S. International Figure Skating Classic due to 'space reasons.' We had lined up many interviews with athletes and coaches and planned to provide a unique behind-the-scenes look for our viewers. If you disagree with their decision, please contact rfelton@usfigureskating.org

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    i'm sure they are disappointed but they can still go and do their interviews. i dont think asking their fans to send emails to the usfsa will be very productive. i also dont think it is professional.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    Interesting. What's behind this decision? Is there really a space problem? Was USFSA flooded with media requests? Or do they think this is a competitor for Icenetwork? Or is this channel is not regarded as a professional media? Obviously TLS still can go to Salt Lake and do their interviews in the hotel or whereever, they don't need to be at press conferences (if there are any). But I understand that they are frustrated not to be officially recognized as media.

vCash
    Whoa! This is nasty and mean spirited of the USFSA but, then again, it's the USFSA: Whatever online material they cannot CONTROL is considered 'bad' material. I'm sure that 'Aunt Joyce' has been denied a press pass too.

Press-on with your great work, Jenny & Dave! Thanks for your candor, always presented in good taste, e.g., the recent dignified presentation and questions during MaryBeth Marley's interview. Now, more than ever, we look forward to your post-report on the SLC event (and beyond).
    Last edited by Frau Muller; 08-29-2013 at 12:27 AM.

vCash
    I think Jenny and Dave bring a fresh breeze to the business. So not understandable to me why USFS does not take advantage of their energy/spirit. What are the concerns? It would be a great credit to the arch-conservative world of figure skating to open up for a different approach to figure skating.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Eislauffan View Post
    Interesting. What's behind this decision? Is there really a space problem? Was USFSA flooded with media requests? Or do they think this is a competitor for Icenetwork? Or is this channel is not regarded as a professional media?
    They still haven't decided whether they are going to be the next Perez Hilton or the next Tatjana Flade.

vCash
    I don't see a problem - they aren't a professional media organisation, and the USFSA rules about accreditation are very clear:

U.S. Figure Skating will issue media credentials to members of the working press only. By definition, a member of the working press shall be a paid employee or representative of a known and established media organization.

and on web based media in particular

Credentials for Internet sites staffed by full-time employees with the intent of reporting for news purposes shall be granted credentials as space allows.

1. The site must have a demonstrated record of SUSTAINED, ORIGINAL NEWS CONTENT on figure skating. The site’s own full-time staff must write an overwhelming percentage of that site’s material.
    2. Coverage must be part of the news portion of the site and must not purport to be live, play-by-play or real time in nature.
    3. The site must furnish, on the credential request form, certifiable traffic numbers of monthly visitors from an established auditing firm (Nielsen, etc.). Hit counters will not fulfill this requirement.
    4. Internet sites that will not be credentialed: personal page publishers, discussion board/chat rooms, and subscription-based sites.

I don't think Dave & Jenny are full time staff, they don't really have original news content, but more opinion pieces, and you could easily define TSL as personal page publishing.

http://www.usfsa.org/content/0607-credguidelines.pdf

vCash
    USFSA hath spoken. So predictable. How many untraditional forms of media have had 'the rules' thrown at them through the years. Press on. I would rather watch Jenny and Dave's reports than filtered lilywashing. Jenny & Dave have the numbers - interested fans and afficionados - behind them.

vCash
    Didn't they say at one point that the USFSA was really excited about their interviews and would encourage people to accept invitations?

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by morqet View Post
    I don't see a problem - they aren't a professional media organisation, and the USFSA rules about accreditation are very clear:

U.S. Figure Skating will issue media credentials to members of the working press only. By definition, a member of the working press shall be a paid employee or representative of a known and established media organization.

Credentials for Internet sites staffed by full-time employees with the intent of reporting for news purposes shall be granted credentials as space allows.

1. The site must have a demonstrated record of SUSTAINED, ORIGINAL NEWS CONTENT on figure skating. The site’s own full-time staff must write an overwhelming percentage of that site’s material.
    2. Coverage must be part of the news portion of the site and must not purport to be live, play-by-play or real time in nature.
    3. The site must furnish, on the credential request form, certifiable traffic numbers of monthly visitors from an established auditing firm (Nielsen, etc.). Hit counters will not fulfill this requirement.
    4. Internet sites that will not be credentialed: personal page publishers, discussion board/chat rooms, and subscription-based sites.

I don't think Dave & Jenny are full time staff, they don't really have original news content, but more opinion pieces, and you could easily define TSL as personal page publishing.

This is very old fashioned criteria. I think USFS as it hopes to broaden interest in figure skating needs to be more flexible. I don't have any comment on TSL in particular, I don't follow it, but figure skating being a niche sport, online media and unconventional media could be really helpful to it.

That said, attacking USFS about it will probably only make them dismiss the subject.
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

vCash
    It seems fairly simple to me - they aren't media and therefore won't be given media accreditation and privileges. I'm not sure what the fuss is about.

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    Why aren't they media? They aren't by the USFS's criteria but that doesn't mean they couldn't be considered so under expanded criteria. I think USFS should look at expanding their criteria and developing relations with unconventional media. It really could be of value to promoting figure skating.
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

vCash
    Well, consider how long it took for USFS to get IceNetwork up and running. They're not exactly known for being ahead of the curve when it comes to "new media." So, yes, unfortunately, TSL doesn't fulfill their outdated criteria for media. I hope they can both still go and get their interviews.
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Habs View Post
    It seems fairly simple to me - they aren't media and therefore won't be given media accreditation and privileges. I'm not sure what the fuss is about.
    And the media accreditation policy is very similar to those I can find on the web for various professional and college sports as well as tour promoters and other events. Owning a blog or running a youtube channel is not proving to be a ticket to grabbing press credentials.

vCash
    But the world of skating journalists is very small and TSL is a noteworthy addition. TSL doesn't only offer opinions but has regular in-depth interviews with important people in the skating world. The USFS is being stuffy. And why? Does it cost money to give out press credentials or is it truly nothing but a control issue?

vCash
    You know this is mean spirited, and I'm sure it was unnecessary. Why try to deny a show that has energized skating insiders and fans from covering and publicizing events? The USFSA has given and does give credentials to school news papers with fewer readers than an FSU Trash Can thread. This looks like an ill-thought out snub of some kind. I will not relent until there is some explanation for a decision like this. We should send the proper messages to the USFSA that it is not looking out for its own interests or its reputation among fans. I am tempted to boycott Skate America.
    Last edited by TheIronLady; 08-29-2013 at 01:31 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by morqet View Post

If this is the case why did they (the USFS) not give this as the reason for denying the credential? They said it was a space issue, not that TSL didn't meet the criteria.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spun Silver View Post
    But the world of skating journalists is very small and TSL is a noteworthy addition. TSL doesn't only offer opinions but has regular in-depth interviews with important people in the skating world. The USFS is being stuffy. And why? Does it cost money to give out press credentials or is it truly nothing but a control issue?
    For most events, there is a cost involved in press credentials. They typically include parking, a hospitality area with food, plus media guides and the actual physical credential. There is also legitimately a space issue for most events as press boxes actually do have limited space available. Opening availability to every freelance photographer, blogger and person with a video camera and a youtube channel is not reasonable for any sport.

Let's be honest, most of us would start blogging immediately if it could score us an all-access media credential for skating events.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    I hadn't realized that TSL had "energized skating insiders and fans" to any measurable degree. It's remarkable that fans would be motivated to boycott a completely unrelated competition based on this non-incident. That will certainly show USFSA!
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    It's a pretty short-sighted policy if you ask me. I've gotten them for events (non-skating) and places that I write about. You just state your case to the powers that be. It's not like USFS doesn't know who Jenny Kirk is.

Page 1 of 30 12311 ... LastLast