11 12.50%
  • Cappelini & Lanotte

11 12.50%
  • other

12 13.64%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Who would be you early choice for 2015 world ice dance champion

I know it is a long way out but next season in ice dance will be very interesting with C&L coming back as world champions, a title nobody expected them to ever attain. Weaver & Poje finally having the breakthrough at worlds last year, and many starting to tab them as the next dominant team. Bobrova & Soloviev making a comeback from injuries and a down season, but back to Russian #1 probably for now due to I&K's split. Then up and coming teams from all of Russia (the two former I&K teams and some others), U.S (Chock & Bates, Shibutanis, and several others), and Canada (Gilles & Poirier, Paul & Islam) and even from the rest of Europe (Hurtado & Diaz, Coomes & Buckland, etc..) It seems pretty obvious the gold medal will probably go to one of the 3 favorites though, unless V&M or D&W make a shock return as soon as worlds next year. Who would be your predicted winner right now.

vCash
    I think C/L will take another one. I don't think B/S are world champ. material unless they come up with some amazing programs. I think W/P will be relegated to second place until Virtue/Moir confirm that they're never coming back to amateur competition.

vCash
    Bobrova/Soloviev

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    I think C/L will take another one. I don't think B/S are world champ. material unless they come up with some amazing programs. I think W/P will be relegated to second place until Virtue/Moir confirm that they're never coming back to amateur competition.
    While W&P might not win, it is laughable to think their chances hinge on V&M "announcing" their retirement, which will probably never happen anyway as most skaters don't go through that official process anymore. As long as V&M aren't actually competing, W&P will get full Canadian #1 backing and treatment, regardless if V&M announce their retirement or not.

vCash
    Slim pickin's indeed. I think the betting favorites would probably have to be Cappelini/Lanotte. There was some sentiment expressed a few months ago that TPTB were not going to let another North American team near the top for a while, and they may be right. While Weaver/Poje are very, very good, they don't have enough of the magic "it" factor to get past that. While warming up the two teams spawned from the I/K split, the Russians would rather keep the title with a placeholder than let another younger team move up.

I think we will see a lot of movement in dance between the 2015 Worlds and 2017, kind of like we saw after 2006.

Looking back at 2007 Worlds, the top two teams retired before the next Olympics. The third team (Belbin & Agosto) while still 2nd at 09 Worlds, ended up 4th in Vancouver. The eventual Olympic medalists placed 6th (Virtue/Moir), 7th (Davis/White) and 5th (Domina/Shabalin) at 2007 Worlds.

vCash
    That would be depressing to think a weak team like Cappelini/Lanotte could end up with as many World titles as V/M or D/W.
    Last edited by Jammers; 07-14-2014 at 09:11 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by joubertelegant View Post
    While W&P might not win, it is laughable to think their chances hinge on V&M "announcing" their retirement, which will probably never happen anyway as most skaters don't go through that official process anymore. As long as V&M aren't actually competing, W&P will get full Canadian #1 backing and treatment, regardless if V&M announce their retirement or not.
    SC already started backing up WP a long time ago. There is a reason why their scores were so mcuh closer to VM at Nationals and SCI than at other international competitions. But it paid off in the end even wtih VM gone SC still has a team on the podium.

vCash
    Weaver and Poje will win. They are a way better team than the Italians or Russians. It would be a travesty and a continuation of terrible dance judging if they don't, but with a strong Skate Canada federation now fully behind them, and being by far the best team with the retirements/splits of all of V&M, D&W, P&B, and I&K, I cant see them not getting it if they deliver. I don't think the Europeans will stop a NA team from returning to the top, even one less outstanding right now than V&M and D&W, if there is no really good European team to stop them, and there isn't one.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    That would be depressing to think a weak team like Cappelini/Lanotte could end up with as many World titles as V/T or D/W.
    Well V/T will still be competing so they might well distance themselves yet!

I voted for and think it will be W/P, but I've never really warmed up to this team so would rather it be C/L (at least they're uber cute and expressive to me). My crack hope though would be if Elena and Ruslan Zhiganshin shocks and awes and takes it Or, not holding my breath but maybe V/M will make a comeback just for Worlds (did they say they were sitting out the entire season as D/W did or just the GPs?). In any case, I'm hoping for some shake-up and for some new players to crack into contention (and I don't mean Chock/Bates ... but something like the Spaniards if they have another Picasso-like awesome program!).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Meteorlight View Post
    Well V/T will still be competing so they might well distance themselves yet!

I voted for and think it will be W/P, but I've never really warmed up to this team so would rather it be C/L (at least they're uber cute and expressive to me). My crack hope though would be if Elena and Ruslan Zhiganshin shocks and awes and takes it Or, not holding my breath but maybe V/M will make a comeback just for Worlds (did they say they were sitting out the entire season as D/W did or just the GPs?). In any case, I'm hoping for some shake-up and for some new players to crack into contention (and I don't mean Chock/Bates ... but something like the Spaniards if they have another Picasso-like awesome program!).
    I think V/M said they were sitting out the GPs but hadn't made a decision about the second half of the season.

vCash
    Get real on V&M. They are done. Of course they wont announce it, as that would be crazy. When skaters make their retirement official the endorsements and offers dry up, especialy in this day of little to no pro skating. They will remain unretired for atleast the next 4 years, but never compete again. They will probably even do some commercials in the leadup to Korea, but announce near the date they wont be at Nationals 2018. Same with Davis & White, although unlike V&M I do feel a tiny chance of them returning at some point.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ladygagafan View Post
    Weaver and Poje will win. They are a way better team than the Italians or Russians.
    I wouldn't go as far as "way better". At times they have looked very strong, but they can also be surprisingly off (like in the SD in Sochi). IMO more than most teams, W/P can look pretty middling or pretty impressive from one program to the next. I think the right music choices are especially important for them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Susan M View Post
    There was some sentiment expressed a few months ago that TPTB were not going to let another North American team near the top for a while, and they may be right.
    Considering Weaver & Poje won silver at worlds ahead of teams like I&K and P&B, and missed gold by 0.02, I would say they have already been wrong, thus there is no chance for "they may be right" as we speak.

vCash
    Chock/Bates will win

vCash
    I could see Chock & Bates win the 2016 worlds in the U.S in fact, if they make a move in 2015 and win a bronze or silver at worlds.

vCash
    I would love to see Chock Bates win with the right program.

vCash
    Anyone but Poje and that woman he skates with.

vCash
    ^...

vCash
    Navka could probably still win, even at 80... this field is rather pathetic.

I predict the Shibutanis. then they drop off again ala 2011.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Karpenko View Post
    Navka could probably still win, even at 80... this field is rather pathetic.

I predict the Shibutanis. then they drop off again ala 2011.
    Well Navka on her own has more charisma and performance ability in her than most teams do, so I wouldn't be opposed to seeing more of her.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast