Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: VMAs

vCash
    This is one of those things where a young adult is in the unfortunate position of having her growing pains behavior on the national stage. I like Miley and I like her energy and can sympathize with a 20 year old desire to be cutting edge (or what you think is cutting edge). Hopefully she has enough internal gravitas to navigate through this.
    What would Jenny do?

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by snoopy View Post
    This is one of those things where a young adult is in the unfortunate position of having her growing pains behavior on the national stage. I like Miley and I like her energy and can sympathize with a 20 year old desire to be cutting edge (or what you think is cutting edge). Hopefully she has enough internal gravitas to navigate through this.
    Or accepts better advice about how to accomplish her goals.

But since the wretched "We Can't Stop" turned out to be a hit, who knows? I thought the most part of the whole thing was that MTV bleeped out "molly" but left in, well, everything else.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    Or accepts better advice about how to accomplish her goals.

But since the wretched "We Can't Stop" turned out to be a hit, who knows? I thought the most part of the whole thing was that MTV bleeped out "molly" but left in, well, everything else.
    I must be older than all of you- don't know what "twerking" is, have seen several references to "Molly" but don't know what that is either. Also, what was up with the teddy bears??

Has Robin Thicke made any public statements about it? Here's a guy, mid-thirties, that hasn't had huge mainstream success until "Blurred Lines." I believe it was his first VMA performance and like it or not, he had the song of the summer. It was his "moment" that was totally overshadowed. He can't be too happy. During the performance, he was basically ignoring her while she was grinding all over him. Wonder who told him it would be a good idea??? I wonder what his wife thinks??

The whole thing was gross.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Twizzler View Post
    I must be older than all of you- don't know what "twerking" is, have seen several references to "Molly" but don't know what that is either. Also, what was up with the teddy bears??
    Molly is a drug nickname, can't recall for what- heroin maybe? It's like calling marijuana Mary Jane.

No idea what the hell is up with the teddy bears, though they appear in the video too (honestly, the video is worse than the VMA act, I just watched that...) The thing that is slightly better about the video is that the teddy bear people are not all black women. I think Miley is getting a TON of (deserved) heat about cultural appropriation of the twerking and a virtual minstrel show and objectification of black women (The butt slapping has really upset quite a few bloggers too, but the not at all subtle 'these women are animals'- eek) in addition to her slut shaming for the gross performance she put on.

vCash
    Tasteless, and perhaps overcompensating for Hanna, but her choice. And, it is the VMA's after all. However, I did like this take:

http://sexologist.tumblr.com/post/59...-2013-mtv-vmas

vCash
    delete
    Last edited by znachki; 08-27-2013 at 08:46 PM. Reason: trouble with browser

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    I must be older than all of you- don't know what "twerking" is, have seen several references to "Molly" but don't know what that is either.
    Twerking is a way of shaking your butt. That was a new one for me.

Molly is a nickname for Ecstasy. That one I already knew.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    I must be older than all of you- don't know what "twerking" is, have seen several references to "Molly" but don't know what that is either.
    Twerking is a way of shaking your butt. That was a new one for me.

Molly is a nickname for Ecstasy. That one I already knew.

Forbes apparently admires Miley's entrepreneurial style: http://www.forbes.com/sites/zackomal...ack-of-awards/

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by heckles View Post
    I hate it when the lackluster offspring of some famous guy from the 1990s tries to prove maturity by acting like a skank.

I wasn't impressed with Miley either.
    I see what you did there.

On the one hand....how totally....expected. Every coming of age former teen pop star goes through the slutty phase. And, let's face it, dancers are supposed to express physically the nature of the music they're dancing to. Miley's dancing around to a song with lyrics described as "rapey". She's not going to be busting out moves from Swan Lake. And she is absolutely the topic of conversation. Not good conversation, but there's no such thing as bad publicity. I bet Lady Gaga thought that her thong was going to be the topic of conversation. Wrong.

On the other hand....you're given a huge stage and audience of millions....why not try to aim higher than the lowest common denominator? When Madonna was ripping off previous cultural phenomena, it involved mimicking Marlene Dietrich and Marie Antoinette. Miley's mimicking the ratchet-est of video hos. Unless there's some sort of obscure Japanese subculture that she's referencing with the bears and the tongue? (Seriously, what's with the tongue?)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    Twerking is a way of shaking your butt.
    From what I've been told "that's what white people think it is".

Kind of like how "white people got the Harlem Shake all wrong".

Being "white people" though, I really don't know.

vCash
    Aside from the trashy content, the whole dance was awkward and Miley came across as trying way too hard. I was cringing and looking away. The other artists in the audience looked uncomfortable.

vCash
    I teach at an all-boys high school. Today, in the few free minutes they had before the bell, they were talking amongst themselves about the VMA's, with me of course pretending not to be listening. Overwhelming consensuses was "Miley is disgusting", "wouldn't touch her". I was very pleasantly surprised.

Saint Smugpawski
    Cutting Down Privet Because Food Prices Are Going Up Next Year
    vCash
    I simply cannot wait to see what Honey Boo Boo has in store for us in ten years when she decides to stick it to Mama June.
    The fastest thing out of New Jersey since Tricky Nicky in a Muscovian handbasket

vCash
    I simply cannot wait to see what Honey Boo Boo has in store for us in ten years when she decides to stick it to Mama June.
    From what I've seen of that family, sticking it to Mama June would involve getting a college education and having a baby with someone you're married to.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by susan6 View Post
    And, let's face it, dancers are supposed to express physically the nature of the music they're dancing to. Miley's dancing around to a song with lyrics described as "rapey". She's not going to be busting out moves from Swan Lake.
    Yes, I suppose American Ballet Theatre would decline to choreograph to lyrics such as, "I'll give you something big enough to tear your a** in two."

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by susan6 View Post
    Miley's dancing around to a song with lyrics described as "rapey". She's not going to be busting out moves from Swan Lake.
    no, but even some $10 strippers have rhythm and can put on a show. miley dances like some drunk spring breaker right before she starts to hurl. or some poor victim of st vitus dance
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    I don't think Robin Thicke's song blurred lines is a rape like song. I video for We don't stop is a party like sexually intense video. I guess folks had not seen the video and were surprised by on stage performance.

I did think licking the teddy bears butt was too far.

If you look at the performance with Robin Thicke, he looks a little shocked like "we didn't rehearse this". I wonder what his wife Paula Patton thought of it.
    "“My bronze feels like gold,” said the bronze medalist Carolina Kostner

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by professordeb View Post
    I went to look and see what is known as tweaking and I was not impressed on single bit. Looks like "shaking your booty" taken to the next step --looking like a bitch in heat and trying to entice a male to help you out.
    Miley does not have an ass, so I don't what she is doing. She does the same thing in the video.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by topaz View Post
    If you look at the performance with Robin Thicke, he looks a little shocked like "we didn't rehearse this". I wonder what his wife Paula Patton thought of it.
    Paula said she's cool that he pervs on topless chicks in his video, so she doesn't have a lot of room to complain about what happened at the VMAs. Apparently, she's okay with it all. Thicke was probably shocked that someone out-sleazed him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by heckles View Post
    Paula said she's cool that he pervs on topless chicks in his video, so she doesn't have a lot of room to complain about what happened at the VMAs. Apparently, she's okay with it all. Thicke was probably shocked that someone out-sleazed him.
    You're quoting tmz's sources? I don't put much salt into what tabloid bloggers state as " a source close to...". The majority of stuff written about people is false and this I know from personal experience.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast