Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: VMAs

vCash

VMAs

Am I not looking or did no one start a discussion of the MTV video music awards?

vCash
    The horror of Miley Cyrus caused everyone to delete that show from their memories.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Miley Cyrus is amazing and she is ALL OVER the internet and news today. Yeah, she looked and acted a fool but she is getting more press and word-of-mouth than any of the other artists and that includes the big names who opened and closed the show...Gaga and Perry. Miley just released another great single (Wrecking Ball) and she is probably going to ride this wave of attention to another hit single and a #1 album in October. She knew what she was doing and it worked perfectly. Well played, Miley, well played...
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    why can't she keep her tongue in her head? she looks like a giraffe, especially with those hellboy hair horns
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    Miley Cyrus was blah, but I think some of the outrage was hilarious, especially from Mika Brezinski. However, I have to commend Miley for getting people to talk about the VMAs.

vCash
    I found Miley hilariously sad. She looked a child acting out, hoping someone would notice her. And Robin Thicke was basically ignoring her.

vCash
    She's all over tv and internet but as a punch line, not as an outstanding artist that blew everyone away with how great it was. I know the entertainment business believes that any publicity is good publicity, but would anybody really prefer to be known as the joke of the month instead of kick-ass musician? Miley's performance was pathetic!

vCash
    I did not see the whole show; just bits and pieces on CNN. I thought whatever she did was disgusting. Music appeal to one's higher feelings, but somehow many celebrities prefer to appeal to their lowest low.

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    She made Mr. Seaver look like a dirty old man.

vCash
    My favorite part of Miley's performance was the crowd shots; during the Justin Timberlake/Nsync and Bruno Mars performances, everyone was up dancing and singing, yet during Miley's, everyone was stone-faced and some looked like they were trying to hold back laughter.

In my own little fantasy world where life is perfect for me!
    vCash
    Miley was way over the top for me personally, she could have done those numbers without being all slutty ..... but guess she's got the last laugh on everyone. She is all anyone is talking about, which I assume was her goal all along.

In my own little fantasy world where life is perfect for me!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bardtoob View Post
    Way back when he started singing and getting noticed, and before I knew who Robin Thicke was (as in I saw him on TV shows but didn't know his name) I kept wondering why he looked so much like Mike Seaver's dad. Still can't get over how much he looks (and sounds!) like his dad!

vCash
    I don't have cable, so I have only seen Miley's performance. Honestly if she kept her tongue in her mouth it wouldn't have been half as bad (still pretty bad though). Was she trying to be sexy? I'm not sure what that was supposed to be.

And when did performer's stop wearing pants?

Also- Johnny Weir tweeted in was horrible. When HE thinks a performance is over the top awful/outrageous, you know you've gone too far.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by centerstage01 View Post
    I know the entertainment business believes that any publicity is good publicity, but would anybody really prefer to be known as the joke of the month instead of kick-ass musician?
    I hate it when the lackluster offspring of some famous guy from the 1990s tries to prove maturity by acting like a skank.

I wasn't impressed with Miley either.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bardtoob View Post
    That's what I thought. Combining the two of them made crass even more crass. I found the whole thing sad, though. To me, Miley is coming across as kind of pathetic. I guess if she's just looking for short-term attention, it might have worked. But it seems kind of ick and sad to me. You know something's wrong when Nick Cannon's response is to say that he's not going to let his kids be in show business.

ETA: Sometimes less is more. I liked the performance by Macklemore and Lewis (and Lambert and Hudson).
    Last edited by Allskate; 08-27-2013 at 05:35 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    I don't have cable, so I have only seen Miley's performance. Honestly if she kept her tongue in her mouth it wouldn't have been half as bad (still pretty bad though). Was she trying to be sexy? I'm not sure what that was supposed to be.

And when did performer's stop wearing pants?

Also- Johnny Weir tweeted in was horrible. When HE thinks a performance is over the top awful/outrageous, you know you've gone too far.
    ITA. I must be getting old, because my first thoughts when reading the CNN article were 1) what the hell is "twerking?" and 2) is this Robin Thicke guy I keep hearing about related to the dad in Growing Pains? (and of course a quick google search revealed yes, yes he was)

I didn't really get what Miley was trying to accomplish besides trying to shed her Disney image once and for all. Honestly I wonder if she would have been better off going in a different direction as an artist- I recall seeing an interview once where she revealed she doesn't even like pop music and is more into rock. With her throaty voice that would seem like a better genre for her (something akin to Paramore maybe). Right now she comes across as a Ke$ha wannabe, IMO.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Allskate View Post
    To me, Miley is coming across as kind of pathetic.
    Kind of? I'd say completely.

vCash
    The obvious comparison is to Brittney’s coming of age performance in the gold lame body suit. But Brittney – at the time – had a smokin’ hot body and didn’t do the weird tongue antics. Miley’s body is okay but not good enough to make something like this work. She would have had to go a Bjork route and do more quirky and less slutty to have a hope of pulling something unusual off. Epic fail on her part.
    What would Jenny do?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by snoopy View Post
    The obvious comparison is to Brittney’s coming of age performance in the gold lame body suit.
    Do you mean this one?
    http://l.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/6H8...jpg_190550.jpg

Brittany looks downright covered compared to what Miley was wearing...
    Also, Brittany didn't behave like a lunatic on stage. That was really what got me more than the outfits. But I also don't know what the hell twerking is, so maybe that is what 'the kids these days' are all doing?

vCash
    I went to look and see what is known as tweaking and I was not impressed on single bit. Looks like "shaking your booty" taken to the next step --looking like a bitch in heat and trying to entice a male to help you out.
    Crazy about sports!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast