vCash

Scott Hamilton's '84 Olympic result

It been mentioned many times (including by Scott himself) that, going into the free skate at '84 Olys, Scott would've had to place 5th or lower to lose the gold medal. He ended up 2nd in a flawed free skate, but should he have been 5th (or lower)? Here's Scott's long program:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2CyJVuFjhY

Brian Orser deservedly won the free skate. But what about these: better than Scott, or not?

Josef Sabovcik (3rd in FS): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nR6k6gYN77s

No video of Rudi Cerne's 4th place FS.

Brian Boitano (5th in FS): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VE-23hGJh_w

Vladimir Kotin (6th in FS): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlWz-XPgHj4

Apparently Alexander Fadeev (7th in FS) had a great skate, with a quad toe attempt (around but two-footed). Perhaps some of you have a good recollection of the other top skaters in Sarajevo?
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

vCash
    While I admire Scottie as a skater & person, I really wanted Brian Orser to win gold that night, but this was back in the day of compulsory figures.

Banned Member
    vCash
    There was a bit of a shift in how the compulsories were judged at these Olympics. At the prior championships, Hamilton did not win the figures, thus his ordinal was not usually a "1.0" going into the SP. He said in an interview that because of those placements in figures, his goal was to beat Jean Simone, the French figures champion, and he worked his figures to death and moved to Fassi for political help, etc.

It worked. He won figures and started with "1.0", not 2.0. This gave him a huge advantage. His short program placement seems suspect, as the combination was much easier than the 3lutz2loop and his weakness in spins was showcased. They were slow, barely the required revolutions and he traveled, a supposed 0.2 deduction per spin.

His long program marks are also suspect. He demonstrated only 2 different triples, as well as a pop into a single and a pop into a double.

After nearly 30 years, it appears in retrospect his medal may have been the result of a combination of improving those figures at the expense of the FS and what the judges wanted.

vCash
    Yes, I agree. I suppose my main question is whether or not Scotty's free skate deserved to be in the top four (in that portion of the competition).

Nt questioning his ability. He was usually a brilliant free skater. The Olympics was an exception.
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

Banned Member
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skateboy View Post
    Yes, I agree. I suppose my main question is whether or not Scotty's free skate deserved to be in the top four (in that portion of the competition).

Nt questioning his ability. He was usually a brilliant free skater. The Olympics was an exception.
    I think just barely. One could argue for 4th, with Orser, Boitano and Fadeev ahead. But Sabovcic and Cerne were not as good as Scott and Norbert Schramm wasn't competing. The skaters strong at figures really were weaker free skaters.

vCash
    Yes, maybe 4th. I think Scott's technical marks were too high for what he did that day, but his presentation and carriage were so much better than the other skaters at the time.

vCash
    I would have had him 5th or 6th in the free skate. 5.4 for technical merit and about 5.7 for presentation.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    I would have had him 5th or 6th in the free skate. 5.4 for technical merit and about 5.7 for presentation.
    Interesting. Besides Orser, whom would you have had higher?

vCash
    My marks and placings would have been:

1. Orser 5.9 technical, 5.8 artistic
    2. Cerne 5.6 technical, 5.9 artistic
    3. Sabovcik 5.8 technical, 5.5 artistic
    4. Boitano 5.7 technical, 5.6 artistic
    5. Hamilton 5.4 technical, 5.7 artistic

I didnt see Fadeyev but I heard he skated pretty well and made a great attempt of a quad so maybe him in front too, but Hamilton is already down to silver overall at this point. Cerne would win the bronze overall under my placings too (in fact the only thing that had to change was his beating Sabovcik's LP which IMO he should have). The one judge who had Hamilton 1st over Orser in the LP should have been given a lifetime ban for either bias or incompetence.