Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast
    vCash
    I remember Yuna's interview when she decided to come back. She said after she came back to Korea and have been training w/ Korean skaters and coaches, she's thought she could do competitions more if she keeps training in Korea. Training out of Korea was so tough in mental-wise to Yuna and she felt lonely as her life was just full of only training and a dull monochrome life. She really wanted to be at home and be with her family and friends.

Now she can enjoy her training more with Korean skaters/coaches and spend her time with her family and friends after training/on weekend. So psychically, it's very helpful to Yuna I believe and training in Korea highly motivated her to come back to competitions. This also seems obvious when she interviewd with Kurt Browning in CBC at last Worlds.

So Yuna needed someone who help mentally rather than technically to compete (but I think she improved her tech too since she back to Korea ) and her current coaches have been doing great job.

vCash
    Exactly maybe she would be more successful with a more experienced coach; however at this point it's wise to think of what makes her happy including having an outside of skating life.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaia View Post
    I can't stop watching this program. She is so exquisite and beautiful. Also, is it me or her first 3Lutz HUMONGOUS, even by her standard? Maybe that's why she fell, coz it was so big.
    Yeah, I think Yuna tried too hard on the lutz, and it ended up being too big to control (even for her standards), so it looked like she couldn't find the ice with her landing foot and fell instead.

vCash
    I feel very uncomfortable with people belittling Kim Yu-Na's coaching team. Those are her original coaches who have taught her the excellent jump technique that she has.

I have seen Kim Yu-Na live at her first international competition (JGP Budapest). She had proper basics from the start and it's her original coaches that are responsible for that.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Orser never claimed to be responsible for her technique; IIRC he gave full credit to her coaches. They may have contributed to her tendency to be injury-prone through overtraining, but that could have been an issue with her mother and/or internalized perfectionism.

Four-seven years ago, she needed Orser to help her deal with competitive pressure and to stop her from overtraining and to take care of her body. He and David Wilson concentrated on performance aspects and pacing through a season. It was important for her at the time to be out of Korea and away from the Korean media.

Based on last year's results and with several years of show behind her, she's shown that that kind of oversight is not what she needs, and she's taken another approach.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

Curiously curious
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    I feel very uncomfortable with people belittling Kim Yu-Na's coaching team. Those are her original coaches who have taught her the excellent jump technique that she has.

I have seen Kim Yu-Na live at her first international competition (JGP Budapest). She had proper basics from the start and it's her original coaches that are responsible for that.
    Wow, Ziggy, you were one of those that were there at creation, as it were. Care to share any thoughts, even brief impressions, on what she was like then compared to now? Thanks.

And I agree with you on the quality of her coaches Ryu and Shin. I think that, in certain ways, she is actually better now than she was in Vancouver. Look at the jumps, for example. At London Worlds, which was on Ryu and Shin's watch, her jumps were a shocking, improbable combination of power, control, liquid ease, and could have been displayed in a Braun industrial museum to demonstrate the aesthetics of form following function. Those qualities were still very much evident at Golden Spin, despite Yuna not yet being in top form.

There are other skaters in the current ladies field capable of exhibiting a very great quality in their jumps (Caro would be an obvious candidate), but I would argue that no one quite matches Yuna's ability to create the impression that she was born for flight, with the flick of a wing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    I'm not a fan of her programs or costumes, both last season and this season. Everything just appears too bland and not Olympic worthy for my tastes. There is no fire in her this Olympic cycle. Her programs look the same and she doesn't bring enough emotion into her performances. There is no variety in her movement or choreography. She seems detached from the programs and from the audience.
    I'm not prepared to ring the doomsday bell on Yuna just yet. This is her first competition back since being injured - and even with two below par performances an international judging panel was still prepared to hand her (and did) HUGE scores in both programs. She's only going to get better within these next two months imo.

That being said - I'm not in love with her programs just yet but I may change my mind if she skates both lights out at Sochi (or before). I don't care for her SP dress, it reminds me of a canary but it's my understanding from reports that the dress is a work in progress. Frankly, whatever she wears doesn't really matter - it's what she lays down on the day especially jump-wise.
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    I think her programs are boring. They're pretty in a GFB sort of way. Keeping the same jump layout as last year does not help. I miss the freshness of Kim's Bond SP from 2010. I think Mao's programs are also on the snooze fest side. The women competition at Sochi could be a big bore.
    What does GFB stand for?
    Quote Originally Posted by Eladola View Post
    I kinda meant till the 2013 worlds, Seeing we talked about her reaction at that event, And whether she only went to a couple worlds since then is beside the point, She still hasn't won a major event since Olympics, She basically just missed one worlds since .

And yes, she does win a lot, But i thought we were talking about major events, That percentage would be a bit different all around .
    You seem to keep repeating in your posts that Yuna 'still hasn't won a major event since the Olympics'. This is flat-out wrong. You mention 2013 Worlds so you contradicted yourself in the same breath. For the record - Yuna Kim DID win a major event 'since the Olympics' - 2013 Worlds. And she rolled over the competition at that event like a tank. And she did it decisively in the year before the Olympics. 'Nuff said.

Quote Originally Posted by Eladola View Post
    She has the same amount of victories, And we were talking about those (though i wasn't going for a competition),
    And again, My point was she didn't have a winning moment (that mattered, in skating) since olympics, Doesn't matter how much she competed
    Are you for real? Since when does winning a World Championship, ESPECIALLY in the year before the Olympics not matter? You're making no sense whatsoever.
    Quote Originally Posted by bek View Post
    I'm not saying Kim wouldn't be better of with Orser. However, I want to point out that I thought Kim looked calmer at Worlds last year than she did before....

I don't think its fair to say these coaches know nothing. They were the ones who taught her to skate, its not nothing. She came to Brian with great skating skills and beautiful jumping technique that were instilled by her Korean coaches.

There's also the fact that there's no language barrier as well as there had to have been between her and Brian. I know Kim mentioned in article that she might go to a foreign coach for the Olympic year, so I think she definitely considered this. Then worlds went as well as it did. She may have felt why fix what is clearly not broken.

I think the trajectory for her is maybe like last years competition. Slowly building to the Olympics...

Maybe she'd be better of with Brian or a foreign coach, I don't know. But its not like she's being coached by a ballet dancer! She has real figure skating coaches who clearly know something about skating.
    The only thing I can fault Yuna's early coaches with is not teaching her a good layback spin - and to point her feet! Other than that, they did amazing. It also helped of course that they had such a gifted athlete to work with!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    Four-seven years ago, she needed Orser to help her deal with competitive pressure and to stop her from overtraining and to take care of her body. He and David Wilson concentrated on performance aspects and pacing through a season. It was important for her at the time to be out of Korea and away from the Korean media.
    I definitely agree that Orser had an important part in Kim's development. He seemed to have created a good environment for her and was responsible for putting in the finishing touches. My comments were in response to some posts, which presented her two coaches as somehow less capable. She wouldn't have had the good foundation she did from the start, if they didn't know what they were doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasha'sSpins View Post
    What does GFB stand for?
    Generic Female Ballad. All the twinkly piano, pieces that unfortunately we see way too often from Ladies. Conversely, too many Men opt for bombastic macho movie soundtracks.

Quote Originally Posted by Robeye View Post
    Wow, Ziggy, you were one of those that were there at creation, as it were. Care to share any thoughts, even brief impressions, on what she was like then compared to now? Thanks.
    It was a long time ago so I can't recall specific details about her skating (I must have a notebook somewhere with notes though ). I remember seeing this girl landing all these jumps in practice and me and my friend assumed it was Sawada Aki since that was the only higher level skater in that practice group. It's only when skaters were called for their program run-throughs, we realised it was Kim Yu-Na. I remember her being very consistent overall but struggling with the 3loop a little. She fell on it in the SP. I also remember that it was really mind-blowing that a previously unknown skater showed an overall skating level far above anybody else taking part in that competition.

Her FS from that competition is on YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOj_b293gW8
    Last edited by Ziggy; 12-10-2013 at 11:15 PM.

vCash
    I think for the 2010 Olympics it was helpful for Yuna to train in Canada for political reasons. It helped to have famous and well-connected coaches in the host country to get the best training facilities and publicity. Now she she is the one with the political clout. She can get anyone she needs to come to her.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasha'sSpins View Post
    What does GFB stand for?
    Generic female ballad.

Yuna will be fine.

She's a seasoned competitor and the reigning World and Olympic champion.

She had a rough (for her) first outing but it was miles ahead of her competitors, which included another 2-time world champion and a hotshot skater from last season!

ETA: Oops, Ziggy already answered.

vCash
    Conversely, too many Men opt for bombastic macho movie soundtracks.
    Is there an acronym for these programs?

I mean abbreviation.
    Last edited by jenny12; 12-11-2013 at 01:23 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by all_empty View Post
    She had a rough (for her) first outing but it was miles ahead of her competitors, which included another 2-time world champion and a hotshot skater from last season!

ETA: Oops, Ziggy already answered.
    I didn't think it was miles ahead of her competitors.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jenny12 View Post
    Is there an acronym for these programs?
    I don't think so. BMMS doesn't really have a good ring to it.

vCash
    I enjoyed Yuna's "Send in the Clowns" moreso than her FS music, but either way I have no doubt she will rightfully capture another Olympic Gold Medal. I honestly don't think there's anybody out there that can rival her, she has it all, truly. She's the only one that has a *realistic* chance of tieing Sonja's three Olympic gold medals, especially with 2018 being in her home country, that's icing on the cake and she will only be 27 years old.

GOOOOOOOOOOOO YUNA, CAN'T WAIT TO SEE YOUR HEARTBREAKING "SEND IN THE CLOWNS" AT THE OLYMPICS!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NadineWhite View Post
    I enjoyed Yuna's "Send in the Clowns" moreso than her FS music, but either way I have no doubt she will rightfully capture another Olympic Gold Medal. I honestly don't think there's anybody out there that can rival her, she has it all, truly. She's the only one that has a *realistic* chance of tieing Sonja's three Olympic gold medals, especially with 2018 being in her home country, that's icing on the cake and she will only be 27 years old.

GOOOOOOOOOOOO YUNA, CAN'T WAIT TO SEE YOUR HEARTBREAKING "SEND IN THE CLOWNS" AT THE OLYMPICS!
    Except for a pointed toe

vCash
    I don't think so. BMMS doesn't really have a good ring to it.
    I like it!

I really like the musical arrangement of Yuna's "Send in the Clowns" program. I was not particularly excited about the music choice at first, but she sold me after I saw the program!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyWarhol View Post
    Except for a pointed toe
    I think that this is a perfectly valid criticism. But if we start to pick at her competitors' weaknesses, the lists are going to be much longer.

vCash

Yes, they did a wonderful job of preparing a young lady to skate. However, I think it is an entirely different set of skills that is required to prepare a skater for an OGM.

Now, does that impact what Yu-Na has decided to do, or has done? Obviously, the proof will be in the competition. She put her entire being into that first medal. She is taking a different path this time. May result in another medal, may not, but she is a brilliant skater, and I am just happy she is competing.
    DH - and that's just my opinion

vCash
    I feel Orser deserved considerable credit for preparing Kim so well for the Vancouver Olympics. Her Korean coaches deserve credit for giving her the basics but Orser helped her reach the top by improving her condition and confidence. One can say she was fortunate to find the right coaches at the correct time points in her career.

vCash
    I agree. I don't know why more coaches haven't looked at and studied what Kim's original and current coaches have done when developing her technique and skating skills. I know a lot of is natural talent, but I also think most of it has to be great teaching with Kim's talent, personality, and drive completing the package to create the dominant skater she is today.

Excellent basics and unquestionable rotations and excellent air in jumps is just a winning combination, especially now when such things are quantified into actual points.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast