Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    You didn't know that Yuna has dedicated fans?
    But still... I would have expected more Croatians/Europeans than Koreans...

vCash
    I remember at LA Worlds in the SP, arena was half full and then WHOOSH. Packed to the roof not an empty seat in sight when Yuna's group started warming up, Korea is where the Yuna is.

I think her SP is lovely, the dress isn't my favorite color but she still looks beautiful. Her expression has just come light years. However, I do feel that Mao Asada has a stronger short program.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by siouxdonym View Post
    You didn't know?

Part of the reasoning for the rule change is to reduce repetitive music selections. However I suspect we'll see just as many Carmens, Les Miserables, and Phantom....only now with vocals.
    I've heard a rumor but didn't know it was decided.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Curiously curious
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Karpenko View Post
    I remember at LA Worlds in the SP, arena was half full and then WHOOSH. Packed to the roof not an empty seat in sight when Yuna's group started warming up, Korea is where the Yuna is.

I think her SP is lovely, the dress isn't my favorite color but she still looks beautiful. Her expression has just come light years. However, I do feel that Mao Asada has a stronger short program.
    Here's the way I look at it: this is Yuna's first toe in the competitive water this season. My own view is that this program is going to get a lot better by Sochi.

But what has she accomplished, here? She's shown that her SP is going to put her somewhere around the lead after the short segment, easy. My suspicion is that if she skates on all cylinders and clean, this will measurably lead the field at the end of the skating day, maybe by a few points.

Even if she made absolutely no additional progress (a highly unlikely scenario; given where she is in the evolution of the program, the GPF ladies are probably closer to their plateaus than Yuna is to hers) and skated this exact same, somewhat imperfectly executed performance, it would still put her at or around the lead, given the way that the season scores of the ladies field have played out.

This should worry the field greatly, because all Yuna needs, from a strictly competitive point of view, is to be in the hunt at the end of the first day. Her real scoring leverage and advantage comes in the Free Skate. Strategically, if I'm a skater other than Yuna that wants a real shot at gold, I would really try to get a hold of a lead in the SP as my best shot. If I haven't shaken Yuna off at that point, then I know that my chances are likely going to get worse, much worse, in the Long.

vCash
    I wish she would take some time to set the mood at the beginning. It appeared like she was totally uninterested and couldn't wait to set off for the jumps.

Having said that, the triples were wonderful and the skating was beautiful.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Robeye View Post
    Here's the way I look at it: this is Yuna's first toe in the competitive water this season. My own view is that this program is going to get a lot better by Sochi.

But what has she accomplished, here? She's shown that her SP is going to put her somewhere around the lead after the short segment, easy. My suspicion is that if she skates on all cylinders and clean, this will measurably lead the field at the end of the skating day, maybe by a few points.

Even if she made absolutely no additional progress (a highly unlikely scenario; given where she is in the evolution of the program, the GPF ladies are probably closer to their plateaus than Yuna is to hers) and skated this exact same, somewhat imperfectly executed performance, it would still put her at or around the lead, given the way that the season scores of the ladies field have played out.

This should worry the field greatly, because all Yuna needs, from a strictly competitive point of view, is to be in the hunt at the end of the first day. Her real scoring leverage and advantage comes in the Free Skate. Strategically, if I'm a skater other than Yuna that wants a real shot at gold, I would really try to get a hold of a lead in the SP as my best shot. If I haven't shaken Yuna off at that point, then I know that my chances are likely going to get worse, much worse, in the Long.
    I agree with all that you said. I still feel Mao's short is stronger because it's music perfectly tailored to her style, plus the 3axel (without the downgrade at GPF her score would've been 76-77!), but I think Yuna has a better long (even just based on the practice). She's still head and shoulders. There's just a new Mao to deal with now. And I love them both.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smarts1 View Post
    OMG those Korean commentators are annoying in Miki's SP video. And they bashed her jumps!!!
    Well, Did you translated their commentary by yourself? What they said was "Miki's jumps looked clean." Then talking about character of Yuna's jumps - Flow, height, length, speed, etc. And then just one statement "Miki's jumps are not as great as Yuna's." They continuously praised mama Miki's return and careers. If you don't agree with my dictation, reply me.

And I'm wondering where all those Korean people came from in the stands... There are no Korean people in Croatia!
    Most of them from Korea.
    Some of them from nearby European countries.
    And about 40 to 50 Korean people lives in Croatia, +20,000 visited Croatia in 2011 and there is the Korean embassy since 2005.
    This too will pass away.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by siouxdonym View Post
    Well wait until next season.
    Thanks for reminding me…

My biggest fear is that not only will we get obnoxious music choices that may not stand the test of time (I could only imagine what "deep" Coldplay programs we could have gotten if they changed the rule in the early 2000s) but we'll have single skaters doing vocal version of standards that simply overpower their skating (like Chock/Bates Les Miz FD this year).
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    But still... I would have expected more Croatians/Europeans than Koreans...
    Koreans can travel, you know, and certainly do so for Yuna.

vCash

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TripleWallie View Post
    Thank you! I'd love to hear from people who were there. She looked slower and more methodical than usual, which wouldn't be surprising under the circumstances, but it might have looked different live. I don't think the dress is that flattering. The open back on the dress makes her own back look more curved. She's still got quite a bit of time before Sochi, and I think the program will look even better by then and she'll be in better condition.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I wish she would take some time to set the mood at the beginning. It appeared like she was totally uninterested and couldn't wait to set off for the jumps.

Having said that, the triples were wonderful and the skating was beautiful.
    Are you talking about the LP? I thought she looked really nervous before she took her starting position. And the look on her face after the 3f, in the crossovers, make me think she was just not on her game today.
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

vCash
    Yep, she looked really nervous. She took longer than normal to take her pose in the beginning and she seemed cautious throughout. Not skating with the same fire and speed we're used to. That being said, I'm disappointed with those music cuts for the LP. It doesn't build enough, and the scales are excessive.

vCash
    Thank you for the vids. Yuna's jumps are still gorgeous despite the falls. She's back from nursing an injury so some kind of cautious approach is expected. I would rather that she be cautious here than risk re-injuring. The fire should be reserved for Sochi.
    Last edited by spikydurian; 12-08-2013 at 03:41 AM.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    I think her programs are boring. They're pretty in a GFB sort of way. Keeping the same jump layout as last year does not help. I miss the freshness of Kim's Bond SP from 2010. I think Mao's programs are also on the snooze fest side. The women competition at Sochi could be a big bore.

vCash
    I love her LP, though. Wasn't delivered well today, but there's a lot of choreography and potential for sass in that program.

Do hope Kostner brings back Bolero, though.
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

vCash
    I miss the freshness of Kim's Bond SP from 2010
    The Bond program was AMAZING! It was fresh, original, and fun l with a dash of sauciness and attitude. No one I can recall has done anything similar to it. I feel like her packaging (program choreography+music+outfits) for this time's Olympics is sloppy compared to what she had 4 years ago.

vCash
    Love the dress.

This performance makes me believe she was really injured.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by eternitygoddess View Post
    The Bond program was AMAZING! It was fresh, original, and fun l with a dash of sauciness and attitude. No one I can recall has done anything similar to it. I feel like her packaging (program choreography+music+outfits) for this time's Olympics is sloppy compared to what she had 4 years ago.
    I actually think Yuna's LP this year is an extension, or a more elaborate version of her Bond program.

vCash
    YuNa looks like she is doing everything she can to get through that program. She looks like she doesn't have the stamina. She also looks like she is mustering everything in her to compete and that underneath she is miserable. I thing she is competing out of loyalty to her country and it is taking everything she has to do it. I admire her loyalty, but it looks to me like she is paying a high price.

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast