Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    In a cubbyhole next to Lauren Sheehan's bedazzler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by giselle23 View Post
    I agree--the music is hardly ground-breaking. I'm sure that she will do well with both pieces, but they are not particularly original choices. I also think that, in the scoring system as it is currently constructed, it is difficult to do a really memorable short program no matter what the music is. The spiral sequence should be brought back, but without the ridiculous requirements that caused every skater to do the same foot-grabbing sequence.
    I'm going to echo the agreement with Zemgirl that these music choices are hardly groundbreaking or innovative. And that there's even a debate to the contrary is just... But still good choices for Yuna; I'm looking forward to seeing what she does with these pieces.

vCash
    No one said these choices are groundbreaking in the first place if I remember correctly. :zzz:

Exaggerating much?

They, the short program in particular, are just somewhat different from what I've seen though in the endless lists of the most known Russian composers (Tchaik, Rach), Romeo and Juliet, Samson and Delilah and so on

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by munow View Post
    No one said these choices are groundbreaking in the first place if I remember correctly. :zzz:

Exaggerating much?

They, the short program in particular, are just somewhat different from what I've seen though in the endless lists of the most known Russian composers (Tchaik, Rach), Romeo and Juliet, Samson and Delilah and so on

IIRC, one poster used 'unconventional', several agreed and now words like groundbreaking and innovative are thrown all over.

vCash
    t.mann originally referred to Yuna Kim's music choices as (along with Dai) "the most fresh and non-conservative" (see below):

Quote Originally Posted by t.mann View Post
    Anyway, among singles Yuna‘s music choices with Dai‘s are the most fresh and not-conservative.
    Several posters, myself included, took that to mean that t.mann felt that these were original and unique choices, and used these and similar terms in explaining why we disagreed. So yes, the responses were in line with the original comment, and I'm not sure why some posters find this confusing.

As you can see from the following quote, t.mann eventually explained that the original post was in reference to Dai and Yuna choosing not to repeat programs or choose Russian composers - though FWIW, I think V/M, to use a notable example, managed to choose pieces by Russian composers and still be original about it - and not to these being particularly unusual choices (thanks for clarifying, BTW).

I did not mean Yuna & Dai's music choices are special & original & groundbreaking. (Actually, I don't find Yuna's SP music choice interesting.)
    I 'simply' was giving them bonus points for not-reusing previous musics and not-choosing Russian composers etc. at Olympic & their last season.
    Maybe I should have written my post with more detail.
    Quote Originally Posted by munow View Post
    I am not sure who and what is included in the "endless lists" of Russian composers and R&J, to be honest, not to mention that skating to a less frequently used piece by a well-known composer (e.g. Chan with Elegie) is hardly comparable to picking a warhorse.

vCash
    who said what or what said who... there can't be any grey area where common grounds are made. always the destination of Yuna threads

vCash
    double post

vCash
    My only criticism of Yu-Na last season was the lack of emotional impact.....the short program seemed almost purposely cold and glacial (which I found vaguely appealing) but the long really lacked the emotional abandon I would normally associate with Les Miserables.

Send in the Clowns is a deeply moving piece, as is Adios Nonino ("farewell granddad")...so I hope we see some more generous expression from her this season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    though FWIW, I think V/M, to use a notable example, managed to choose pieces by Russian composers and still be original about it
    Thinking V/M, I inserted 'among singles' in my sentence. (As for reusing, I really welcome for Abbott's Muse program.)

-------------------------------------------------
    It felt fresh for me that BIG names such as Dai, Yuna will make the grand finale of their career doing a British pop & an Argentine tango at Olympics in Russia with rich classical musics (that they could a little depend on the greatness oozing out of).
    That said, I wish that I had used 'less-safe' instead of somewhat strong words like fresh & not-conservative.
    Last edited by t.mann; 08-27-2013 at 06:46 AM.

vCash
    Thinking V/M, I inserted 'among singles' in my sentence. (As for reusing, I really welcome for Abbott's Muse program.)
    I know - I just feel that they're a good example of how choosing music by a Russian composer doesn't have to be a "safe" option. BTW, I didn't get the impression that Russians composers are as common a choice this season as some have suggested; not unusual, either, but not to the point were every other skater is doing Tchaikovsky or Rachmaninoff. Tangos have been a popular choice for years and I can definitely see why they'd appeal to Yuna and to other skaters.

(I think less-safe would have had the same effect )
    Last edited by Zemgirl; 08-27-2013 at 06:38 AM.

vCash
    It felt fresh for me that BIG names such as Dai, Yuna will make the grand finale of their career doing a British pop & an Argentine tango at Olympics in Russia with rich classical musics.
    I hate to be the nitpicky one, but “Send in the Clowns” is written by the American Broadway composer, Stephen Sondheim.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zebobes View Post
    I hate to be the nitpicky one, but “Send in the Clowns” is written by the American Broadway composer, Stephen Sondheim.
    I was referring to Dai's Beatles LP. (the grand finale = their LPs at Olympics)

This consecutive misunderstandings on my posts.
    Where are you, a FSU angel falling_dance who has ever read my mind from my vague post?!
    Last edited by t.mann; 08-27-2013 at 03:47 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by siouxdonym View Post
    My only criticism of Yu-Na last season was the lack of emotional impact.....the short program seemed almost purposely cold and glacial (which I found vaguely appealing) but the long really lacked the emotional abandon I would normally associate with Les Miserables.

Send in the Clowns is a deeply moving piece, as is Adios Nonino ("farewell granddad")...so I hope we see some more generous expression from her this season.
    Actually last year I feel she lacked the strong body language (arms, etc) to convey a cold tone but despite being rather bland facial expressions I felt she was successful with using her arms and body to depict the tragedy that was Les Miserables.

For both her short and long this coming season, how she uses her arms will be key. (I am hoping for Lark Ascending arms for the short and Tango de Roxanne arms for the long)

vCash
    Have you guys seen this new montage of Yuna Kim?
    A fan of Yuna made this fabulous one and uploaded in youtube.
    I was captivated by this Adios Nonino montage and I just want to share this with you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=in1rcs9dk1I

vCash
    I think both pieces of music lend themselves to a “classic” skating program if the choreography and performance work. As far as innovation, I am having difficulty in imagining how Send in the Clowns could result in an innovative performance. Maybe if she went all art house with it. However, the tango piece - if used with a lot of monster foot work - could be ground breaking since single female skaters aren’t known for their footwork.
    What would Jenny do?

vCash
    Savchenko/Szolkowy's SP to 'Send in the Clowns' a few years back was certainly innovative...but I hope that Yuna will not paint her face like a clown, as Alyona & Robin did.
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Frau Muller View Post
    Savchenko/Szolkowy's SP to 'Send in the Clowns' a few years back was certainly innovative...but I hope that Yuna will not paint her face like a clown, as Alyona & Robin did.
    I think Yuna has more sense then that.

vCash
    I am in absolute agreement about Adios Nonino for her LP and await it with much eagerness and excitement. I'm not so happy with Send in the Clowns for her SP. I just loved her 2009 Danse Macabre short so much and was hoping she would go that route again: haunting but fun and upbeat. How sad to think these will be the last programs we will see from her.

vCash
    It's kind of like her programs from her final year as a junior (where she made her first big splash worldwide) but in reverse. She did Tango de Roxanne for her SP and Papa, Can You Here Me? for her LP. Now's she's skating to a ballad from a musical for her SP and a tango for her LP.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    I enjoyed the face-painting of S/S. I hope Yuna rocks out some god-awful make-up for her SP

vCash
    Reuters article titled "Olympics-Ice queen Yuna hones routines ahead of Sochi swan song": http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...0IK18P20131030
    With Wednesday marking the 100-day countdown to the start of the Sochi Games, the 23-year-old told reporters she was back skating and even doing jumps after taking time off to recover from a foot injury.

Kim, who blew away the competition in Vancouver to become the first South Korean to win an Olympic figure skating gold medal, said she was about "70 percent ready" and that she could return to competition in December.

"I don't think the pain will be completely gone since I can't stop training but it's got a lot better," she said at the national training centre.

"I can still do triple jumps but for competition I not only need to get my jumps ready I have to have be physically strong."

"The Sochi Games is not only my second Olympics but the 'retirement stage' for me, so I want to have a greater experience than any other competition before," she said.

"In the past, I had strong concepts for short programs and lyrical ones for the long. But this time it's the other way around.

"I have a fast tempo for the long program this time, which requires more physical strength. I will have to modify it some before Sochi but my goal is to make it perfect before the Olympics."
    ETA:
    This was the Reuters article, dated September 26, in which Kim's foot injury was revealed and caused her to withdraw from her 2 Grand Prix events: http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...98P0DD20130926
    [Kim]... had injured a metatarsal on her right foot, Yonhap News quoted a KSU official as saying on Thursday.

"During training Kim Yuna felt a lot of pain in her right foot," the official said, adding that an examination showed a problem with the metatarsal.

"The diagnosis she received is that she would need around six weeks to recover and will also require physio after she returns."
    Last edited by Sylvia; 10-30-2013 at 03:35 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast