Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

vCash
    At least there is no vocal music this year because I couldn't handle having to listen to Judy Collins drone on while attempting to watch Yuna skate.
    Logic is in the eye of the logician --Gloria Steinem

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by os168 View Post
    I still think you are nitpicking and making a mountain out of mole hill and frankly I question your motivation.
    My motivation is that I disagreed with the assertion that Yuna Kim's music choices this season are original/fresh/unconventional/"non-conservative"/whatever compared to those of other skaters. I'm not sure why you find it so difficult to accept that someone might not share your views on this matter and would wish to share their point of view on a discussion forum.

The rest of your post I won't even address, as you're obviously very much invested in trying to persuade me (and others) that Yuna Kim is superior in all ways to all skaters, and I'm not interested. Suffice to say that I think Yuna is a very talented skater, but not a perfect one as some of her fans seem to believe. FWIW, I don't think the over the top gushing is going to convince anyone, but it may be a turnoff for many.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VarBar View Post
    I feel some people overrate the role of the skaters in the choice of the music for their new programs. I really have trouble to believe that Send In The Clowns was Yuna's choice for that matter. Wilson worked with Savchenko/Szolkowy/Steuer this summer and maybe this made him watch or rewatch some of S/S's programs and was inspired by their Send in The Clowns. Also, Adios Nonino is not a new piece for Wilson. As far as Takahashi's The Beatles, again I have my doubts it would have been Takahashi's suggestion to Nichol. Lori is one of the choreographers who leave the choice of music to her students much less than other choreographers. She said something to that effect in a conversation with PJ Kwong that can be found on youtube. The Beatles isn't completely new for Nichol either, she choreographed an ex program for Patrick Chan to Yesterday when Chan was 17 or something. Oh, and does anyone really think Kostner was dying to skate to Sheherazade? lol
    For the record, Yuna stated that S/S's Send In The Clowns was one of her favorite programs several times. This piece was also one of tracks listed in a classical compilation album Queen on Ice, whose tracks were handpicked by Yuna, back in 2011.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    My motivation is that I disagreed with the assertion that Yuna Kim's music choices this season are original/fresh/unconventional/"non-conservative"/whatever compared to those of other skaters. I'm not sure why you find it so difficult to accept that someone might not share your views on this matter and would wish to share their point of view on a discussion forum.

The rest of your post I won't even address, as you're obviously very much invested in trying to persuade me (and others) that Yuna Kim is superior in all ways to all skaters, and I'm not interested. Suffice to say that I think Yuna is a very talented skater, but not a perfect one as some of her fans seem to believe. FWIW, I don't think the over the top gushing is going to convince anyone, but it may be a turnoff for many.
    Uh... yes indeed this IS a discussion forum. So why must you insist yours is discussing, but mine must be assertion? It works both ways mate. I have no problem with people share their views, I disagree with them just fine, but apparently you clearly have problem with me sharing mine. Anyways hope there are no hard feelings. It is just skating talk.
    Last edited by os168; 08-26-2013 at 04:59 PM.

vCash
    I love Yuna's choices for this last season.

Send in the Clown suits her lyrical style very well. Maybe it will be something like Meditation or Once Upon a Dream? As long as she doesn't wear a clown costume, I'm so happy with this music! When she(and David) gave a hint for her SP music as 'happiness and sadness', the first thing came to my mind was Charlie Chaplin, so I wasn't totally wrong! ;D (well, maybe about 10% right...? ;p)

As for Adios Nonino, I'm glad she's doing another Tango with more complicated and mature music. I feel that it is not an easy music to interpret, and can't wait to see her version of it.

About her music choices fresh/unconventional debate, my two cents: It's not totally original as in 'Oh my gosh is it even stakable?!'(but really, how many such selections do we have to begin with?), but it is definitely unconventional in my opinion. During last spring and summer when people were all guessing about possible music selections, about how many war horses and Russian composers will be chosen, among Carmen, S & D, R & J, Scheherazade, Phantom, Tchaikovsky, Rachmaninoff, and so forth, I don't think any body ever mentioned Adios Nonino, let alone Send in the Clown. So yes, it's on the unconventional side enough for me.
    Last edited by invierno; 08-26-2013 at 05:17 PM.

vCash
    Wasn't part of Murakami's LP this past season to Adios? Or am I getting confused?

vCash
    What's so special and different about her music choices? Both have been done before multiple times - and Adios Nonino has also been used in an LP (e.g. Laura Lepisto). If anything, I think her choices for the previous Olympic season were more original. Dai's SP is an original choice, but a Beatles program is not groundbreaking, either (though hopefully he will bring something fresh to it, as he was able to do with Blues for Klook).
    I did not mean Yuna & Dai's music choices are special & original & groundbreaking. (Actually, I don't find Yuna's SP music choice interesting.)
    I 'simply' was giving them bonus points for not-reusing previous musics and not-choosing Russian composers etc. at Olympic & their last season.
    Maybe I should have written my post with more detail.
    Last edited by t.mann; 08-26-2013 at 05:33 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Loves_Shizuka View Post
    Wasn't part of Murakami's LP this past season to Adios? Or am I getting confused?
    That is correct as her LP was a Piazolla tango medley.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by torren View Post
    I can't understand skaters like those
    In other words, It means they already have disadvantages
    It's an olympic season. they don't know?

vCash
    I think it's interesting that both Yu-Na and Mao are skating to lyrical pieces for their SP. Both are in strong contrast with what they skated to for their SPs back in 2009-2010. Yu-Na went with Bond and Mao with a revamped Masquerade. Both were bigger pieces that left a bigger, grander impression on the ice.

I like that they're both doing for beauty and subtlety in their last season. I think Nocturne is the epitome of Mao's skating and I think Clowns will be a beautiful showcase for Yu-Na's lyrical side...

vCash
    Great choices for Yuna.
    ('Tango Yuna' is Back!!! Yay~ )
    Good luck to Yuna and her final season.

vCash
    delete
    Last edited by torren; 08-26-2013 at 05:53 PM.

vCash
    The most important is to have a music you feel comfortable with. That's why Classical music is the most used because it calms you down, or enjoyable music because it gives you energy. But if Yu Na Kim loves Adios Nonino, it can be a perfect choice for an Olympic year.

vCash
    What's so special and different about her music choices? Both have been done before multiple times - and Adios Nonino has also been used in an LP (e.g. Laura Lepisto). If anything, I think her choices for the previous Olympic season were more original. Dai's SP is an original choice, but a Beatles program is not groundbreaking, either (though hopefully he will bring something fresh to it, as he was able to do with Blues for Klook).

I know Yuna fans think everything she does is brilliant, and I believe that the SP music - and possibly the LP as well - may work very well for her. But to go so far as calling them the freshest, most non-conservative choices is rather hyperbolic. Unless you mean music choices over their whole careers? But I don't think that works, either.
    I agree--the music is hardly ground-breaking. I'm sure that she will do well with both pieces, but they are not particularly original choices. I also think that, in the scoring system as it is currently constructed, it is difficult to do a really memorable short program no matter what the music is. The spiral sequence should be brought back, but without the ridiculous requirements that caused every skater to do the same foot-grabbing sequence.

vCash
    Not a fan of 'Send in the Clowns', but love Adios Nonino for her.
    I remember Tonya Harding skated to SITC as one part of her 1991 Medley. I loved every bit of that performance EXCEPT the Send in the Clowns part.

Quote Originally Posted by Loves_Shizuka View Post
    Lu Chen used it in 98 for her SP too
    I loved Lu Chen's SP to Adios Nonino. She really captured the attitude of it.

vCash
    Yea Chen worked that music. My favourite so far.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FunnyBut View Post
    I loved Lu Chen's SP to Adios Nonino. She really captured the attitude of it.
    I'd forgotten about that! It was a lovely program.

Watching it I realize how familiar the music has become to me in the last two years. Liza T used it and then Kanako rocked it last year too (the final part of her FS). I don't think it's particularly difficult music to skate to but it is obviously a little out of her comfort zone...or at least they've made the program complex enough to be a challenge. I'm interested to see what Yu-Na and David do with it.

vCash
    I had forgotten Tuk had used it too.

vCash
    I am very excited about "Send in the Clowns". I think it will be a wonderful program - and the song always makes me cry - well, when Glynnis Johns sings it, anyway.

The Adios - well, for me, it could go Adios. I listened to it (thanks for the link), and didn't realize I was very familiar with it. I think I just don't like Tango Skates. I think to do a tango and pull it off, you have to be a Kostner or Witt. You really need the 'tude, and have to skate 110% with that tude. Wagner could maybe do it.

I love Yu-Na, just doesn't seem like a good match.
    DH - and that's just my opinion

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by briancoogaert View Post
    The most important is to have a music you feel comfortable with. That's why Classical music is the most used because it calms you down, or enjoyable music because it gives you energy. But if Yu Na Kim loves Adios Nonino, it can be a perfect choice for an Olympic year.
    You spoke for me!

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast