Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

vCash
    I'm glad that she will be skating to music that she loves.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by t.mann View Post
    Anyway, among singles Yuna‘s music choices with Dai‘s are the most fresh and not-conservative.
    I can't understand skaters like those
    In other words, It means they already have disadvantages
    It's an olympic season. they don't know?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by torren View Post
    Sometimes safe isn't always better. 90% of the skaters who are aiming to go to the Olympics are going to be playing it safe this year. I'm more impressed by the 10% who try something new/unconventional. In the end I think it's better b/c it will help them to stand out more among the zillion warhorses we've seen 60 billion times already.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by t.mann View Post
    Anyway, among singles Yuna‘s music choices with Dai‘s are the most fresh and not-conservative.
    What's so special and different about her music choices? Both have been done before multiple times - and Adios Nonino has also been used in an LP (e.g. Laura Lepisto). If anything, I think her choices for the previous Olympic season were more original. Dai's SP is an original choice, but a Beatles program is not groundbreaking, either (though hopefully he will bring something fresh to it, as he was able to do with Blues for Klook).

I know Yuna fans think everything she does is brilliant, and I believe that the SP music - and possibly the LP as well - may work very well for her. But to go so far as calling them the freshest, most non-conservative choices is rather hyperbolic. Unless you mean music choices over their whole careers? But I don't think that works, either.

vCash
    Adios Nonino is FIERCE music for a kick-arse LP. Love it! Perfect choices for Yuna. I'm really looking forward to this.

vCash
    Real leaders of the sport should take more initiatives and risks, not tried and tested formulas. It should be as much as to go out to get 'it' as oppose to not 'letting it go'.

I am not surprised my favourite skaters all ends up making the music choices I like the best, Yuna, Dai and Jeremy. Sad to see Hanyu missing his sparkle this year, repeat both his programs (even if is to a different music, it is still Romeo).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    What's so special and different about her music choices? Both have been done before multiple times - and Adios Nonino has also been used in an LP (e.g. Laura Lepisto). If anything, I think her choices for the previous Olympic season were more original. Dai's SP is an original choice, but a Beatles program is not groundbreaking, either (though hopefully he will bring something fresh to it, as he was able to do with Blues for Klook).

I know Yuna fans think everything she does is brilliant, and I believe that the SP music - and possibly the LP as well - may work very well for her. But to go so far as calling them the freshest, most non-conservative choices is rather hyperbolic. Unless you mean music choices over their whole careers? But I don't think that works, either.
    I agree. I think those two pieces will work very well for Yuna, but they are hardly groundbreaking.

vCash
    I'm intrigued by her LP - Adios isn't necessarily good LP music to me, though I did like Lepisto's programme, even if that musical arrangement wasn't particularly to my taste. It's potentially quite a samey piece of music; however I remember seeing a live modern interpretative dance set to it, and it was WONDERFUL - vibrant, energetic and passsionate. I hope Yu-Na can bring even a little of that.

vCash
    I am also a little puzzled by this. Both pieces have been used by skaters at previous Olympics. Adios Nonino has become a pretty standard Tango piece in skating. Lulu's version remains the best for me personally.

vCash
    Didn't Gao skate to Adios Nonino last year...or am I mixing it up with Libertango? If so, maybe it's not too late for Yuna to incorporate a little Libertango into the mix. Libertango is totally fierce.

p.s. - Adios Nonino was fantastic music for LuChen in 98 (SP) and Tuktamysheva in 11/12. It's fierce enough and should serve Yuna well.
    Last edited by Frau Muller; 08-26-2013 at 03:06 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jiggs View Post
    I agree. I think those two pieces will work very well for Yuna, but they are hardly groundbreaking.
    Uh... this is the COP, name 3 ground breaking programs this year, last year, or even just under the COP system. It is likely to have been repeated somewhere. It is about how you do it, not what you do anyway.

This Tango as a LP is very unconventional and challenging.

It is also about relativity... it is certainly more interesting than compare to something like another Warhorse piece for Sochi, e.g Scheherazade ;P

vCash

It's nice when someone writes exactly what I wanted to say and I just have to quote

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by os168 View Post
    Uh... this is the COP, name 3 ground breaking programs this year, last year, or even just under the COP system. [B]It is likely to have been repeated somewhere. It is about how you do it, not what you do anyway.
    Then perhaps we should wait to see the actual programs before deeming it interesting and groundbreaking?

It is also about relativity... it is certainly more interesting than compare to something like another Warhorse piece for Sochi, e.g Scheherazade ;P
    I feel like I have seen enough skaters performing to Adios Nonino for it to reach Warhorse level for me. Personally, I also find Scheherazade to be a boring choice but that doesn't mean skaters can't make it interesting. Perhaps, making a warhorse piece interesting and skating to an risky, original piece are equally challenging.

vCash
    Libertango is definitely NOT a warhorse like Carmen and such. It's in the 'it-pops-up-occasionally' category. I can only imagine what a drop-dead-gorgeous dress Yuna may wear for this with her ultra-long limbs.

vCash
    Last edited by karlon; 08-26-2013 at 03:38 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by miki88 View Post
    Then perhaps we should wait to see the actual programs before deeming it interesting and groundbreaking?
    Except no one claim the music choice is ground breaking before the accusation got thrown around.
    Unless in your dictionary 'non-conservative' = 'ground breaking'. Talk about over exaggeration to nit pick.

I feel like I have seen enough skaters performing to Adios Nonino for it to reach Warhorse level for me. Personally, I also find Scheherazade to be a boring choice but that doesn't mean skaters can't make it interesting. Perhaps, making a warhorse piece interesting and skating to an risky, original piece are equally challenging.
    There have certainly been many skate to tango music, 1-2 seasons ago was practically the year of the tangos including by Kostner. Adios has been performed by Liza and Kanaco's as well, but none of them manage to make even a slight dint on El Tango de Roxanne Yuna's senior debut program, with a world record and set the tone for her particular brand of sensational program. It is kind of fitting she bid farewell to the sport with another tango to book end a great career (written as a farewell piece), and remind people how it can be done (at least I hope. Nothing is guaranteed in skating.)
    Last edited by os168; 08-26-2013 at 03:35 PM.

vCash
    Uh... this is the COP, name 3 ground breaking programs this year, last year, or even just under the COP system. It is likely to have been repeated somewhere. It is about how you do it, not what you do anyway.
    The discussion is about original music choices, not programs. For instance, many fans felt that V/M were able to perform a very unique and fresh take on Carmen, and that's as warhorsey as you can get in skating.

I will take on your challenge, however, and list more original music choices. Savchenko/Szolkowy's SP music was composed especially for them, so obviously that hasn't been done before. Eric Radford composed the music he and Meaghan Duhamel are using for their - SP, I think? - so that's not been done before, either. Carolina Kostner is skating her SP to Dvořák's Humoresque, I don't recall that one used by any high profile skaters, at least not recently. Two seasons ago she used that Shostakovitch piece for her SP, I didn't actually think anyone could skate to it until I saw her do it. Last season, Kavaguti and Smirnov skated to February by Leonid Levashkevich, which I don't believe anyone else has used. Patrick Chan's Elegie SP was and is a fairly original choice.

This Tango as a LP is very unconventional and challenging
    It may certainly be challenging, but it is not unconventional. There's nothing wrong with a skater challenging themselves to interpret a better known piece (see my example of Dai and Blues for Klook earlier); I only object to the characterization of the music in such cases as fresh and unconventional.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Frau Muller View Post
    Libertango is definitely NOT a warhorse like Carmen and such. It's in the 'it-pops-up-occasionally' category. I can only imagine what a drop-dead-gorgeous dress Yuna may wear for this with her ultra-long limbs.
    By popping up occasionally, do you mean every time the OD/SD rhythm has a tango?
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    I am not surprised my favourite skaters all ends up making the music choices I like the best, Yuna, Dai and Jeremy.
    I feel some people overrate the role of the skaters in the choice of the music for their new programs. I really have trouble to believe that Send In The Clowns was Yuna's choice for that matter. Wilson worked with Savchenko/Szolkowy/Steuer this summer and maybe this made him watch or rewatch some of S/S's programs and was inspired by their Send in The Clowns. Also, Adios Nonino is not a new piece for Wilson. As far as Takahashi's The Beatles, again I have my doubts it would have been Takahashi's suggestion to Nichol. Lori is one of the choreographers who leave the choice of music to her students much less than other choreographers. She said something to that effect in a conversation with PJ Kwong that can be found on youtube. The Beatles isn't completely new for Nichol either, she choreographed an ex program for Patrick Chan to Yesterday when Chan was 17 or something. Oh, and does anyone really think Kostner was dying to skate to Sheherazade? lol

vCash
    The discussion is about original music choices, not programs. For instance, many fans felt that V/M were able to perform a very unique and fresh take on Carmen, and that's as warhorsey as you can get in skating.

I will take on your challenge, however, and list more original music choices. Savchenko/Szolkowy's SP music was composed especially for them, so obviously that hasn't been done before. Eric Radford composed the music he and Meaghan Duhamel are using for their - SP, I think? - so that's not been done before, either. Carolina Kostner is skating her SP to Dvořák's Humoresque, I don't recall that one used by any high profile skaters, at least not recently. Two seasons ago she used that Shostakovitch piece for her SP, I didn't actually think anyone could skate to it until I saw her do it. Last season, Kavaguti and Smirnov skated to February by Leonid Levashkevich, which I don't believe anyone else has used. Patrick Chan's Elegie SP was and is a fairly original choice.

It may certainly be challenging, but it is not unconventional. There's nothing wrong with a skater challenging themselves to interpret a better known piece (see my example of Dai and Blues for Klook earlier); I only object to the characterization of the music in such cases as fresh and unconventional.
    I still think you are nitpicking and making a mountain out of mole hill and frankly I question your motivation.

It is not like she has not chosen original materials before, take her Homage to Korea, it was cut out of 4-5 different music track not even from the same genre, composer or periods. Same with Les Mis, the entire structure of the program have been re arched for an unfamiliar cut music program. Kiss of the Vampire was entirely out of the box, a little known Hammers movie sound effect no one heard of (to many probably unskatable) to compete against the world's greatest recognized master works. There are no safety net for these choices.

You mentioned she was more original in her last Olympics, yet you can apply the same argument you are using now to them as well. Bond never used? Gershwin in F? Humoresque hasn't been used for skating, but it is certainly one of the most famous classical music around. Certainly in many of UK's commercials. I love the fact composers can write music for individual skaters, or that skaters can find music that have never been skated before, but why should you measure anyone against these impossible standards out of a 'non-conservative' comment?

Again, I have always maintained it is not what you do but how you do it that counts, so just wait for the programs first.

BTW I disagree with you, Shostakovitch music is very skateable, it has good obvious allegretto / staccato structure - steady brisk rhythm that can carry the performance and it is also great to hide lack of finesse, nuance and subtlety which are among Kostner's greatest weaknesses on top of her lack of consistency. The meaning and music intention of the composer however is entirely lost on the performance, it is not a particular deep reading of the music beyond form.

Lori is the master of packaging under the COP and that is why she works great with Kostner who has
    certainly many merit to her skating but finesse and subtlety are not her strength. I really like her Humoresque choice however, it is one of those simple pieces of delightful music that can say so much about the depth and the maturity of performer and their personality, I may be proven wrong, since there are tons of opportunity to display finesse and subtlety if she allows it.
    Last edited by os168; 08-26-2013 at 04:25 PM.

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast