Tranquillo
    vCash

Canadian Cyclist and Olympic Medalist Gillian Carleton discusses her depression

Gillian Carleton, Olympic bronze medalist in track and a professional road cyclist with Specialized-lululemon is taking a break to get treatment for her depression. Kudos to her for talking openly about the issue and doing what is necessary for her health.

I am done with living like this. I cannot be a good teammate, a good athlete, a good daughter, a good girlfriend, when my head and my heart and my lungs and my legs are begging so desperately for a break. For years I have been able to keep my frantic anxiety and mania at bay with cigarettes, with alcohol, with antidepressants and sleeping pills, with cuts that get bigger and more numerous on my arms and legs...but now I am scared of what might happen if I stay silent any longer.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Garden Kitty View Post
    Gillian Carleton, Olympic bronze medalist in track and a professional road cyclist with Specialized-lululemon is taking a break to get treatment for her depression. Kudos to her for talking openly about the issue and doing what is necessary for her health.
    Yes, brave of her to come out in the open regarding her problems. It is not easy for an elite competitor to show the human side for expectations are always high towards those who have delivered. The drive to continuously succeed can take a toil on one's body especially in gruelling sports like cycling. After all, they are all humans not machines.

The fact that Gillian is true to herself and seek help to deal with the depression does indicate she wants to get better and come out stronger than before. Good luck to Gillian. I like her concluding words:
    I am doing everything I can to be ready for this upcoming track season. I want more than anything to be there on the podium at the World Cups, at the World Championships, at the 2014 Commonwealth Games. But at the end of the day, it is just bike racing, and I need to learn how to take care of myself first.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus