vCash

Skating Moves: Cannonball Spin

I'm testing out something different with my YouTube channel by making some vlogs for basic or more advanced skating moves. For my very first vlog (ever), I have decided to make a video about the cannonball spin. It's obviously a more advanced spin, and the video is mostly meant for skaters that have at least mastered the basic sit spin, but I still hope it's helpful to anyone that watches.

The #1 question I get a lot is how to get the pointed toe while spinning. Oftentimes, you see a skater that points his or her toe straight up in the air, or they simply let their skate dangle from both hands, creating a not-so-nice position on an otherwise good spin. In the video, I show how I hold the heel of my boot so I can easily get the toe into a turned out position.

I also break down some of the mechanics of doing the spin, which I hope are helpful.

Anyway, I hope this is helpful, and please enjoy the first vlog. I think for my next one I'll choose an easier element - camel spin? a jump?

Video link: http://youtu.be/7OhpZJx7K0A

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    What an awesome video! I'm very impressed.

Planning? No, no. Let's keep it suicidal.
    vCash
    I would definitely think an easier spin would help out more people...never liked camels, so I'm all for additional help on those, but it's really up to you. Maybe you can do them as 2-parts? First one, the basic spin and then another video focusing on a difficult variation that you like for the same type of spin? Either way, detailed advice is always nice, so keep up the good work .

vCash
    back camel or flying camel please and thank you!

vCash
    Thank you everyone. I'm glad the reception has been positive so far

It looks like the overwhelming favorite choice is the camel spin, based upon comments here and on YT. Guess people want help on camel spins. I think if I have the time, it would be nice to post periodic videos on various moves. One week can be a spin, another week a jump or a MITF element that is generally more difficult to master.

So, when I film again, I will focus on the camel spin, and then I think I will even go back to extreme basics to show how to master spinning in general

vCash
    I'd like to see the camel spin too. If I can be really selfish and ask for a specific piece of explanation, the part that is trouble for me is getting my body into the right position to spin - I think I will be able to spin once I can hit that position and hold it, but it's a lot of coordination to get everything into the right place at the right time.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    You must have to stretch a lot and be able to touch your nose to your knees off the ice in order to get this position. Good job.