Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    vCash
    Just think that the year Ilia Kulik won, Plushenko was right there as the no.3 russian, winning silver at europeans with a quad triple, and a Bronze at world's,
    Had Urmanov competed in the FS at the worlds the year before this could have been Plushenko's 5th

Come to think of it, Yagudin was 3rd at that worlds and Kulik wasn't too far behind, Why didn't they get 3 spots ?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Eladola View Post
    Just think that the year Ilia Kulik won, Plushenko was right there as the no.3 russian, winning silver at europeans with a quad triple, and a Bronze at world's,
    Had Urmanov competed in the FS at the worlds the year before this could have been Plushenko's 5th

Come to think of it, Yagudin was 3rd at that worlds and Kulik wasn't too far behind, Why didn't they get 3 spots ?
    It was a different system then-- Russia had three entries, and all three counted towards the total points. Urmanov withdrew after winning the QR and SP, and it made Russia lose a spot. It was then that everyone realized that the slots earning system was flawed.
    Beefcake's fancy, saccharine, artsy, drag bingo cliche effusing, bipolar, OTT fashionista manchild

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayar View Post
    It was a different system then-- Russia had three entries, and all three counted towards the total points. Urmanov withdrew after winning the QR and SP, and it made Russia lose a spot. It was then that everyone realized that the slots earning system was flawed.
    Jayar is correct. Urmanov's injury in the SP at the 97 worlds cost Russia the third spot in the 98 Olympics. The system was then improved with rule changes.

This brings up an interesting point though. Had Urmanov not been injured in 97, Russia would have had 3 spots and 4 very good skaters- Urmanov, Kulik, Yagudin, Plushenko- all podium contenders (although Yags & Plush were young then). Who would have been left behind? What an awesome talent Russia had at that time!

vCash
    It's interesting because Urmanov was Olympic champion but couldn't medal at a worlds after though might have been on his way in 1997. But maybe him being Olympic champion and euros wins made him safe. Then Kulik had a great 96 but slumped in 97. Yagudin and plushenko were extremely talented newcomers but plushenko was jr champion most recently. Tough to decide! Maybe plushenko because of really seeming the youngest? Just reminds me of the Christine Brennan theory that one of them would become azerbajani or Armenian or something but that's flawed because if they medaled it wouldn't counT for Russia!

vCash
    You'll find more comments from Plushenko about his recovery and comeback in the story in IFS magazine's new issue: http://www.ifsmagazine.com/issues/201310[/QUOTE]W

Eislauffan's interview with Plushenko in the upcoming issue of IFS is pretty amazing. He was so honest about the journey to get where he is now.

vCash
    When Plushy says he not just interested in showing up for his 4th Olympics and "checking the box" but wants to stand on a pedestal,
    I believe him. and I also believe that it is actually possible, maybe not no. 1 but his biggest opponents have a reputation for inconsistency under pressure and where is the pressure greatest if not at the Olympics?? Plush has the killer instinct in competition and if his physique holds up it's anybody's game!

vCash
    If he can perform as he hopes, more power to him.

I used to live in Adam's curls, but he cut them - so now I'm homeless. =o(
    vCash
    He needs to take a seat. Stick a fork in it. Put himself out to stud.

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fydd...e_gdata_player

I really like the "program" from last season (ie skating to the music, steps, element layout). It was so much better than 2010. If he skates like that in Sochi, then only a truly clean Chan and Fernandez could beat him. The top Japanese skater of the season and D10 would be in it for silver or bronze. I still contend a clean D10 could politikally benefit from the games being in Sochi.
    Last edited by bardtoob; 08-25-2013 at 04:31 AM.

vCash
    Plushenko's score at the 2012 Europeans would have had him easily winning the bronze at last years Worlds

Not to mention stealing the small Gold medal from Ten for the free skate

And he didn't even attempt a Quad in the Short there

He is a fierce competitor

Olympics are in Russia

So yes, The possibilty for a Pedestal is defenitely there.

vCash
    delete duplicate

vCash
    There is something rather sad about his statement imo: My life is the ice; I cannot live without fs; love me, love me and love me more.

vCash
    U think THAT'S sad ?

I wish i could get just ONE thing in this life i want half as bad
    Last edited by Eladola; 08-26-2013 at 02:37 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
    He needs to take a seat. Stick a fork in it. Put himself out to stud.
    Eeeeew.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    There is something rather sad about his statement imo: My life is the ice; I cannot live without fs; love me, love me and love me more.
    Sad? You are weird. Have you find wrong thing in that sentence? This quote isn't new, do you think he wanted to bemore popular? Sometimes the popularity bothers him. but yes, his fans love him more and more. He was incredible popular, and he is very popular even today.
    If anybody follows him, knows it is true: " Without figure skating I'm nothing". His whole life is a big proof. He already has everything, every titles, unique carreer, nice family, a lot of money, fame, he is a real celebrity in Russia, the most known and recognized male skater in Europe and Asia, and I think in the whole world,he has own show, ha was not once TV presenter, if he wants can work on the Russian show-business. What more? And what he is doing? He is preparing for the final contest, he constantly has to keep diet, etc. If it fails, the enemies will say, now he is too old .. it would have been better if he finish on the top.
    He is originally interesting and highly intelligent man, who always sincere. ALWAYS! He inspires his fans continously.
    Last edited by lala; 08-25-2013 at 08:52 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bardtoob View Post

I really like the "program" from last season (ie skating to the music, steps, element layout). It was so much better than 2010. If he skates like that in Sochi, then only a truly clean Chan and Fernandez could beat him. The top Japanese skater of the season and D10 would be in it for silver or bronze. I still contend a clean D10 could politikally benefit from the games being in Sochi.
    and they said this program has another version, the 70% of the jumps will be on the second half of the program, Plush wanted to skate that version on Euros.
    His enemies love to say he hasn't SS and he won, because of TES points, and his consistency. But it isn't true. When the new system was introduced, he got higher PCS points than Lambiel or Buttle.

for example,SPs
    1.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlGVCUwzb7I Plushy PCS: 39,85 + TECH 44,50
    2.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQ--iQuOBlM Stef PCS 36,3 + TECH 44,30
    3.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wi2m5hfzY2A Jeffry PCS 36,98

Two places! Atlanta suburbs and in the North Georgia Mountains
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Eladola View Post
    He is a fierce competitor

Olympics are in Russia

So yes, The possibilty for a Pedestal is defenitely there.
    Oh, absolutely he will wind up on the podium unless he has to disqualify himself for some reason. I admire him greatly and wish him well, but I believe the Russian Fed is already polishing his medals-they just can't definitely manipulate which color medal to give him. Sounds cynical, but not farfetched. I actually do hope he wins a medal at Sochi, and I truly hope that if it isn't gold, he will show himself to be the champion we all want him to be by not b******* about it.

Edited to say that I also would love for him to unveil a grown-up haircut for the Olympics.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Holley Calmes View Post
    Oh, absolutely he will wind up on the podium unless he has to disqualify himself for some reason. I admire him greatly and wish him well, but I believe the Russian Fed is already polishing his medals-they just can't definitely manipulate which color medal to give him. Sounds cynical, but not farfetched. I actually do hope he wins a medal at Sochi, and I truly hope that if it isn't gold, he will show himself to be the champion we all want him to be by not b******* about it.

Edited to say that I also would love for him to unveil a grown-up haircut for the Olympics.
    wrote a Yagudin fan..
    hmmm. Maybe you don't know, in Russia doesn't everybody want to his come back. Do you remember Tarasova and her pupil Kovtun? Tarasova is very influental in Rus. skating world. Some people says, Plushy was attacked by Zhurankov after Euros 2013, but that wasn't random, in the background worked the politics..so I'm sure, Plushy has to win clearly in the COR ,Russian Nat Champ, and Euros.
    And I'm sure some people will wrote bad things about him here, whatever he is doing..
    Last edited by lala; 08-25-2013 at 04:09 PM.

with my Sestra Helena plotting how to ravish Hot Paul and delicious Cal
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bardtoob View Post

I agree . . . I really quite enjoyed that program; there's no doubt in my mind that if he had skated this program cleanly in Vancouver, he would easily have been a double Olympic gold medalist. He completes the jumps like they are so easy back to back to back; it really is an incredible sight. He does interpret the music in this program far better than the programs he displayed in Vancouver. Evgeni, IMO, has grown more youthful and handsome looking with age. I may have a little crush developing on him.

YEAH!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lala View Post
    " Without figure skating I'm nothing". His whole life is a big proof. He already has everything, every titles, unique carreer, nice family, a lot of money, fame, he is a real celebrity in Russia, the most known and recognized male skater in Europe and Asia, and I think in the whole world,he has own show, ha was not once TV presenter, if he wants can work on the Russian show-business. What more? And what he is doing? He is preparing for the final contest, he constantly has to keep diet, etc. If it fails, the enemies will say, now he is too old .. it would have been better if he finish on the top.
    He is originally interesting and highly intelligent man, who always sincere. ALWAYS! He inspires his fans continously.
    Exactly, he has so much to lose by coming back, but he does it because he really loves skating and competing. I totally disagree with the people that imply that his coming back means he's a loser who can't find success and accolades anywhere else. He has a lot of opportunities in the Russian entertainment world (in which his wife is well connected and he met her during the Eurovision project). I see him being quite humble in his Sochi endeavor actually. He isn't losing sight of where his success came from. Life is comfortable for the popular pro skaters in Russia, and that's a life he entered 7 years ago, only to come back when he could've just left his gold medal legacy intact. I can think of several US skaters who have talked about training and coming back, but don't actually do it, just seem to use it to keep their name out there. I believe at 2012 Euros Plushy talked about his choice not to do the quad in the SP and figured he would not even make the final group with all the talent out there.. but what do you know, they all fell and he finished second and went on to win gold. I also appreciate that he constantly talks about his rivals, by name (not just country), both the ones from the 90s and the ones from today. There was some video floating on youtube where he was listing them all from Stojko and Kulik to Chan... really amazing and I think he respects all of them.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast