Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ballettmaus View Post
    The sad thing is that he doesn't seem to be able to find any other pleasures in life. There is nothing wrong with having the passion he has, certainly not. So many athletes are lacking that kind of passion.
    That is probably why most athletes are not as decorated as he, and, if he continues to feel this way, then he should be competing, not retiring.

. . . and I am not a Plushy fan for the most part, although I think it is great that he is actually starting to make more use of his skating skills in his choreography.

vCash
    Just found this article on Plushenko on NBC. He is realistic about his chances in Sochi.

http://olympictalk.nbcsports.com/201...ympics-russia/

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    Just found this article on Plushenko on NBC. He is realistic about his chances in Sochi.

http://olympictalk.nbcsports.com/201...ympics-russia/
    NBC just rehashes the Russian article posted here on August 26: http://www.team-russia2014.ru/article/11164.html
    They even didn't translate it themselves but quote AFP instead.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Eislauffan View Post
    NBC just rehashes the Russian article posted here on August 26: http://www.team-russia2014.ru/article/11164.html
    They even didn't translate it themselves but quote AFP instead.
    That seems to be the purpose and method of the "NBC OlympicTalk" blog by Nick Zaccardi - Olympic-related stories are summarized from other articles published online.

Here's the link to the AFP article from August 28 that translated/summarized the original Russian article on Plushenko: http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/n...inish-at-sochi
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Has anyone seen a consistent source of translations - from Russian to English - of media coverage and blogs about Russian skaters? I would think especially during the run up into a first-ever-to-be-hosted-in-Russia Olympics, that there would be plenty written, including about top contenders.

Here's to hoping there IS or WILL BE some blogger who can be helpful in this regard. I find the whole Russian "machine" and this comeback of such an iconic champion like Plushenko, to be simply fascinating.

vCash

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    IIRC Liz Manley skated a 'greatest hits' type LP in the 1988 Olys. Those were her favorite pieces of music, not necessarily the ones she had skated to. It worked out fine. However, for Plushenko I would have liked something like his Nijinski program. I will be happy with whatever music he skates to, as long as he is able to skate 4 programs (and skate well) during the Olympics.

I would have braught that back too,

You know what ? I bet Plushenko wanted to bring it back too,
    But then Putin heard about it, and gave Mishin a call reminding him that Nijinsky was GAYYYYYYYYYY and oh my god think of the children etc...

vCash
    I just hope that if he goes to the Olympics he'll have a truly artistic program - and not just thrashing around. I admire is his athleticism and abilities and his desire to compete at such a high level again. I say go for it! It will make all other competitors work harder!

Entre el mundo del patinaje y el mundo real
    vCash
    I´ve never been a fan of his skating, but I come to admire him so much I hope he remains healthy and brings his best at the Olympics.

vCash
    What is the probability that Plush won't get the one spot Russia has?
    Last edited by Iceman; 09-05-2013 at 12:58 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    What is the probability that Plush won't get the one spot Russia has?
    I think a lot of it depends on his body.

He will always jump well if his body holds up, he still pulls decent PCS, and his overwhelming mental strength will always have him ahead of the younger guys.

But Plushenko is also being realistic about this season, too. He knows his body might not make it. He's already said that if he doesn't feel he can do four programs to the best of his ability (remember, he would have to do the team event!) then he would step aside and let one of the others take it.

vCash
    Not sure if this was already pointed out but...With regard to Pushy's new LP "Best of Pluschenko," did you realize that he is not the first past-Olympic star to skate a 'greatest hits-greatest moves' program at a later Olympics? Guess who? Torvill & Dean, that's who. Their 1994 comeback FD was titled 'Face the Music' but the choreography in the final (Olympics) version threw in a bunch of famous moves from various old FDs that fans could recognize, such as the 'chugging train' move from their 1982 Mack & Mabel FD or the 'trapeze' slides from their 1983 Barnum.

Sorry, Pluschenko - the 'Best of...' style program has already been done in Olympic competition.
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Frau Muller View Post

Sorry, Pluschenko - the 'Best of...' style program has already been done in Olympic competition.
    Yes, you are right, plus Elizabeth Manley 1988 FS. But this is Mishin's idea, Plush really didn't want it.
    Last edited by lala; 09-29-2013 at 06:40 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lala View Post
    Yes, you are right, plus Elizabeth Manley 1988 FS. But this is Mishin's idea, Plush really didn't want it.
    That is a shame. The T&D 1994 FD was changed several times -- from Nationals to Euros to Olys. The Oly version was the one packed with old steps and moves, one after the other. I found it tacky and crazy. The Euros version, one month earlier -- which WON Europeans -- was much better & original. I thought that Liz Manley just used one old piece of music ('A Canadian Concerto') from the past, in the middle of her 'Irma La Douce' program...or was 'Irma' also from an old prog? Many people have done that - use one or two cuts of music from the past. But what T&D did in 94 was ridiculous, IMO: to jam-pack it with old highlight 'tricks,' one after the other. I hope that Plushy/Mishin aren't planning to do this.
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Frau Muller View Post
    That is a shame. The T&D 1994 FD was changed several times -- from Nationals to Euros to Olys. The Oly version was the one packed with old steps and moves, one after the other. I found it tacky and crazy. The Euros version, one month earlier -- which WON Europeans -- was much better & original. I thought that Liz Manley just used one old piece of music ('A Canadian Concerto') from the past, in the middle of her 'Irma La Douce' program...or was 'Irma' also from an old prog? Many people have done that - use one or two cuts of music from the past. But what T&D did in 94 was ridiculous, IMO: to jam-pack it with old highlight 'tricks,' one after the other. I hope that Plushy/Mishin aren't planning to do this.
    I also hope they won't do that.

Journalist:Is it easier to prepare such a program? After all, you did it earlier.
    Plush: On the contrary - even more difficult. We are doing everything new! And it's important to get at least no worse than it was - in my best programs. But it's even more interesting. Naturally, we modify, invent, and insert new elements. One can not simply add up parts of all programs, all the pieces of choreography, which I once performed - and get a new program. It's just not possible! Figure skating is going forward in terms of transitions, glide, spins. And I have to be in step with it

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234