vCash

Getting used to new blades

Finally got new Coronation Ace blades a few days ago after my old Pattern 99's were put out to pasture (about time, too since they were completely flat). Obviously, changing to a different profile blade takes some getting used to, but having deep edges and control again is very nice. There is one drawback. My forward spins have gone on vacation. Back scratch, which was always hit and miss with me, is nice and centered. I can't seem to hook my forward spin entrance properly, though.

Got the blades adjusted this morning and while that did help, I still start the spin by doing a twizzle and then get it centered. Not sure if that's just me not being used to my fwd rocker or if there's still an issue with blade placement. Will skate again Sat & Sunday, so hopefully I can figure out whether that's me or the blade by then. Any ideas what else I could do to test this? Forward edges, straight lines, three turns, power pulls & all other MITFs I tried this morning (for a grand total of 5 mins while I was testing the new blade position) all felt fine.

vCash
    I'm not a very high level skater but it has always taken me some time to get used to blades. I generally give them a month to start performing like usual... Just a lot of stroking and crossovers. Then trying my best to spin and jump if they'll let me.

vCash
    I found it hard to get used to new Coronation Aces after replacing the old ones (because they were pretty much flat).

I had the most trouble with spins too. I think it is because the sweet spot shifts ever so slightly as the blade is sharpened and re-sharpened, so you don't notice it until you're on a different blade. What helped me was to work on spins in the same sequence as if I was learning them again - e.g. two-foot spin from a standing position, the same spin but lifting one foot up, doing the crossovers into the forward spin but not spinning very fast or long, and so on. I found that helped me figure out the timing and the sweet spot with the new blades.
    We live in an ageist society where everything is based on youth, but I hated being 18. I don't like teenagers any more now than I did then. I'm 49 now and there is no way that I'd go back to my teens and 20s - even if I knew what I know now, I don't want to go through all that again. I found it a very difficult time. - Buzz Osborne of the Melvins

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    I'm not a very high level skater but it has always taken me some time to get used to blades. I generally give them a month to start performing like usual... Just a lot of stroking and crossovers. Then trying my best to spin and jump if they'll let me.
    Hopefully I didn't make myself sound like a high-level skater because that would be pretty far from reality . Just started working on novice moves now and trying to get axels back, so nothing too exciting on that front. Spins were something I could do well, so I'm hoping this is temporary.

Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    I found it hard to get used to new Coronation Aces after replacing the old ones (because they were pretty much flat).

I had the most trouble with spins too. I think it is because the sweet spot shifts ever so slightly as the blade is sharpened and re-sharpened, so you don't notice it until you're on a different blade. What helped me was to work on spins in the same sequence as if I was learning them again - e.g. two-foot spin from a standing position, the same spin but lifting one foot up, doing the crossovers into the forward spin but not spinning very fast or long, and so on. I found that helped me figure out the timing and the sweet spot with the new blades.
    Doing spins in increased order of difficulty sounds like a very good suggestion -will put it to good use on Sunday's freestyle session. And, good to hear it's not just me when it comes to getting used to new blades. On a logical level I knew it must be true, but it's still nice to get it confirmed.

vCash
    Just as a follow-up, spins have gotten a lot better . Working on two foot spins to one foot definitely helped. Still not fully there, but I managed a few camels and camel sits today. Laybacks are still off limits since I keep rocking on my blade at all the wrong times.

vCash
    Try all of the double 3-turns on your left foot (LFO, LBO, LFI, LBI) and see if you have trouble with any of them. If so, you may have a blade placement problem. If not, it may just be that the rocker shape of the Coronation Ace rolls you up to the toepick differently--or with different timing--than your old Pattern 99's. Not only is the Pattern 99 a flatter blade overall (8 ft rocker vs the 7ft rocker on the Coronation Ace) but it also has a slightly different rocker shape. Do you do twizzles? Are you LFO twizzles affected, too?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Doubletoe View Post
    Try all of the double 3-turns on your left foot (LFO, LBO, LFI, LBI) and see if you have trouble with any of them. If so, you may have a blade placement problem. If not, it may just be that the rocker shape of the Coronation Ace rolls you up to the toepick differently--or with different timing--than your old Pattern 99's. Not only is the Pattern 99 a flatter blade overall (8 ft rocker vs the 7ft rocker on the Coronation Ace) but it also has a slightly different rocker shape. Do you do twizzles? Are you LFO twizzles affected, too?
    Thank you for the tips! Double 3s were fine and once my coach pointed out I was keeping my free foot behind me long enough on the entrance of my spin, those got better as well. Guess I just need to get used to the new rocker. Have a show coming up in early Oct, but I think things should be back to normal by that point.

Oh, and my left twizzles are always a mess (did intermediate MITF right before the new rules), so not sure those would have been much help.

vCash
    I went the other direction, from 7ft rocker to 8ft rocker. I think the 7ft rocker ones (which were Coronation Ace), were a lot easier to skate on, but for jump landings I felt like I was landing on a thimble compared to the 8ft rockers.

vCash
    I switched to a 7 foot rocker in May. I'm only just now starting to feel somewhat comfortable/confident on them.