Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Ice Castle in Lake Arrowhead to close Aug. 30th

vCash
    Very sad news. I'm guessing that insurance premiums, including those against forest fires, had gone through the roof. Can't The Kween step up and buy it????

Left in the Kiss-n-Cry
    vCash
    What terrible news, especially for families who have moved all they way there to train.
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Frau Muller View Post
    Very sad news. I'm guessing that insurance premiums, including those against forest fires, had gone through the roof. Can't The Kween step up and buy it????
    So many rinks in the USA closing, particularly in the past few years. Perhaps someone will step in to by the rink -- if not, I wonder what the building will become. I hope it just doesn't sit dormant until someone does purchase the building/land.

I recall looking at curiosity what the rental price was for private booking there - the rate was only $250 an hour and they appear to have a lot of open time (at least in the summer). http://www.icecastle.us/privateice.html . Seems pretty cheap, really, given the cost of ice in general in SoCal. Even in the Midwest that's a steal, and we don't have as nice of facilities in general and our energy costs are much more affordable. Seems they cold have been charging much more, but given it's a smaller resort-type town area, perhaps they would have priced themself out of business with local groups (not necessarily the elite ice skaters). Their freestyle prices were comparable to SoCal rinks, too. I wonder if business was down these past few years, or if it came down to taxes, insurance, weak financial management, etc.

My thoughts are with the coaches, skaters, and their families -- such a tough transition if there isn't another rink in close proximity. Though, long commutes are the norm for those down the mountain in LA/OC/SoCal.

Tranquillo
    vCash
    So sad, such a part of skating history in the US. I've never been there, but it just sounded like such an idyllic setting for a skating rink.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash
    I envied all the skaters who trained there, when NBC used the rink as a vehicle to promote their coverage for several years.

It's so sad when another part of skating's history is lost.
    What stories the walls could tell!

vCash
    Really sad to hear that. My family and I skated there with Evan Lysacek, and we will always have fond memories of our evening at Lake Arrowhead.

vCash
    It is sad to hear such a well known rink closing.

vCash
    Most of the rinks in my area owe their survival to offering hockey as well as figure skating, and even then it's a struggle. Skating rinks are costly to maintain and a facility of that age probably needs renovation.

vCash
    Awww I spent a great summer at the Ice Castle facility when it was the original building, it is sad to see a rink with such history closing

vCash
    Massive piece of US skating history - what a shame. Things have been hard it seems since the rink burned a few years back. Didn't the Probst's (I think that was the name) own it then had to sell?

vCash
    Relevant excerpt from article:
    What began as an outdoor rink in the early 1930s eventually became the Ice Castle, owned and operated in Blue Jay by Carol Probst, a former Ice Follies star, and her husband, Walter. The roof of that structure collapsed in 2001 after a heavy snowfall.

The Probsts had built a training center on Burnt Mill Road in 1988, where the mountain figure skating tradition continued. When Carol Probst decided to sell the facility, Liu—a seven-time Australian national champion, who was training at the Ice Castle—stepped up.

And that is what [Galina] Bushkova and the parents of the students training at the Ice Castle hope will happen now: That someone or a group of investors will step up and purchase the facility.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    It is a shame that the USOC doesn't find a sponsor, and give it a national training center designation like it has done with the Colorado Springs World Arena facilities.

http://www.springsgov.com/News.aspx?NewsID=1569

Perhaps some of the USOC major sponsors would look at this as a long term investment? P&G perhaps?

vCash
    Noooo!!! How sad. That training center seems to be such a beautiful place.
    I always dreamed of stepping on that ice
    How come it's closing so suddenly?

vCash
    double post, sorry

vCash
    I skated there in the early 90s. So sad.

vCash
    I'm so glad we had a chance to skate there. It's a beautiful facility. Not fancy, but skaters feel special on a rink with no boards and a wall of mirrors. We even got to stay in their cabin and had so much fun. I am really sad to see it close. One of my daughter's played hockey at Blue Jay and he and his team were so lost without their rink when it was decided to not rebuild. Skating matters.

vCash
    So sad one of the US skating historical places is closing. My thoughts are with the skaters, coaches and their families.

I wonder where Ashley, Adam and now Kiira are planniing to train with RA. Hopefully it doesn't disturb their peeking.

vCash
    Da- yUMMM !

Can't believe i JUST got my tickets to LA in oct. with going there in mind :O

vCash
    Rink founder Carol Probst, Karen Kwan Oppegard & others reflect on the Ice Castle, which will close its doors Aug 31: http://www.icenetwork.com/news/2013/08/27/58343346
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast