Page 43 of 45 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    US girls have to put it all out there in both the SP and LP. Mirai led after the SP in 2010 then collapsed Ashley put herself in a hole after the SP in 2012 then skated lights out but it wasn't enough and Gracie needed another strong LP to medal and didn't.
    Well yea, that's my point.

The Russian girls are holding it together under the bright lights.

A clean Julia seems out of reach for any of our girls at the moment. Then there is Anna and let's not foget the Golden girl.
    And there is Rad and more coming.

Do you really think Ashley or Gracie can hold them off at this point?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Well actually i don't think Gracie meant to not make the GPF the last couple years on purpose. She needed a strong GP season to have been a serious contender for a medal at the Olympics like Julia was. Gracie needs to have a strong GP season next year and make the final.
    True. Good point. Poor wording on my part. I don't think she was trying to have a mediocre GP, it wasn't strategy, it just happened. I should have worded it : a mediocre GP season didn't hurt Gracie the last two years.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLucky View Post
    Next season Russia will have three as will USA. But Russian girls are winning big medals and we are not. Nothing hypothetical about that and if our girls keep making so many mistakes they most likley won't be on the podium.....again.
    But so much changes in just a few months in figure skating. Who would have thought after the Russian ladies dismal worlds in 2013 that they would produce a gold medalist in ladies singles? Skating is a very fickle sport and things may be drastically different by next year. I could see the Russian ladies landing on the world podium next year or I could see them falling back to just two ladies for 2016. Neither scenario would surprise me. It's figure skating. Same for the American ladies. And who the heck knows what will happen to the Japanese women now. The momentum is always changing in figure skating. One of the reasons why I love it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fenway2 View Post
    But so much changes in just a few months in figure skating. Who would have thought after the Russian ladies dismal worlds in 2013 that they would produce a gold medalist in ladies singles? Skating is a very fickle sport and things may be drastically different by next year. I could see the Russian ladies landing on the world podium next year or I could see them falling back to just two ladies for 2016. Neither scenario would surprise me. It's figure skating. Same for the American ladies. And who the heck knows what will happen to the Japanese women now. The momentum is always changing in figure skating. One of the reasons why I love it.
    True. It seemed coming into this Olympics that the younger girls wouldn't have enough time to contend against the veterans since they arrived on the scene rather late in the Olympic cycle. Heck Julia wasn't even old enough to go to Worlds till after the Olympics Gracie seemed to be a non factor as did Adelina but just look how in a couple shorts months they all closed the gap on the established veterans.

vCash
    I really hope Ashley can regain her position as US number one lady, but it's going to be really hard to do it, especially since USFSA has been waiting with baited breath to crown Gracie as the new champion. But why be a queen when you can be a fierce diva?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bronwynsings View Post
    I really hope Ashley can regain her position as US number one lady, but it's going to be really hard to do it, especially since USFSA has been waiting with baited breath to crown Gracie as the new champion. But why be a queen when you can be a fierce diva?
    So you can stand on the top of the podium!
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

vCash
    I liked S&D 2013 but I absolutely loved the 2014 version! Loved all the nuances and the polish she brought to the program. She deserved higher PCS and definitely at least higher than Gold, Pog and Lip for that matter.

Jumps looked bigger than ever and more powerful. The solid 3loop is back and the first 3flip is a beauty. Spins are also much improved (at least no longer a burden).

She lost a lot of clout when she placed 4th at Nationals so she is going to need another very solid GP season (like she had in the past 2 seasons) to build up her scoring momentum again.

Perhaps a 3flip3toe is too much to ask of her. Maybe a 3loop3toe or even 3sal3toe is better?

Short: 3loop3toe, 3flip, 2axel

Long: 3loop3toe, 3flip half loop 3sal, 3lutz, 2axel2toe (or 3toe if she missed 3/3), 2axel, 3flip, 3loop

vCash
    I think the 3 loop-3 toe would be a better jump combo for Ashley. The loop is her best jump. Ashley and Akiko deserved higher PCS than Lip. It's a travesty that they got lower PCS than Lip. I don't understand why the judges always seem to have a love affair with some of the European skaters.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I liked S&D 2013 but I absolutely loved the 2014 version! Loved all the nuances and the polish she brought to the program. She deserved higher PCS and definitely at least higher than Gold, Pog and Lip for that matter.

Jumps looked bigger than ever and more powerful. The solid 3loop is back and the first 3flip is a beauty. Spins are also much improved (at least no longer a burden).

She lost a lot of clout when she placed 4th at Nationals so she is going to need another very solid GP season (like she had in the past 2 seasons) to build up her scoring momentum again.

Perhaps a 3flip3toe is too much to ask of her. Maybe a 3loop3toe or even 3sal3toe is better?

Short: 3loop3toe, 3flip, 2axel

Long: 3loop3toe, 3flip half loop 3sal, 3lutz, 2axel2toe (or 3toe if she missed 3/3), 2axel, 3flip, 3loop
    I definitely think she was hosed on PCS at Worlds. She definitely redeemed herself after Nationals with strong showings at the Olympics and Worlds.

I don't know about Salchow combinations for Ashley. The jump is probably one of her weaker triples (along with the flutz) and she doesn't get a ton of flow out of it.

The loop is a beauty -- I wonder if she might even risk a 3Lo+3Lo but callers are still so strict. She used to do 3Lz+3Lo and 3T+3T too, with varying success. Too bad the rules don't allow for her to try 3F+3Lo, 3Lo, 2A in the short.

I think she should stick with her current jump layouts (with the 2A+3T as a "backup" if she misses the 3F+3T in the free) and maybe address that flutz.

That, and to skate clean, character-driven programs can get her that top spot again. Gracie and Polina excite me more at this point, but Ashley can win me back.
    Last edited by all_empty; 03-31-2014 at 03:55 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLucky View Post
    Well yea, that's my point.

The Russian girls are holding it together under the bright lights.

A clean Julia seems out of reach for any of our girls at the moment. Then there is Anna and let's not foget the Golden girl.
    And there is Rad and more coming.

Do you really think Ashley or Gracie can hold them off at this point?
    Ashley and Gracie aren't holding off the Golden Girl and Julia. They are playing catch up, but looking at Julia's jump technique and keeping in mind her size and age, her jumps will be a test if she grows substantially / sprouts boobs and hips.

vCash
    So I heard that Shae-Lynn Bourne will be choreographing Ashley's free program next season Even though Mills was her best choreographer so far, I like Shae-Lynn's work too and I'm excited to see how this will turn out!

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    Is that a reaction to bronwynsings' comment?

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Yes. I am convinced that Philip Mills really brought out Ashley's strengths as a skater and interpreter of programs. He literally invented her style. While the Pink Floyd program was OK, it was a bit pedestrian IMO and nothing like the epic, career-making programs that Mills had created for her. I mean the Black Swan and S&D.

I have been nurturing a crazy and far-fetched hope that Ashley and Philip Mills would reunite. Alas...
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Shae-Lynn Bourne said in Korea that she'll start choreographing long programs for Ashley and Hanyu in two months. Both of their R&J didn't work well for them so I think it's better choice for them anyway.

vCash
    Yes. I am convinced that Philip Mills really brought out Ashley's strengths as a skater and interpreter of programs. He literally invented her style. While the Pink Floyd program was OK, it was a bit pedestrian IMO and nothing like the epic, career-making programs that Mills had created for her. I mean the Black Swan and S&D.

I have been nurturing a crazy and far-fetched hope that Ashley and Philip Mills would reunite. Alas...
    The thing I find about Mills' choreography is that he takes the music quite literally and tries to put a movement to every note. Other choreographers tend to be much different in this regard. But let's see what Shae Lynn can give Ashley!

All I wish is that she puts her frickin 3 jump combo somewhere else.

vCash
    Yes. I am convinced that Philip Mills really brought out Ashley's strengths as a skater and interpreter of programs. He literally invented her style.
    Yes...however it seems that bridge has been burned(?). Anyway, I'm willing to reserve judgment in this case. She already tried to branch out once and that didn't work. Clearly she'll need to take it up a notch if she wants better results and as good as those programs were (when she skated them well), they didn't get her to where she wants to be. Therefore, a different perspective could help her. I'm gonna wait and see...

ETA: You know, ultimately the IJS is about getting points, not performing. If SLB and team Wagner can put something together that maximizes her scoring potential and gets her points, the rest won't matter.
    Last edited by RD; 05-06-2014 at 02:11 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rosewood View Post
    Shae-Lynn Bourne said in Korea that she'll start choreographing long programs for Ashley and Hanyu in two months. Both of their R&J didn't work well for them so I think it's better choice for them anyway.
    Two months- I may be off but isn't that a bit late to start working? I had hoped Ashley would return to Mills too but figured it probably wouldn't happen. I'm just so happy she's staying in and I'll be excited to see what her team comes up with.

vCash
    I think Shae-Lynn did a strong job choreographing the Pink Floyd SP and I'm glad she is using her again. I wonder if she is planning a new short program as well.

The two months thing sounds a bit late but given that Ashley has been on tour I wonder if she even has had a chance to chose music yet.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_E View Post
    I think Shae-Lynn did a strong job choreographing the Pink Floyd SP and I'm glad she is using her again. I wonder if she is planning a new short program as well.

The two months thing sounds a bit late but given that Ashley has been on tour I wonder if she even has had a chance to chose music yet.
    That's true and it seems like very few skaters are already back at the drawing board after this loooong season. Next season is very unlike this season where everyone wanted to get a jump on things, get programs out early etc. Ashley clearly works quickly, rebooting S&D in a matter of a few weeks. I suppose if she's not doing a senior B, she'll have more than enough time to be ready for a late October/early November GP start if she gets to work in the summer.

Page 43 of 45 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 LastLast