Page 4 of 45 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

vCash
    Congratulations to Ash for the bronze medal at Grand Prix final!!
    It was a tougher field than last year considering those Russian ladies who have difficult 3-3 combos. Also it was a notable achievement to grab a medal under a big pressure. Go for the third gold medal at US Nats in a row!

vCash
    Ashley is the only US ladies skater who has proven she definitely deserves a nod for Sochi!!

vCash
    I watched the NBC telecast of the ladies GPF. Johnny was a little meh about Ashley, harping on her history of 2-footing which has been for the most part corrected. It wasn't her best, but then he went on to praise Adelina's 3z-3l in which she landed the 3loop backwards. I was like WTF

Sorry. Feeling a little protective of Ashley for some reason ...

vCash
    I noticed that too! I don't understand why NBC isn't pushing Ashley harder when she is by far our best shot at a medal outside of dance

vCash
    I too thought Johnny was harsh on Ashley. I think he is not a fan because he was this way in previous commentary. Did they overlap with Priscilla as coach? I wondered if they have a history....

Anyway, I thought Ashley kept herself in the Sochi podium conversation by medaling at the GPF. Had she beed clean, I think she would easily gotten silver. I hope she gets her consistency back. That was such a strong point for her.

vCash
    I think Johnny has a history of just not being a fan of US ladies in general. Whenever he lists his favorite skaters, they are always Russian or Asian. At one point I remember he had Mirai as one of his favorite female skaters but that lasted for a quick second...her name was gone from his "favorites" list as fast as it was put up on his site.

vCash
    2 news items via Twitter:

Ashley tweeted that she and Adam Rippon will be "doing a Vine Q&A on Tuesday at 7 pm EST."

She is scheduled to be interviewed on the TODAY show on Wed. Dec. 11 in the 8:30 am 1/2 hour (assume she also will skate, weather permitting).
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I didn't feel that Johnny picked on Ashley. She does 2 foot when she is nervous. Still, what an accomplishment for Ashley! Imperfect skate, deep field and she medals! Tuns out she stacks up very well against the Russian babies.

Really hoping she irons out the kinks by Nationals. And would love to see more character to the free skate. Love the SP, suits her perfectly but the FS needs more je ne sais quoi. Hope she gets enough rest and practice and at Nationals (and the Olympics!! )

Proud of our champ!!
    Last edited by IceAlisa; 12-09-2013 at 09:11 PM.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Yes, I agree, Ashley is really owning her season, putting in a consistent 3-3 and grabbing her share of the medals. I think she is actually one of the most consistent and competition ready skaters so far. For all the criticism, I think maybe only Julia L has been more consistent. Mao, Akiko, Adelina, they have all had their share of mistakes. Carolina , Gracie, Kanako have made so many that they are not really in the running yet this season. Ashley is consistently building on her season, first with the more difficult combo, then the spin levels, now the performance quality.

It is only the LP that has not really gelled. Maybe go back to Black Swan? I really loved that program on her. I don't really 'get' bedroom juliet, but maybe that too will come in time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnskater View Post
    … Had she beed clean, I think she would easily gotten silver. I hope she gets her consistency back. That was such a strong point for her.
    Actually, if she had just stood up on the flutz, she probably would've pipped Julia for Silver.

vCash
    I like this program and music although Black Swan was probably her best LP. I am keeping my fingers crossed that Ashley skates well at the nationals and builds momentum for the Olympics by winning the title again.

vCash
    Reminder that Ashley is scheduled to skate tomorrow morning (Wed.) on the TODAY show at 8:45am: http://instagram.com/p/hxBVxdPnrl/

More photos/short videos posted here: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...=1#post4076384
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Beautiful skate this morning on the Today show. Sad I couldn't go see it in person. Here is a picture Ashley tweeted. http://instagram.com/p/hyUr3NCr3_/#

vCash
    I actually liked that dress better then her current LP dress. Maybe she should switch. I think the one she wore today looks more like Juliet.

vCash
    That dress is really, really pretty.

Gotta give Ashley props. She figured out what she needed to do to get to the top, made the changes she needed to make, worked her butt off and has achieved many of her goals. She is one gutsy and dedicated lady!
    DH - and that's just my opinion

vCash
    Ashley has definitely put herself in the running for a podium spot in Sochi. She could even win a silver if many top skaters make mistakes (and she skates clean).

vCash
    Silver would be hard as things now look like Kim and Asada even making serious mistakes are out of reach for all others. Their mistakes will only impact their chances vs each other to which wins gold. I sort of see it as 3 or 4 women shooting for that bronze the way things look now. Funny how after last season Kostner looked on par with Mao for silver. Wow has that ever changed.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Anyone have a link to her Today's Show skate?
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    Silver would be hard as things now look like Kim and Asada even making serious mistakes are out of reach for all others. Their mistakes will only impact their chances vs each other to which wins gold. I sort of see it as 3 or 4 women shooting for that bronze the way things look now. Funny how after last season Kostner looked on par with Mao for silver. Wow has that ever changed.
    I was thinking the same thing regarding Kostner. But she usually picks up steam as the season progresses, so I'll reserve judgment on her. Still, I don't think she will be challenging Mao or Yu Na in any way.

Depending on Kostner, I see bronze being a battle between Lipnitskaya and Wagner. Sotnikova is too wildly inconsistent. Suzuki could surprise but she's battling inconsistency lately as well. Ditto Gold

vCash
    I wouldn't count Kostner out of the race for the gold medal just yet - lets see what happens at Europeans, if Kostner wins there and looks strong - short program above 70, free skate above 130 - then she will be positioned for a medal.
    When watching live I like everyone to skate clean - but on television the occasional trainwreck can be fun.

Page 4 of 45 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast