Page 35 of 45 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Karpenko View Post
    http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/wag...lympic-journey

I love this. I also really want to go people watching and comment with her.
    Ha!
    Last edited by RD; 02-22-2014 at 03:36 PM.

vCash
    I just saw Ashley a couple minutes ago! I got her autograph and I thanked her for everything she's done for the sport (hopefully she knows what I was referring to in terms of the judging comments and gay rights stuff she said-- maybe one of the athletes stalk FSU and will see this and tell her!). I then gave her a figure skating sochi pin that I bought in the USA shop.

Hmm I should have asked if she was participating in the closing ceremonies because I forgot to tell her what my mom said!
    Last edited by smarts1; 02-22-2014 at 08:27 AM.

vCash
    Aw, that's great smarts1! It's one of my dreams to actually meet Ashley, but I won her autograph on twitter recently

vCash
    I don't think Ashley is one to talk about other people with falls finishing ahead of her considering she fell twice at Nationals last season in her LP and still won or falling twice at Nationals this year and still getting the nod to go to the Olympics over another skater who didn't fall.

vCash
    What part of "Cheer Thread" don't you get?

In other news, Jeremy posted a cool pic on Instagram of Ashley & Marissa at the bobsled.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    I don't think Ashley is one to talk about other people with falls finishing ahead of her considering she fell twice at Nationals last season in her LP and still won or falling twice at Nationals this year and still getting the nod to go to the Olympics over another skater who didn't fall.
    Sounds like she is criticizing the system in general - yes, she has been on the beneficiary side of controversial/close calls, too.

I find it hard to disagree with her TBH, I feel the same way. Glad SOMEONE has the guts to say something. The anonymous judging was always a joke. But ultimately it's going to take more than just lifting the curtain because the lack of one prior didn't stop cheating, of course.

Why not make judges paid professionals? It would be FAR easier to remove those who don't conform instead of tying it so closely to politics.

In other news, Jeremy posted a cool pic on Instagram of Ashley & Marissa at the bobsled.
    Saw that. Talk about a lucky shot!
    Last edited by RD; 02-23-2014 at 03:48 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bronwynsings View Post
    Aw, that's great smarts1! It's one of my dreams to actually meet Ashley, but I won her autograph on twitter recently
    Lol Ashley is giving an autograph giveaway? Congrats on the autograph! She has a nice signature.

vCash
    I'm glad to hear Ashley plans to go for 2018! With her experience and fiercely competitive nature, I think she can provide some good stability and increasing maturity for U.S. ladies skating in this next quad. Perhaps she can break into the world medals as well.

vCash
    The US youngsters will come up and provide some strong competition so Wagner will need to adjust accordingly if she wishes to remain competitive and continue to make World teams, etc. Gold has already surpassed her and Edmunds is coming on fast. As long as the US can keep 3 spots for worlds, I think AW *can* hang in there. Since this will be her 3rd Oly cycle I think ultimately it will depend on whether her body still has 4 more years left in it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smarts1 View Post
    Lol Ashley is giving an autograph giveaway? Congrats on the autograph! She has a nice signature.
    No, the USFSA twitter was about a month ago. They were doing autograph giveaways leading up to Sochi.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RD View Post
    The US youngsters will come up and provide some strong competition so Wagner will need to adjust accordingly if she wishes to remain competitive and continue to make World teams, etc. Gold has already surpassed her and Edmunds is coming on fast. As long as the US can keep 3 spots for worlds, I think AW *can* hang in there. Since this will be her 3rd Oly cycle I think ultimately it will depend on whether her body still has 4 more years left in it.
    IDK, besides Polina, I don't see anyone in the U.S., Junior or otherwise, really threatening to surpass Ashley the next couple of years, save for the following:

If Mirai says 'enough is enough!' and starts to nail it under Mr. Mura's tutelage, and skates lights out all season long in 2014-15 or Courtney finally follows Gracie's route, reins in her incredible jumps and continues to develop her PCS, those are the only two that might be a threat. Those are big tasks.

Samantha is good, but she's going to have to overhaul a few elements of her overall skating to be top 3 threat in the U.S. - speed, stamina, UR's, getting 7 triples.

But the others - Agnes is a big ole head-case and was ceremoniously dumped at Nationals, Gao is off to Harvard, Ashley (Cain) is never steady despite showing promise at Nebelhorn, perhaps she is just another US skater w/ a fragile psyche. The newer additions - Hannah Miller's jumps can be viewed under a microscope and she makes Lipnitskaya look like Midori Ito. Leah Keiser looked good in the SP at Nationals, but has a looong way to go. Barbie Long has something, but also a loooong way to go. Angela Wang is a bundle of talent but spends more time on her butt than on one leg. Is there anyone else?

No. 3 is Ashley's to lose at least for the near future, again unless Mirai or Courtney skate well constantly and consistently and that's a big ask.

with my Sestra Helena plotting how to ravish Hot Paul and delicious Cal
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    IDK, besides Polina, I don't see anyone in the U.S., Junior or otherwise, really threatening to surpass Ashley the next couple of years.

Hannah Miller's jumps can be viewed under a microscope and she makes Lipnitskaya look like Midori Ito.
    Hannah has excellent skating skills though and I'm hoping her technique will improve. It would be a real shame to see talent like her's go unrealized. Hopefully, she will work with a jump coach who will help her fully blossom. She is only 17 and still has time on her side; perhaps she will be more of a late bloomer.

As for Ashley, I wonder if she and Rafael have ever considered replacing the 3flip+3toe with a 3toe+3toe in both of her programs. I hate to see her lose so many points for the 3flip+3toe when it is usually 2-footed and under-rotated. She normally ends up with less points than if she executed a more simple 3flip+2toe cleanly. She can't afford to give up GOE points in a SP if she wants stronger results. I'm thinking she could try going for this in the future . . .

SP:
    3toe+3toe
    3flip
    2Axel

LP:
    3toe+3toe
    2Axel
    3Salchow
    x3Lutz
    x3flip+2toe+2loop
    x3loop+2Axel SEQ
    x3flip
    Last edited by museksk8r; 02-23-2014 at 05:42 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    IDK, besides Polina, I don't see anyone in the U.S., Junior or otherwise, really threatening to surpass Ashley the next couple of years, save for the following:

If Mirai says 'enough is enough!' and starts to nail it under Mr. Mura's tutelage, and skates lights out all season long in 2014-15 or Courtney finally follows Gracie's route, reins in her incredible jumps and continues to develop her PCS, those are the only two that might be a threat. Those are big tasks.

Samantha is good, but she's going to have to overhaul a few elements of her overall skating to be top 3 threat in the U.S. - speed, stamina, UR's, getting 7 triples.

But the others - Agnes is a big ole head-case and was ceremoniously dumped at Nationals, Gao is off to Harvard, Ashley (Cain) is never steady despite showing promise at Nebelhorn, perhaps she is just another US skater w/ a fragile psyche. The newer additions - Hannah Miller's jumps can be viewed under a microscope and she makes Lipnitskaya look like Midori Ito. Leah Keiser looked good in the SP at Nationals, but has a looong way to go. Barbie Long has something, but also a loooong way to go. Angela Wang is a bundle of talent but spends more time on her butt than on one leg. Is there anyone else?

No. 3 is Ashley's to lose at least for the near future, again unless Mirai or Courtney skate well constantly and consistently and that's a big ask.
    ^ Perhaps, but it's near impossible to predict what will happen in 2 years, let alone 4. The contenders for 2018 may very well still be in Novices or lower. For example, where did Edmunds come from? Almost no one mentioned her as a contender in the pre-Olympic talk last year.

Wagner could probably look to Kostner as a model as she moves forward. Third time was the charm for the latter.

vCash
    ^ Perhaps, but it's near impossible to predict what will happen in 2 years, let alone 4. The contenders for 2018 may very well still be in Novices or lower. For example, where did Edmunds come from? Almost no one mentioned her as a contender in the pre-Olympic talk last year.

Wagner could probably look to Kostner as a model as she moves forward. Third time was the charm for the latter.
    Not a bad idea as long as it includes upping her skating ability.
    Carolina is so great she could actually downgrade her tech and still win major medals.

I don't think that is possible for Ashley. She would be better served looking for a role model like Adelina who showed great clutch skating under the really bright lights is what matters.

vCash
    I was referring more to the age bracket TBH - taking Kostner 12 years to finally get that elusive Olympic medal at 27. Wagner has been on the scene for the better part of a decade with no world or Olympic medal. She has almost everything else though except a GPF win.

As it is, there's still Worlds in a month. She (Wagner) COULD be in the mix for a medal if enough of the top contenders skip out on it. Still feel her best chance for a world medal was in 2012 though.
    Last edited by RD; 02-23-2014 at 09:08 PM.

vCash
    I was referring more to the age bracket TBH - taking Kostner 12 years to finally get that elusive Olympic medal at 27. Wagner has been on the scene for the better part of a decade with no world or Olympic medal. She has almost everything else though except a GPF win.

As it is, there's still Worlds in a month. She (Wagner) COULD be in the mix for a medal if enough of the top contenders skip out on it. Still feel her best chance for a world medal was in 2012 though.
    I really enjoyed Ashley's LP and think if she nails her 3x3's (in both programs) she has a chance to win a medal.

That is why I mentioned Adelina who showed skating your best under pressure pays off.
    Hope Ashley can do it next month. Who knows, it might even get the monkey off her back and give her the type of career boost I think you were looking for.

vCash
    Actually I think that's what Sochi did - get the "monkey off her back" so to speak. She was on a serious downward trend until now where I think that's the best she has skated in close to two years. Too bad the scores weren't reflective of that, but no way was she (or Gold) going to get any medal in that building that night. The night easily belonged to others.

The hope is that not only would it give her confidence, but fire her up to fix those jumps and spins because seriously, the potential is there in that program. She just cannot afford to botch the 3-3 combo because all the top competitors are nailing theirs.
    Last edited by RD; 02-23-2014 at 09:29 PM.

vCash
    Actually I think that's what Sochi did - get the "monkey off her back" so to speak. She was on a serious downward trend until now where I think that's the best she has skated in close to two years. Too bad the scores weren't reflective of that, but no way was she (or Gold) going to get any medal in that building that night. The night easily belonged to others.

The hope is that not only would it give her confidence, but fire her up to fix those jumps and spins because seriously, the potential is there in that program. She just cannot afford to botch the 3-3 combo because all the top competitors are nailing theirs.
    I hope it got the monkey off her back - but not sure why?
    Coming 4th in the team and 7th in the individual seems to be under achieving. If anything it might light a fire under her and get her ready to have "a skate of her life" at Worlds.

It's there, somewhere, and I believe she can do it.

The question which even Rafael seemed to doubt at Natls, is does Ashley believe it?

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Ashley knows what needs to be done. Clean, rotated landings. She has the capability of working hard to achieve this goal but it may take a while.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Even so, I'm surprised we've seen the improvements we have this season. If you told me even a year ago that Ashley would be getting credit for 3/3 at international competition, I would have Looking forward to seeing if she can step it up next season.

Page 35 of 45 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast