Page 23 of 45 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    Jeremy in geek glasses! Go Team USA!!!
    He looks like Buddy Holly in that picture. Nice article, and I loved the photo of Ashley.

vCash
    My god, this girl is talking about getting to the podium in Sochi, as if she has any chance. She's delusional.

vCash
    ^ It's not impossible, but she will have to be at her VERY best, that's for sure.

vCash
    Ashley dug herself a little bit of a hole at Nationals - I think the full power of the USFSA is now behind Gracie Gold. They were looking for the opportunity to anoint her #1 and w/ her new National title + amazing skating skills enhanced by FC, they have their gal.

But a podium finish for Ashley in Sochi is doable because international judges have no reason not to continue to hold her in high regard … returning to S & D is a good step. However, a podium finish is only doable if she is at her very best

vCash
    ^^ I think the full power of the USFS was going to be behind Gracie in any event. Ashley didn't dig the hole by herself. But yeah, she shouldn't have made it so easy for USFS to put that huge distance in marks between her and Gracie. Whatever, USFS crowned who they desired, and Gracie was prepared to shine.

Certainly, if Ashley is able to throw nerves and caution aside to perform her best at the Olympics, she should be in good stead, but Gracie is going into the Games anointed as the premier U.S. lady. Of coure, Gracie has to continue to shine to have a chance against the favorites, politics being what it is in figure skating.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    Ashley dug herself a little bit of a hole at Nationals - I think the full power of the USFSA is now behind Gracie Gold. They were looking for the opportunity to anoint her #1 and w/ her new National title + amazing skating skills enhanced by FC, they have their gal.

But a podium finish for Ashley in Sochi is doable because international judges have no reason not to continue to hold her in high regard … returning to S & D is a good step. However, a podium finish is only doable if she is at her very best
    IMO, it would be good for Ashley not to consider herself a medal contender and just be an underdog that she is. For her to medal, she'd need multiple serious meltdowns from the top ladies while Ashley herself excels. Not impossible but unlikely IMO. All I want is for her to put down two performances that would make her proud and would erase the bitter taste left after Nats. These should be the goals, not the medals.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    IMO, it would be good for Ashley not to consider herself a medal contender and just be an underdog that she is. For her to medal, she'd need multiple serious meltdowns from the top ladies while Ashley herself excels. Not impossible but unlikely IMO. All I want is for her to put down two performances that would make her proud and would erase the bitter taste left after Nats. These should be the goals, not the medals.
    Which top contenders though? Carolina hasn't really been skating up to par with her last 3 seasons. There's Julia who's setting herself up for a medal in Sochi. Maybe Adelina (though Ashley has beaten her in competition this year even though Ashley had flaws in her LP and Adelina skated pretty much perfectly). And Kanako. Gracie could be added to that mix, but I do have doubts whether Gracie can copy those same Nationals performances on Olympic ice. Gracie might have peaked. I think Ashley is still in the medal hunt and she should have higher PCS than any of the other 4 (besides Carolina).

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Asada and Kim, for one. That's likely but of course, not certainly, 2 medals gone right there. There's also Suzuki who under right circumstances could sneak in. Possibly Gold if she repeats her Nationals' performances. I didn't include Kanako or Carolina who is injured and is not skating her best right now. These are the women who historically placed ahead of Wagner. Not sure about Adelina but she too could come out ahead of Ashley if she skates clean. So far, head to head, Ashley beat Adelina. Definitely Julia, the new European champ and a realistic threat for a medal.

Again, us fans can speculate and worry about all these different scenarios but I hope Ashley is not and is just concentrating on skating the best she can and doing her job. I am not that concerned with placement right now, just want to see Ashley's best effort.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    I hope the interval weeks between US Nats and the Olympics help Ashley to be free from the boot issues. Did she change her boots and blades, or just boots?

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I read here that it was boots that were new, no mention of the blades.

from Speedy Death

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    Ads during the events!! Horrors! US Figure Skating trying to make some make some much needed !

Ad deals went to the most prominent and high-achieving athletes in the US. Deal with it.
    I don't think you understand what B.Cooper is saying. As if there aren't enough ads already, now we have additional ads that are not only distracting, but that reek of favoritism, as if the team has already been chosen. If the team is already chosen, based on body of work, why have the championships? The reason must be to sell more ads.

vCash
    I read here that it was boots that were new, no mention of the blades.
    Ah, so it's easier for her to get used to the new boots than boots/blades, actually new blades take much longer to get used to. IIRC she was wonderful in the official practice a couple of days before SP. So I'm optimistic about her bumping up after Nats. If she skates in team events, it's even possible for her to win an Olympic medal which is a very big achievement considering she was left at home a quad ago. And I wish so.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leafygreens View Post
    I don't think you understand what B.Cooper is saying. As if there aren't enough ads already, now we have additional ads that are not only distracting, but that reek of favoritism, as if the team has already been chosen. If the team is already chosen, based on body of work, why have the championships? The reason must be to sell more ads.
    You're a genius for recognizing the U.S. as a capitalist country. In other news, the sky is blue and water is wet.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Siouxs View Post
    You're a genius for recognizing the U.S. as a capitalist country. In other news, the sky is blue and water is wet.
    This post just made my day.

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Asada and Kim, for one. That's likely but of course, not certainly, 2 medals gone right there. There's also Suzuki who under right circumstances could sneak in. Possibly Gold if she repeats her Nationals' performances. I didn't include Kanako or Carolina who is injured and is not skating her best right now. These are the women who historically placed ahead of Wagner. Not sure about Adelina but she too could come out ahead of Ashley if she skates clean. So far, head to head, Ashley beat Adelina. Definitely Julia, the new European champ and a realistic threat for a medal.

Again, us fans can speculate and worry about all these different scenarios but I hope Ashley is not and is just concentrating on skating the best she can and doing her job. I am not that concerned with placement right now, just want to see Ashley's best effort.
    Oh yeah, I can't believe I forgot about Akiko... Either way, I think the bronze is up for grabs between any of the ladies (reminds me of Nagano). Mao and Yuna should go 1-2 in any order.

vCash
    I agree with most that Yuna and Mao are clearly the front runners. Let us also keep in mind Ashley has beat Mao before even if it hasn't been often. After them I think Julia is setting herself up well. Besides those three no one has done enough internationally to separate themselves from the rest besides Carolina and she seems to be skating past her prime. Ashley has just as much of a shot as every other lady mentioned by others. 1-2 are likely out of reach but 3-10 or even 12 could be anyone. This is a tight field with many ladies of similar ability. Ashley has always fallen into this group but it isn't a bad one to be in. I personally always thought it was a long shot to win a medal but its the same for a bunch of other strong skaters as well.

vCash
    Ashley looks fantastic in her new Hilton TV ad!
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_E View Post
    I agree with most that Yuna and Mao are clearly the front runners. Let us also keep in mind Ashley has beat Mao before even if it hasn't been often. After them I think Julia is setting herself up well. Besides those three no one has done enough internationally to separate themselves from the rest besides Carolina and she seems to be skating past her prime. Ashley has just as much of a shot as every other lady mentioned by others. 1-2 are likely out of reach but 3-10 or even 12 could be anyone. This is a tight field with many ladies of similar ability. Ashley has always fallen into this group but it isn't a bad one to be in. I personally always thought it was a long shot to win a medal but its the same for a bunch of other strong skaters as well.
    +1. As much as I would love Akiko to be on that podium in Sochi, I don't know if she can recreate those same Japanese nationals performances at the Olympics. She might have peaked at Japanese nationals... After all, she was foot perfect there.

vCash
    Twitter:

U.S. Figure Skating ‏@USFigureSkating 12m
    NEWS: Ashley Wagner changes free skate for the Olympics to Samson and Delilah, which she used last season.
    EDIT:

Helene Elliott ‏@helenenothelen 43m
    Figure skater Ashley Wagner will go back to last season's "Samson and Delilah" but freshened so she can be "fierce" and "gutsy,"
    Last edited by dardar1126; 01-21-2014 at 11:50 PM.

vCash
    Thanks for the official-official confirmation.

Page 23 of 45 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast