Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 35
  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    46
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0

    Best skaters of last 15 years

    How would you rank the top 5 skaters of the last 15 years in each category. Mine would be.

    Pairs

    1. Volosozhar & Trankov
    2. Berezhnaya & Sikharulidze
    3. Shen & Zhao
    4. Savchenko & Szolkowy
    5. Totmianina & Marinin

    Men

    1. Yagudin
    2. Plushy
    3. Lambiel
    4. Takahashi
    5. Hanyu and Chan (tied)

    Dance

    1. Grischuk & Platov
    2. Davis & White
    3. Virtue & Moir
    4. Anissina & Peizerat
    5. Denkova & Stayviski

    Ladies:

    1. Asada (watch the Yu Na bots go nuts)
    2. Kim
    3. Kwan
    4. Slutskaya
    5. Lipinski or Arakawa or Cohen (3 way tie)

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    250
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Grishuk and Platov stopped competing in 1998, It was more than 15 years ago.

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    46
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by coraczek View Post
    Grishuk and Platov stopped competing in 1998, It was more than 15 years ago.
    Good point. I guess I am thinking of the 98 to now period so I should have made it 16 years. I guess if we have to leave out Tara and G&P though:

    Dance:

    1. Anissina & Peizerat (just dont feel comfortable putting D&W or V&M on top)
    2. Davis & White
    3. Virtue & Moir
    4. Denkova & Stayviski
    5. Delobel & Schoenfelder


    Ladies:

    same except make it Kostner, Arakawa, or Cohen for 5th.

  4. #4
    Fetalized since 1998
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Waving my Adam banner
    Posts
    2,593
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    34624
    Quote Originally Posted by coraczek View Post
    Grishuk and Platov stopped competing in 1998, It was more than 15 years ago.
    So did Tara.

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    46
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanette View Post
    So did Tara.
    Wasnt Tara a dominant pro skater until around 2001. Pro competitions that is, which still existed then.

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Olympik Voids!
    Age
    30
    Posts
    8,998
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    And those screams still haunt me as if it were yesterday.

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    139
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Pairs: 1. V&Trankov, 2. S&Szolkowy, 3. T&Marinin, 4. Berezhnaya&S, 5. Shen&Zhao
    Men: 1. Plushenko, 2. Lambiel, 3. Takahashi. 4. Yagudin, 5. Chan
    Dance: 1. Virtue & Moir, 2. Virtue & Moir, 3. Virtue & Moir, 4. Davis & White. 5. Anissina & Peizerat
    Ladies: 1. Kim, 2. Slutskaya, 3. Kwan, 4. Cohen, 5. overrated Asada

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Jersey, Channel Islands
    Age
    34
    Posts
    9,137
    vCash
    925
    Rep Power
    1378
    Pairs: 1)Savchenko/Szolkowy 2)Totmianina/Marinin 3) Volosozhar/Trankov 4) Pang/Tong 5)Shen/Zhao
    Dance: 1)Anissina/Peizerat 2)Virtue/Moir 3)Bourne/Kraatz 4)Navka/Kostomarov (just for her really) 5)Drobiazko/Vanagas
    Ladies: 1)Kim 2)Slutskaya 3)Lipnitskaya 4)Asada 5)Cohen
    Men: 1)Yagudin 2)Takahashi 3)Plush 4)Joubert 5)Hanyu

    Mine are all 'at their peak' votes rather than overall I guess.
    “What’s on the revengenda this evening?” – Nolan Ross

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    23
    Posts
    13,257
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by miffy View Post
    Pairs: 1)Savchenko/Szolkowy 2)Totmianina/Marinin 3) Volosozhar/Trankov 4) Pang/Tong 5)Shen/Zhao
    Dance: 1)Anissina/Peizerat 2)Virtue/Moir 3)Bourne/Kraatz 4)Navka/Kostomarov (just for her really) 5)Drobiazko/Vanagas
    Ladies: 1)Kim 2)Slutskaya 3)Lipnitskaya 4)Asada 5)Cohen
    Men: 1)Yagudin 2)Takahashi 3)Plush 4)Joubert 5)Hanyu

    Mine are all 'at their peak' votes rather than overall I guess.
    Everyone at their peak Joubert would never beat skaters like Chan or Lambiel. I doubt he would even be top 10 in that proposed scenario, unless you mean pure enjoyment value in which case you can put him anywhere you want.

    Lipnitskaya 3rd and Kwan out of the top 5? I am guessing you must mean personal preference rather than competitive chances. Although I guess a peak Lipnitskaya might beat a peak Kwan under IJS, but a peak Kwan under 6.0 is far more formidable than Julia thus far under either system.

  10. #10
    Fetalized since 1998
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Waving my Adam banner
    Posts
    2,593
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    34624
    Quote Originally Posted by scottieschamp View Post
    Wasnt Tara a dominant pro skater until around 2001. Pro competitions that is, which still existed then.
    I assumed that we were speaking of eligible competitions. Since you brought up pro competitions, did Tara ever compete against Kristi? Did she ever beat her?

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,943
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Pair:
    Berezhnaya-Sikharulidze, Volo-Trankov, Shen-Zhao, Savchenko-Szolkowy ,Totmianina-Marinin
    Ladies:
    Kim, Kwan,Asada, Kostner,Slutskaya
    Dance:
    Anissina-Peizerat, , Virtue Moir, Davis-White, Navka-Kostomarov,Pechalat-Burzat
    Men:
    Plushenko, Chan, Hanyu, Yagudin, Takahashi
    Last edited by lala; 05-28-2014 at 01:00 PM.

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    86
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Since the thread title is best skaters, not best competitors:

    Pairs

    1. Voloszhar & Trankov, 2. Berezhnaya & Sikharulidze, 3. Shen & Zhao, 4. Savchenko & Szolkowy, 5. anyone but Totmianina & Marinin or Sale & Pelletier

    Men

    1. Lambiel, 2. Takahashi, 3. Chan, 4. Hanyu (probably 1st by end of career), 5. Yagudin

    Ladies

    1. Nikodinov, 2. Cohen, 3. Kim and Asada (tied), 5. Kwan

    Dance

    1. Davis & White and Virtue & Moir, who cares about rest

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    32
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by scottieschamp View Post
    How would you rank the top 5 skaters of the last 15 years in each category. Mine would be.

    Pairs

    1. Volosozhar & Trankov
    2. Berezhnaya & Sikharulidze
    3. Shen & Zhao
    4. Savchenko & Szolkowy
    5. Totmianina & Marinin

    Men

    1. Yagudin
    2. Plushy
    3. Lambiel
    4. Takahashi
    5. Hanyu and Chan (tied)

    Dance

    1. Grischuk & Platov
    2. Davis & White
    3. Virtue & Moir
    4. Anissina & Peizerat
    5. Denkova & Stayviski

    Ladies:

    1. Asada (watch the Yu Na bots go nuts)
    2. Kim
    3. Kwan
    4. Slutskaya
    5. Lipinski or Arakawa or Cohen (3 way tie)
    Are you giving extra weight to skaters who have dominated the last 2 quads? If so, I think this list is mostly fair. I would put D/W over G/P in the dance category, and select Cohen over Lipinski and Arakawa (even with Arakawa's OGM). I'm on the fence about Plushenko and Yagudin.

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    86
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Cohen is a better skater than Tara easily. Tara was just the better competitor. Had Cohen's Tara's competitive nerve she would probably have won almost every world and Olympic title between 2002-2006. Tara was even able to beat Michelle Kwan many times by being the stronger competitor, when Michelle is one of the strongest competitors in history which just shows how tough she is, in stark contrast to nervy Sasha Splat.

    Arakawa as a competitor is overrated. She is even more inconsistent than Cohen in general, but she was good at peaking at a random moment and her timing worked perfectly. Comparing her to Cohen is hard as they are such different skaters with different strengths, but she too is a much better skater than Tara.

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Age
    57
    Posts
    241
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by frillit View Post
    Cohen is a better skater than Tara easily. Tara was just the better competitor. Had Cohen's Tara's competitive nerve she would probably have won almost every world and Olympic title between 2002-2006. Tara was even able to beat Michelle Kwan many times by being the stronger competitor, when Michelle is one of the strongest competitors in history which just shows how tough she is, in stark contrast to nervy Sasha Splat.

    Arakawa as a competitor is overrated. She is even more inconsistent than Cohen in general, but she was good at peaking at a random moment and her timing worked perfectly. Comparing her to Cohen is hard as they are such different skaters with different strengths, but she too is a much better skater than Tara.
    I compare Tara with Plushenko when their main rivals were #1 in the judges' hearts and minds; Kwan and Yagudin respectively! The thing is TL and EP were superior jumpers and when they hit all their elements, it put amazing pressure on the leaders! At a couple major events, it made all the difference! Technically each only had one year of superior performances over their top rivals; Tara in '97 through '98 Olympics and Evgeny 2000-01 Worlds! After that Tara retired and Alexei broke down and left amateur skating! Loved Evgeny, but Alexei ate his lunch artistically as evidenced by his lone win over Plushenko at 2000 Japan Int'l where artistic prowess wins the day with limited jumping! JMHO and interpretation of what I remember of that era!

  16. #16
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,943
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiero425 View Post
    Loved Evgeny, but Alexei ate his lunch artistically as evidenced by his lone win over Plushenko at 2000 Japan Int'l where artistic prowess wins the day with limited jumping! JMHO and interpretation of what I remember of that era!
    If I right remember Plushy beat Yagudin everywhere in 2000 except in WCH. Which Japanese international was it?

    Do you know these facts?

    Yagudin has around 20 perfect 6.0 scores. Plushenko, even without the 6.0 in Rus Nat, is around 40. He has around 70 6.0s in total. I think this is a great record! Who has more 6.0 in FS history ? I'm really curious. Do you know Michelle Kwan has 57 6.0 scores, she received 35 in US Nat? So Plushy has more 6.0s despite the facts Michelle has a longer career than Plu under 6.0 system.

    Who is more artistry? That is so subjective. But the facts are facts. Who can explain me why these facts aren't well known informations on FSU?

    I'm expecting a sensible explanation.
    Last edited by lala; 05-29-2014 at 04:42 PM.

  17. #17
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Age
    57
    Posts
    241
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by lala View Post
    If I right remember Plushy beat Yagudin everywhere in 2000 except in WCH. Which Japanese international was it?

    Do you know these facts?

    Yagudin has around 20 perfect 6.0 scores. Plushenko, even without the 6.0 in Rus Nat, is around 40. He has around 70 6.0s in total. I think this is a great record! Who has more 6.0 in FS history ? I'm really curious. Do you know Michelle Kwan has 57 6.0 scores, she received 35 in US Nat? So Plushy has more 6.0s despite the facts Michelle has a longer career than Plu under 6.0 system.

    Who is more artistry? That is so subjective. But the facts are facts. Who can explain me why these facts aren't well known informations on FSU?

    I'm expecting a sensible explanation.
    That WC was the year before I mentioned Plushy's dominance! The Japan Open I'm thinking of had Alexei performing "Gladiator!" Racking up gratuitous 6.0 scores doesn't impress me; never has! It's all subjective and takes into consideration where the skater performed; early or late! Yagudin skating last at Olympics in SLC allowed the judges to go nuts with ridiculously high scores when no one was close to beating him! "Winter" and "MITIM" were classic and I appreciate Alexei's efforts, but he came on late to take those last 4 major gold medals when it appeared Evgeny had had his number the previous season; 2001 GPF, '02 Europeans, SLC Olympics & '02 Worlds!

  18. #18
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,943
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiero425 View Post
    That WC was the year before I mentioned Plushy's dominance! The Japan Open I'm thinking of had Alexei performing "Gladiator!" Racking up gratuitous 6.0 scores doesn't impress me; never has! It's all subjective and takes into consideration where the skater performed; early or late! Yagudin skating last at Olympics in SLC allowed the judges to go nuts with ridiculously high scores when no one was close to beating him! "Winter" and "MITIM" were classic and I appreciate Alexei's efforts, but he came on late to take those last 4 major gold medals when it appeared Evgeny had had his number the previous season; 2001 GPF, '02 Europeans, SLC Olympics & '02 Worlds!
    I don't remember they didn't meet with each other in Japan Open I think. They met in GPF and Plushenko beat Yagudin. They skated Sp and two LPs. Yagudin's programs were Lawrence of Arabia and Gladiator and Plushenko's programs were Gipsy Dance and Once upon a time in America.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqlNAgbYyIk 2001 GPF Kiss and Cry, Plushenko & Yagudin - great memory!

  19. #19
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    91
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Men- 1. Chan (by far), 2. Yagudin, 3. Plushenko (based on medals only), 4. Lambiel, 5. Takahashi (based on skating only)
    Ladies- 1. Kwan, 2. Asada, 3. Kim (based on medals only, since skating ugh), 4. Slutskaya (again based on medals only), 5. Kostner (based on skating only)
    Pairs- 1. Shen & Zhao, 2. dont care about rest

  20. #20

    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    24,950
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    91872
    Men- Plushenko, Yagudin, Chan, Takahashi, Lambiel
    Ladies- Kwan, Asada, Kim, Slutskaya, Arakawa
    Pairs- Berezhnaya-Sikharulidze, Totmianina-Marinin, Volosozhar-Trankov, Shen & Zhao, Savchenko-Szolkowy
    Ice dance- David & White, Virtue & Moir, Anissina-Peizerat, Navka-Kostomarov, Denkova-Staviyski

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •