Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    I don't think calling someone a girl is in the same category. But like many terms, if it's said with hate or condescension or prejudice then it's not good; if it's said with respect and good intention, then I don't see the problem. I've never met a woman who has a problem with being referred to as a girl unless it's by some old fashioned male boss who thinks all females belong in the secretarial pool. In fact, I think a lot of women are flattered when called a girl.
    That's not the point. We don't get to decide for other people what is and what is not offensive and/or hurtful. If our words have a negative impact on others, especially when there are other words which are just as easy to use, why would we not stop using words that hurt others?
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    I don't think calling someone a girl is in the same category. But like many terms, if it's said with hate or condescension or prejudice then it's not good; if it's said with respect and good intention, then I don't see the problem. I've never met a woman who has a problem with being referred to as a girl unless it's by some old fashioned male boss who thinks all females belong in the secretarial pool. In fact, I think a lot of women are flattered when called a girl.
    This. I probably didn't express myself very well before and I didn't mean to imply that words/names people use never words matter. But I've rarely seen a situation where "girls" appears to be intended to be derogatory and the only time I was offended by someone using it was in a situation much like Jenny described where a CRA auditor who told me he would be nice to me because I'm a young girl and even then, it wasn't the term he used, it was more the condescension he displayed. When it comes to Survivor, as I said above, I think that Jeff is absolutely a sexist, I just think that referring to women as girls is not a good example of his sexism.

And I use guys all the time to refer to co-ed groups or even to all female-groups. I probably shouldn't be surprised that the PC-police have a problem with that, but seriously?

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    That's not the point. We don't get to decide for other people what is and what is not offensive and/or hurtful. If our words have a negative impact on others, especially when there are other words which are just as easy to use, why would we not stop using words that hurt others?
    I definitely see what you are saying, but if we had to stop using a word or phrase every time someone was offended, there might be little left to say. There are words and phrases I don't like and therefore don't use, but I can't expect everyone to stop using them when I'm the only one (or at least one of a very few) that has a problem with it.

As with other discussions on this topic, I think context and intention are key. Most words and phrases have different connotations depending on who says them, the context they are said, the intention of the speaker, the people who are being spoken to, and the people within earshot. Apparently there are instances when the n world and the f word for gay men are entirely acceptable for example.

Back to the original point - girls - I grew up a time when the word woman was loaded with all kinds of political and sociological issues. Sure, it's the right word in many instances and I use it all the time - but never when referring to myself, because I don't think of myself in that context. To me, girl is not limited to females of a certain age - my female relatives in their 70s also refer to themselves and their friends as girls, generally using woman in the broader context.

I don't know who's got a problem with girls, but my bet is their issue is primarily with who is saying it in what context and with what intention - not the word itself. Oxford provides some insight:

girl n. 1. a female child. 2. a young or relatively young woman. (girls) informal women who mix socially or belong to a group; a person's girlfriend. 3. dated a female servant.
    Last edited by Jenny; 10-17-2013 at 08:54 PM.

vCash
    I thought for sure Vytas was a goner but lucky for him (1) Kat has a big mouth and (2) Tina wants him to father her grandbabies so he gets to stick around.

Next week looks like its more of the Vytas show. I guess with Brad gone bye bye, he's the new favorite of the editors. And Probst.

vCash
    Tina should have been gone. She messed up twice in the challenge ~ not bringing the thing from the water and then messing up the puzzle several times. Now she was only 1 of two to do both those things but the clincher should be she is now also on a tribe with her daughter.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Although Kat is annoying, I agree that there was way more reason to get rid of Tina or Vytas. The upside is I got the two best laughs of the season so far - Kat spelling Vytas as some odd combo of Venus and fetus, and her cry at the end, "who wants to date someone who doesn't even make it to the merge?!!"

They gave us the loved ones spilling the beans to the returnees on the other tribe, but I was interested in what would have been the conversation with Tina and Katie - Katie is supertight with Ciera, but given that Tina just blindsided her mother, one wonders how that will shake out. In a way the producers wrecked an interesting dynamic by not switching things up earlier or merging, because now the family ties are not a factor for half of them so we don't get any blood vs water moral struggling.

In my own little fantasy world where life is perfect for me!
    vCash
    I'm just glad Brad is gone.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    eys, I noted that after my ranting last week about how they overthought that plan, it actually worked out perfectly - Laura M beat Brad and got him out of the game, exactly as they wanted. However, they thought it would make Monica more loyal, but since their group of 5 is now split that's not really a factor, and at this point at least, Laura M looks likely to return to the game, and she ain't happy!

vCash
    Although Kat is annoying, I agree that there was way more reason to get rid of Tina or Vytas. The upside is I got the two best laughs of the season so far - Kat spelling Vytas as some odd combo of Venus and fetus, and her cry at the end, "who wants to date someone who doesn't even make it to the merge?!!"

I still don't know why Tina's name never came up so that must show how well she's playing the social game this time around. Or the rest of the tribe is really not thinking about her being a pair with Katie which isn't very smart.

I loved Kat's spelling of Vytas too! That was indeed hysterical! Poor Kat, she's not too bright.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Seeing her high schoolish reaction makes me think she did indeed blab when she got home - for those who don't watch Big Brother, one of the players (Elissa) this summer was the sister of a former player (Rachel) who recently got married, and Hayden and Kat were at the wedding. She said Kat goes early - and while it's not that early, it's second from her tribe and pre merge, so I could see her whining about it to Hayden's friends.

Hayden's alleged result, for those who like to spoil -

Spoiler

Survivor fans were PISSED at Elissa spoiling like that on the live feeds - she said it several times over the summer - and many wondered how the producers felt about it given that Elissa and Rachel are CBS darlings (Rachel was on BB several times, and the Amazing Race) and Hayden is another of their "stars" (BB winner and first BB player to also play Survivor).

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    funny how, after all the Culpepper adoration from Jeff, Brad's departure was pretty low key. No more Brad show! And Laura M is a total brick (that's a compliment). How is it that her daughter is SO terrible at...everything ?!? Even if Laura figured out why her tribe turned on her, it's not like she would want to throw the challenge, but that was great. That was kind of a silly challenge, though, at least compares to some of the others they've had at RI this season.

The tribe switch - well, something had to be done to help those poor loved ones! Tyson is way overplaying - but it seems to be working, for now. He's right about targeting Aras, but wouldn't it be smarter to start by targeting one of the loved ones first - either Ciera because she's the odd woman out (literally) and would likely be loyal - or take out Hayden because he's the biggest competitor - so that the returning players have the upper hand? I have no problem believing that Ciera and Mr Colton would later flip to vote out Aras if it mean saving their own skins. And the completely Russell-ian strategy of eating all the food and generally being a jerk, well, we'll see how long that works

Oh, lordy, Tina continues to be the master. HOW did she escape this week with nary a thought to voting her out, after the epic fail on the swimming leg, the panicked fail on the puzzle, and having her loved on join her tribe (and Tina being pretty open about how awesome that is)? AND she's a previous winner!! I don't think Tina will win this season, but I would love for it to happen - if only because it would seriously fcuk with Jeff to have the only 2-time winners be women

Nothing can ever top the way Kat went out the first time, but nice to see she reacts just as badly when she knows she's a target as when she has no clue. I figured she was leaving, since I had seen the spoiler, and she's been pretty much a non-entity this season. I was surprised that Vytas didn't point to his strength being a necessity to win challenges as a reason to keep him, but the way he played the loyalty card in TC was pretty brilliant. If Tina can't win, I want it to be him.

Monica is already more interesting without Brad in the game. Or at least the editors are giving us a better edit.
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    If Kat did indeed go around babbling about ratting out the laldies as much as editing says, and then lied about it , then I'm not surprised the ladies turned on her. A lot of the game is about trust and once broken, it's really hard to win back. But I didn't care for her so I don't really care if she comes back from RI or not. I knew as soon as Jeff said "Balance beam" that the guys would have trouble with it. The guys always have trouble with balance beams (yay for girls' gymnastics classes!) and in a mixed-gender challenge it's nice to have one that doesn't depend upon physical strength.

I like Tina and was surprised that she screwed up so badly. I also was surprised at how much I liked Vytas and how he was handling being pitched into a bonded group of women. He was lucky that Kat shot herself in the foot. Hopefully it will give him enough time to make a place for himself in the tribe - and for the other bunch to boot out Aras. The guys there were incredibly stupid about the food, btw. I hope that comes back to whack them in the heads.
    I'd rather be thought of as absolutely ridiculous than as absolutely boring.

vCash
    Tyson just cracked me up. But I hope he does not get too cocky.
    Aras is ok, but I am so crushing on Aras. And I totally agree - why are they keeping Tina around?
    I am glad Kat is gone, something about her annoys me, and her comment about her boyfriend dropping her for not making it to the merge - what kind of relationship do you think you have?
    Glad Brad is gone, but seem so anti-climatic.
    Right now I am rooting for Vytas, Tyson, Tina (& by association Katie).
    I want gone: Laura B, Monica, John (surgeon)
    Intrigued by: Laura M
    Don't care: Ciera, Aras, Hayden (he does seem very involved) and anybody else I can not remember
    To me last nights episode was not bad, but paled to the previous episodes.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Agree that Brad's departure was anti-climatic - but that's RI for you. So different than a TC leading to a blindside vote, Jeff snuffing the torch and the loser wandering off into the darkness without even a chance for word. Instead now we get hugs and final thoughts in broad daylight; just not as dramatic.

vCash
    I think this is where Tyson lost it. Who could win then ? Tell me it won't be Monica. Brrrrrrrrrrrrr.
    poths Void: MarieM carries a rusty old blade in her handbag!

vCash
    my typing is bad, I am crushing on Vytas!!!
    MarieM -Monica will not win, Monica will not win

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    If you were playing, what importance would you place on those who have already won (and those who are the loved one of someone who has won)? With one exception, everyone who is gone has been a non-winner. (Rupert is the only one who won who is gone.) Those remaining:

Tina (and Katie)
    Aras (and Vytas)
    Laura B. (Rupert's wife), and if we include winning half a million on Big Brother, then
    Hayde (and Kat)

I think two of the stupidest casts that have ever existed were the casts that let Sandra win a second time and the cast that let Rob win after his spouse Amber had won previously.
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    PeterG - for the record, Rupert didn't win the game. He won fan favorite.

vCash
    But he won a million at the time.
    I crush on Vytas and Aras too. But they won't win
    Tyson was a good second option. Or Hayden.
    poths Void: MarieM carries a rusty old blade in her handbag!

vCash
    If it comes down to Vytas vs Aras, I hope Aras wins again. How many episodes do we have to hear Vytas whining about not being the golden child? I know he was *trying* to sound vulnerable, but still their back-story is retold every week. The only response I have when I hear it is: it was 14 years ago, almost half their lives ago, move on (which I assume, in real life, they have).

Plus I feel bad for Aras that the other half of his bromance is secretly sabotaging him behind his back. I hope Tyson fails at his evil plan.

Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast