Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    My dresser my mom got me when I was 15, first time I got furniture that wasn't heavy, old stuff. It was in the 1970's "camp style" and so it was cool. Now it's 42 years old.

It has served both my stepdaughters, my stepson and my daughter. It's been repainted six times, at the moment it's purple. Since my daughter didn't take it with her when she moved I said I was going to give it away; and my daughter said, but mom, it's our heirloom!

"Youth and vigor is no match for age and deceit." -- Prancer

vCash
    Toys and stuffed animals lasting in my house growing up??

What I've owned for the longest are my 79 high school ring and 1980 fraternity membership gold pin. I also still have one of my fraternity paddles.

vCash
    A now furrless, tailless, stuffed cat named Meow I received on my 3rd birthday. I have a vivid memory, maybe my earliest, of my granddad coming up behind me and nuzzling me with Meow. I remember squealing when he did that. Meow will eventually be cremated or buried with me.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    I was class of 1979, too!
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

Loving on babies!
    vCash
    I had a stuffed lion named Elsa (of course) from the day I was born; she was tragically lost in a hotel during a vacation about 10 years ago. I do still have a stuffed alligator, that was signed by most of my father's side of the family, that is from when I was about 4 or 5, so over 40 years ago.
    I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally.~W. C. Fields

vCash
    I have a quilt that my great-grandmother gave me when I was 6. It's made out of pieces of her old dresses and in one block there is a message that says These dresses always kept me warm, I hope they do the same for you love, Nana Grace. It's not only my oldest possession, but it's also my most treasured.

On a less sentimental note. A few weeks ago, I found some stuff from my elementary/middle school years. One item was a mixed tape my 5th grade boyfriend gave me. Our dates consisted of school dances and hanging out at the park across the street from my house. I gave the tape a listen and had to laugh at the fact that we considered "Water Runs Dry" and "On Bended Knee", both songs about a failing relationship, to be romantic songs. I guess that's why we didn't last The tape did, however, give me the urge to download some old Boyz II Men songs.

vCash
    I have my Holly Hobbie doll, a doll cradle, and a dress my grandmother crocheted for me.

in my underground bunker plotting your downfall
    vCash
    I have a clown doll that is probably at least 52 years old that my grandmother made. She made fabric yo-yos for the arms and legs and it has a pointed head with a face embroidered on it. I would stay with my grandparents over the Christmas holiday sometimes. The clown doll was in their spare bedroom, and I never wanted to admit that it scared me. There are so many killer clowns in movies, and I had a fear of clowns.

Twenty or so years ago, a friend and I went to Colorado for a ski trip. My grandparents had both died some years before. We spent our last evening at my aunt and uncle's home before flying home. When my aunt showed us to their guest bedroom, I saw the clown doll. My aunt asked me if I wanted it and handed it to me. I didn't want to tell her that clown dolls scared me so I said thanks and took it home. It sits on my dresser and now I appreciate the work my grandmother put into making it and it no longer seems like a creepy, scary clown.
    When I'm old, I don't want them to say of me, "She's so charming." I want them to say, "Be careful, I think she's armed."
    Fact of Life: After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says W T F

vCash
    I have never been a dog lover, but I have my pink poodle pyjama bag named Doogles. Don't know where he came from but I've had him all my life. Do they still make pyjama bags? He lives on top of the armoir now. I still live in the house I moved to when I was nine, there is a ton of stuff still here, including the gypsy costume my grandmother made for my Mum for Hallowe'en. My sister and I both wore it. And last month I finally threw out my platform shoes I wore in grade nine and ten. They had rotted!

vCash
    I have a brown, black and white stripped blanket (the tiger blanket) that I have probably had since I was about 7-8. Well it was a family blanket but I always thought of it as mine. When I moved out of home I took it with me. So I have probably had it for 40 years. Funny thing is all the family members see it and still comment about it.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    In the amazed this lasted that long category, I have a Clairol lighted makeup mirror that I've had since I was 17. I've used it daily for 40+ years. The on switch is a bit balky, but the thing still works.

I have a pair of Phyllis Poland shoes I got when Loehmanns closed up here. They're 30 something years old, on their 3rd sole replacement, but still look great.

And I still have my baby cup and one china teacup from a set I got when I was 5.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

vCash
    photographs of myself & my friends from our teen years. So 60+ years.

vCash
    My dad was in the military so we moved every 2-3 years, plus there were 6 kids so we had a lot of stuff. My mother made us purge before each move & would ruthlessly give away things that she thought we were through playing with or wearing. So I don't have a lot of stuff from my childhood but I do have my gold baby ring which I wear on a gold chain. The next oldest things are some of my Nancy Drew & Trixie Belden books, my high school yearbooks, and my oldest jewelry is several pieces that I got for high school graduation.

vCash
    Seeing GardenKitty's teddy bear in the yellow and red dress brought back memories of "Ted" my original teddy bear, who somehow mysteriously became "lost" when we moved to a new house when I was in 9th grade. I've always believed that my mother threw him in the trash, as a number of other childhood toys and things never showed up in the new house. I was and over losing Ted. The two things I have owned the longest are my silver baby/toddler fork and spoon and "Fletcher" the Steiff rabbit puppet that my father brought back from a business trip when I was 3 or 4. Dad bringing it in to me, moving in his arms, as I lay half-asleep in bed, is one of my earliest memories. Fletcher is missing his eyes, but otherwise is in remarkably good condition, considering his advanced age.
    Lady 2: there isn't anything about me on goooogle, I mean, I must take it off if there is.....
    Lady 3: The google is a terrible thing, I mean I don't want anything on there! (Overheard by millyskate on a London train.)

vCash
    I too have a darling small stuffed elephant, one of two which my parents bought before I was born. The little elephants were the "children" before the real children came. My sister and I each got one when we were born. Mine has all the fur loved off it and the original pink (I think) is now brownish gray, but he's still very beautiful. He was by far my favorite toy throughout childhood. I made a house for him (bed out of a cigar box with clothes pins on the corners; toilet from a cup and a bandaid box etc.) and clothing too. He used to travel with me in a Nestles Quik box. Now he sits in a beautiful abalone shell, in a cabinet of treasures. I'm 58 and I've had him my whole life. Elephanty, I call him. I'll post a picture if I get a chance.

vCash
    Do scrapbooks count? I have scrapbooks that my Mom kept from the time I was born. A little lock of my baby hair in one. I also have all of the doilies, crocheted wedding sheets, table runners, that my grandmother's mother and aunts made for her in Italy. They are at least 90 years old. I have a gold necklace and a cameo that were my great grandmother's, over 100 years old. The most sentimentally valuable thing I have is a small gold and diamond cross my parents gave me on my 21st birthday. I almost never take it off. I also have my Nancy Drew Books, the oldest one is 1959, I have 1 through 44, with the exception of numbers 8, 26, & 40. I have the lamb shaped vase that my Dad brought to my Mom (in the hospital) when I was born. When my daughter was born, my Mom gave it to my husband and he had flowers put in it and brought it to me - probably one of the sweetest things he's done for me . I will give it to my son-in-law for my daughter when she has her first baby.

vCash
    My mother is from England and was a child during the bombing raids in WWII - she remembers having to run into the nearby Underground station in London as a bomb shelter when the bomb warning sirens went off, and the awful silence between the doodlebug bombs' engines cutting out and the BOOOM when they landed on their target and exploded. And when she got evacuated to her aunt's house in the country, when the children were sent out of London, she remembers being way more scared by the cows than she would have been by any Nazi soldiers

Anyway, during the war she had a pink Steiff-type teddy bear, which was her best friend during all this turmoil and terror. And it got lost either when the children's toys had to be burned because of a disease epidemic like measles or chickenpox, or when the family moved to Canada. She speaks very fondly and sadly of that bear, and often I look on eBay to see if there is a similar one for sale that I could surprise her with....
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    The thing I've owned longest is my christening mug. My oldest possession is a first edition of Byron's Sardanapalus (1821).
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

vCash
    Oh, it warms my black heart to see everyone still has treasured stuffed animals! Most of my friends/family are not so sentimental. I still lurve my Pooh Bear and blankie (he is basically threads at this point). They go on every trip with me. Pooh Bear I believe was from my mother or both my parents, and blankie was made by my godmother.

I also have an old green puppet I called Snakey that my dad used to use to tickle me. That's probably from when I was 1 or 2 - there's photographic evidence, too. Ha! I found a picture ... good ol' ebay (you can't see the little red tongue).

vCash
    Having moved between countries a few times, I developed a minimalist attitude. The oldest items I owned are jewelries and photos.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast