Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

vCash

What have you owned the longest?

I was going to title this thread "Your oldest possessions" but that might be confusing because I'm not referring to the age of the items (e.g., antiques or heirlooms) but the amount of your life you have owned them.

I have a stuffed elephant named Fenwick that my father gave me when I was too young to form memories of receiving it -- probably before age 1. I do remember how he lost one of his eyes 6 or 7 years later though.

I also have a sleeping bag that was purchased for a Girl Scout camping trip when I was 9. It's green outside and the flannel lining was cream-colored flannel with pictures of deer. However a couple days before the camping trip we had it spread out on my bed and our cat decided that was a good place to go into labor, so it had to be laundered and the nice cream-colored lining became dingy green before I ever slept in it.

These days I'm more likely now to use it as a padding to sit on, like a blanket or cushion. It would be a tight fit to get inside. But I had been keeping it in my car trunk in case of cold-weather emergencies.

I used to have a plain green sweatshirt that I bought in 8th grade and continued to wear well into adulthood. Eventually it got too tight and there was a rip between the sleeve and the wrist cuff, so I got rid of it at some point, but it amused me in my 30s to be wearing something I'd had since I was barely a teenager.

vCash
    I have a stuffed bear called Wubby from the age of 3 or 4 who is now a chew toy for my dog Beau.

My mom still has a bear ("Sammy") that was given to her the day I was born....it sits alongside a bunch of other junk on top of her mantle. What she doesn't realize however is that as a child I destroyed the real Sammy during a game of "Mad Scientist" and cleverly replaced him with a similar bear so that she wouldn't be upset...

Aside from that, multiple plastic dinosaurs (most of them are damaged...mad scientist..) and various "micro-machine" type cars.
    Last edited by Dr.Siouxs; 08-21-2013 at 01:01 AM.

vCash
    I got myself several pairs of expensive dress shoes about 25 years ago when I first started working and stil have them in the closet. I so rarely use them that they are all still in great condition but all of the cheap shoes I bought since never lasted very long.

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    Gopher. He has no hands or feet, and has lost most of his fur, but he's still here. Friends of my parents gave him to me for my first birthday, so he's over 47 years old.

vCash
    I have a folder for letters and papers that I must have received some time between the age of six and eight, and I have stuff from when I lived in the US in it - basically it's a time capsule I just opened it for the first time in ages, and found my middle school student ID, let's not discuss what my hair looked like back then . Then there's the Mickey Mouse beach towel that my aunt gave me for my 10th birthday (or 11th, but definitely no later than that). It's faded, but I like it anyway.

My Care Bear, which I got when I was seven, resides at my parents' house.
    Last edited by Zemgirl; 08-20-2013 at 07:35 PM.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash

What have you owned the longest?

This isn't my oldest but my grandmother gave me an Old Navy sweater when I was a senior in high school that I still wear! I can't believe how well it has held up over 10 yrs later.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    Then there's the Mickey Mouse beach towel that my aunt gave me for my 10th birthday (or 11th, but definitely no later than that). It's faded, but I like it anyway.
    Oh, that reminds me, I also still have and use a bath towel with my name embroidered on it, which my aunt gave me (and similar ones for my sisters) when I was in middle school.

vCash
    I save everything so it's hard to figure out what's the oldest. Plus my parents saved everything so there's stuff older than me still in the house.

I think my oldest possession is probably Jonathan, the baby doll my aunt gave my mother for me at my birth. He's up in the attic, though and I haven't looked at him in years. The oldest item that I actually see is Sandy, my Cinnamon Bear that was given to me in my cradle by another aunt. He has a music box in his tummy that played "Rock-a-Bye Baby" but it stopped working about twenty years ago. A lot of his fuzz is worn off and he's pretty fragile but he'sstill close to my heart.

Clothingwise, I still have Halloween costumes from my grade school years packed away. The witch outfit I wore in 2nd grade gets hauled out every year and used as a porch decoration.

When I was cleaning out the basement, I found a box of greeting cards that were sent to my mother on the occassion of my birth. I expect they'll be antiques soon.
    I'd rather be thought of as absolutely ridiculous than as absolutely boring.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    This isn't my oldest but my grandmother gave me an Old Navy sweater when I was a senior in high school that I still wear! I can't believe how well it has held up over 10 yrs later.
    I have some decent looking clothes that are older than that, including a surprisingly-still-cute skirt. I can fit into a lot of old clothes; whether this would be a good idea fashion-wise is another matter

I just realized that one of the things in my little time capsule is a program from an ice show that Paul Wylie autographed. Ha - even my old stuff is skating-related!

Tranquillo
    vCash
    My teddy bear that I got on my first birthday. I don't recall exactly why my mother made him this snazzy yellow and red dress, but he's had that for almost 40 years. He's come with me on my many moves around the country, usually in a special box on the front seat. I have a Raggedy Ann and Andy from my childhood as well, but Teddy was my first and always my fave.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash
    I have a baby blanket and a little dress. I am wearing the dress and sitting on the blanket in my first formal photo, which I think was when I was about six months old. I can't remember exactly when my mum gave them to me, but they've been around me for a *very* long time.
    I also have a knitted toy rabbit that I remember being given on the back porch of the apartment where we lived, while my brother was still in a pram. So I have had the rabbit since I was not quite three years old (my brother is two and a half years younger than me). The funny thing is, I don't remember who gave it to me, even though I can remember it being handed to me and being all excited. I think it was a lady who lived in the same apartment building, and she made it as well.
    Last edited by overedge; 08-20-2013 at 08:59 PM.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    delete, double post
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

Spin Alissa Spin!!!
    vCash
    My parents use to have us paint a glass x-mas ball for the tree every year when we were kids....I still have them. My first one was painted in 1965 when i was 3 years old.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    I have a plaid, pleated skirt that was part of a set that my grandmother bought when I was about three. I lost the sweater somewhere, and my grandmother would end every "You always lose everything" rant with "like you lost that beautiful sweater when you were three."
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    When I saw the title of this thread, the first thought that came to my mind was 'home' but that's for only 19 years. After reading the OP I started thinking about what I owned as a child (or since birth). It will take some time to figure that out.

vCash
    A stuffed alligator that a great-aunt gave me when I was 4.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    I have a baby blanket and a little dress. I am wearing the dress and sitting on the blanket
    Right now, really, they still fit you? (I thought as I read this far in the sentence)

in my first formal photo, which I think was when I was about six months old
    Oh, OK then.

vCash
    This question really got me to think! My silver baby cup. As for possessions that I purchased, that would be clothing that I have had for a few decades My friend's daughter was checking out my closet and pointed to a pair of brocade slacks and said: "Oooooo, I like these! They're so cool!" Brocade slacks are "in" again. Imagine that?!

O-

vCash
    A few things...

I have my grown up dresser, my mom bought for me when I was in 2nd grade. It is my dresser in my bedroom.
    Nancy Drew books, one was my moms she got in 1941 - and she wrote her name it - love that, some my older sister got in the early 1960s.
    Baby picture of my dad in a beautiful frame - always been in this frame, can see in the background in a picture from the early 1930s.

vCash
    An orange stuffed dog. My mom bought him in the hospital gift shop the day she found out she was pregnant with me, he's in most of my baby pictures, has travelled the world with me and now has a spot on my nightstand.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast