Page 5 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaffeine View Post
    I had a dream last night about their SD. In it, they were skating to White Stripe's Blue Orchid. (been listening to a lot of Jack White's music lately so that is probably why ) Now the funny thing is I now put that song on and I could actually see the finnstep fitting into the beat
    Hmm, I'll have to go listen to that. It would be cool if MC used fairly modern music. I Googled "quickstep music" the other day, and to my amusement one of the selections that came up was a piece by Rihanna. It would certainly be one way to really stand out, especially if everyone else is skating to music from the 1930s or 1940s. From what I've seen of the Finnstep SDs so far (from early-season competitions), it seems as though we're going to have a lot of programs that look, sound, and feel alike. An unusual music choice would definitely help MC's program stand out from the crowd.

On a time traveling circus... with ice dancing?
    vCash
    Team to skate to 'My Fair Lady' for short, 'Scheherazade' for free

My Fair Lady!! Oh I cannot WAIT to see that.

http://www.icenetwork.com/news/2013/08/27/58610472

Also, I love this:

In the run-up to the 2010 Vancouver Olympics, Davis and White turned to Indian dance instructor Anuja Rajendra to help lend authenticity to their popular "Bollywood" original dance. To capture the nuances and gestures unique to Persian cultural dance, they are working with Kendra Ray, a Detroit-based instructor and belly dance performer.

"There's a special sparkle that comes with Persian cultural dance," Davis said. "It's kind of the way the women have some mystery about them.

"We want to capture not only the choreography but the essence and style of the dance, so both of us -- and particularly me -- have been working with [Kendra]," Davis continued. "In the minds of some of us in the U.S., it might be hard to distinguish between Middle Eastern, belly and Persian dance, and this has helped us with the Persian dance specialty and cultural context."

vCash
    OMG I'm excited!! Thank god for being alone in my office, doing a little happy dance here
    "Eve was not taken out of Adam's head to top him, neither out of his feet to be trampled by him, but out of his side to be equal with him, under his arm to be protected by him, and near his heart to be loved by him."

vCash
    "They are just the images of Scheherazade; it suits them perfectly," she said. "You can see Meryl playing this part right away. If you imagine any ice dancers in the world skating to this music, you can see Meryl and Charlie would be the best at it."
    Love this bit from Marina.
    "Eve was not taken out of Adam's head to top him, neither out of his feet to be trampled by him, but out of his side to be equal with him, under his arm to be protected by him, and near his heart to be loved by him."

vCash
    Well, the article definitely leaves the impression that people who matter the most are happy with their choice, feel the music and are excited to skate to it. The most important thing is for them to feel confident about their choice. Honestly I was hoping for something more modern and original, but hey, what do I know? If they're happy, I'm happy.

The SD sounds very promising

vCash
    I am so thrilled by their music choices! They sounded so thoughtful in the article- it really sounds like this was carefully considered but also an emotional choice, somewhat, if they've been talking about Scheherazade for so long.

And I cannot WAIT for My Fair Lady. Ugh. Is it September yet? So looking flrward to their best choreography yet!

ETA: I too would love to see them take a more modern route, a la ER, but maybe after the Olympics
    Last edited by lmarie086; 08-27-2013 at 09:34 PM.

vCash
    Kind of disappointed in the choice of Scheherazade, but if anyone can breathe life into it, it's D/W. The SD sounds like it'll be a little piece of magic though.

vCash
    Wow, the Scheherazade rumors are true after all! I'm very excited about this choice, as it's one of my favorite pieces of music. Also, I'm really pleased to hear they've been thinking about this program for two years now. (!!!!) Hopefully it'll be a program that feels like it was crafted with care and not just sort of slapped together.

I was hoping for something a little less mainstream than My Fair Lady for the short, but I'm guessing the quickstep is something that doesn't really lend itself to outside-the-box thinking, and they probably don't want to take any chances in an Olympic year.

That said, I can't WAIT to see these programs, and I'm really glad they're getting early feedback, planning new lifts, etc. Maybe these programs will finally put an end to the complaints that MC "do the same thing all the time" (yeah, hell will freeze over first).

vCash
    Totally agree! Even when I watch their Olympic silver winning performances from Vancouver I can't help but notice how much better they are now. It's incredible. I just wish the VM fans would open up their eyes and see that too.
    Oh, they've noticed. That's why D/W generate more conversation in V/M threads than they do here.

I'm so excited about their music choices. I think both choices are perfect for their style. I can't wait to see what Meryl wears for Scheherazade

vCash
    I'm unenthused about My Fair Lady simply because I feel like every SD since the concept was introduced has featured several My Fair Lady SDs. But, as I said before, I'm sure they will make it special.

And I have ultimate faith in Meryl and Cheryl to make sure she isn't wearing anything hideous for the SD.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by circuscandy View Post
    "We want to capture not only the choreography but the essence and style of the dance, so both of us -- and particularly me -- have been working with [Kendra]," Davis continued. "In the minds of some of us in the U.S., it might be hard to distinguish between Middle Eastern, belly and Persian dance, and this has helped us with the Persian dance specialty and cultural context."
    And this is why I love Meryl. Intelligent attention to detail. I can't wait!

I'm not shocked that they aren't doing anything modern. Once I heard V/M choices I knew they weren't. I think the teams are smart enough to know that the competition is too close for only one of them to take a risk. It would have to be an all or nothing kind of thing.
    Also what I love about the choices is now no fan of either can say the other is repeating music types from the previous Olympic cycle.
    Last edited by Jessiebanana; 08-27-2013 at 10:59 PM.

vCash
    Bollywood 2.0 vs. Mahler 2.0

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kirkbiggestfan View Post
    Bollywood 2.0 vs. Mahler 2.0

Indeed! Just the descriptions of the music and programs make it seem like it's going to be "Scott and Tessa's Smash Hits" vs. "The Very Best of Meryl & Charlie." May the best compilation win!

(Of course, neither team has anything on Plushenko, who apparently IS planning a "Plushy's Greatest Hits" medley for his freeskate).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitneyskates View Post
    Oh, they've noticed. That's why D/W generate more conversation in V/M threads than they do here.

I'm so excited about their music choices. I think both choices are perfect for their style. I can't wait to see what Meryl wears for Scheherazade
    Me, too! I'm envisioning something in a deep shade of blue/ purple (royalty!), trimmed with tons of GOLD, very ornate and regal. Something that just says "champions" from the moment they step onto the ice.

vCash
    I can't wait to see the programs. I'm glad both programs made it through Champs Camp for once.
    Last edited by mollymgr; 08-28-2013 at 12:29 AM.

vCash
    Hakuna Matata! I love their music choices and I'm excited for both programs! Now my hope is that they go all out for the costumes this year especially Meryl for both programs. They both will look great no matter what but I'd love to see some creative choices for their costumes. Meryl's Bollywood costume was so amazing and she's even more beautiful now.

It's going to be a killer season, everybody!
    MERYL DAVIS AND CHARLIE WHITE - 2014 OLYMPIC GOLD MEDALISTS!

vCash
    The only My Fair Lady SD that I really remember was Faiella & Scali's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOB_ba3BdjQ

May Meryl make her dress short enough so that she doesn't step on it.

And the other well known My Fair Lady program (which didn't do that much for me, truth to tell) Klimova & Ponomarenko
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NyTHT7g5j8

vCash
    Russians R/T had one last season--I wonder if Igor is chuckling about that.

I wondered if Meryl would wear a Ascot dress, but after seeing the F/S video, I'm guessing probably not.
    Last edited by CassAgain; 08-28-2013 at 12:51 AM.

vCash
    I was really impatient to know Meryl and Charlie's music choices. I admit, part of it is because I am a Tessa and Scott fan, and I must know what their greatest rivals are doing . But more than anything else because I am a great fan of ice dance and figure skating in general, and I just want to see all around great programs this season. And because I like Meryl and Charlie too.

I am glad that it's really 'Scheherezade', and that they are using/have used a Persian dance instructor. Marina is right that those characters/images suit them perfectly, especially Meryl. Also, I am so excited when I think that this FD could be something like their 'Bollywood' OD, only longer and even better! And 'My Fair Lady' is a nice choice.

Now I can't wait for the U.S. Figure Skating Classic. Because of Meryl and Charlie, but not just because of them. Davis/White, Pechalat/Bourzat, Weaver/Poje and Shibutanis debuting their programs all in one competition ! I don't know what I will do if I am not able to watch it live somehow, or if there are not videos available soon after.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DORISPULASKI View Post
    The only My Fair Lady SD that I really remember was Faiella & Scali's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOB_ba3BdjQ

May Meryl make her dress short enough so that she doesn't step on it.

And the other well known My Fair Lady program (which didn't do that much for me, truth to tell) Klimova & Ponomarenko
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NyTHT7g5j8
    The FD is cute for it's time. The older programs don't do much for me in general. Is he wearing shiny pants?

That SD though. I can't imagine a more uninspiring program. At least no one will be thinking about F/S when they skate to this music.

I hope they do it with lyrics...and a shorter dress.
    Last edited by Jessiebanana; 08-28-2013 at 02:08 AM.

Page 5 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast