Page 21 of 51 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast
    vCash
    I actually think a lift would really nice in the first part where she sings, I could have spread my wings. There was a little pause there and I actually thought a lift was going to happen.

Not that they read this or anything .

On a time traveling circus... with ice dancing?
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessiebanana View Post
    I actually think a lift would really nice in the first part where she sings, I could have spread my wings. There was a little pause there and I actually thought a lift was going to happen.

Not that they read this or anything .
    That would be so wonderful.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaffeine View Post
    Actually she is wearing a jeweled necklace..maybe it needs more bedazzling
    Hmmm. I took another look and I didn't see any jeweled necklace. She has nothing at her neckline. The dress is lovely but nothing out of the ordinary compared with some of her other skating costumes that she's had in the past. I want her to have one of a kind dresses for her Olympic season bc Meryl deserves it!

http://31.media.tumblr.com/b65af4295...q8lo3_1280.jpg

Here's a picture of the Audrey Hepburn dress with the necklace that I think would enhance and bring more even more elegance to her SD costume.

http://bios.weddingbee.com/pics/41881/myfairlady048.jpg

I think if you added that necklace to her dress it would really elevate the entire feeling of her costuming- it wouldn't have to be a real necklace just built in on a layer of high-neck illusion fabric so it's part of the dress.

vCash
    I really feel like her costume might get some changes over the next month, to add those kinds of details. She always has something elegant around her neck or wrist or in her hair for her more ballroom-y dresses.

Fending off those velocity raptors inside the LHC...with a crossbow
    vCash
    Outside of the elements, D/W are in hold pretty much the entire dance. I love that, it's so jam packed, so many transitions and little touches. It honestly looks like they're doing the Finnstep the entire time, such quick footwork. One of my favorite moments is the "I could have spread my wings" part, where they skid (like in the Finnstep), separate and do a twizzle but on their toes picks, and then rejoin again. I also love the thought put into the end pose, how Meryl is looking out at the audience but Charlie is looking at Meryl.

I am impressed with how it's so light as a feather, but also super fast and quick, D/W's signature.

If anyone knows how to download video directly from Icenetwork, I'd be happy to do it. I've never been able to find a method that worked for that site, so crappy screen recordings is all I can do right now.

vCash
    I adore the new SD. It is just so fleet and joyous and light -- a dessert souffle! I felt the lift could be more exciting and the Finnstep a bit sharper, but this program will be a mini-Fledermaus: they will rack up points and have audiences jumping up in sheer delight. Mark my words. : )

Fending off those velocity raptors inside the LHC...with a crossbow
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by missysays View Post
    Hmmm. I took another look and I didn't see any jeweled necklace. She has nothing at her neckline. The dress is lovely but nothing out of the ordinary compared with some of her other skating costumes that she's had in the past. I want her to have one of a kind dresses for her Olympic season bc Meryl deserves it!

Here's a picture of the Audrey Hepburn dress with the necklace that I think would enhance and bring more even more elegance to her SD costume.

I think if you added that necklace to her dress it would really elevate the entire feeling of her costuming- it wouldn't have to be a real necklace just built in on a layer of high-neck illusion fabric so it's part of the dress.
    She had a similar necklace in the SD warmup pictures TanithandBenFan uploaded. She or Marina must have decided to not wear it.

Thanks for the pictures TanithandBenFan!!

vCash

Maybe Tiffany's is at work on it now and they are saving it for Sochi. : ) I do like the idea.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spun Silver View Post
    Maybe Tiffany's is at work on it now and they are saving it for Sochi. : ) I do like the idea.
    Yes!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by circuscandy View Post
    I really feel like her costume might get some changes over the next month, to add those kinds of details. She always has something elegant around her neck or wrist or in her hair for her more ballroom-y dresses.
    Yeah, this is the kind of dance where she could change it a few times. Like La Strada, it doesn't require a specific costume and she may save the best for last. It really is a shame that dark purple dress only saw one competition! I'm not really worried about it. She looks beautiful as is.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessiebanana View Post
    Yeah, this is the kind of dance where she could change it a few times. Like La Strada, it doesn't require a specific costume and she may save the best for last. It really is a shame that dark purple dress only saw one competition! I'm not really worried about it. She looks beautiful as is.
    That dark purple dress was just divine.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by literaryfreak View Post
    She had a similar necklace in the SD warmup pictures TanithandBenFan uploaded. She or Marina must have decided to not wear it.

Thanks for the pictures TanithandBenFan!!
    Yes! See what a difference that necklace makes! Maybe it wasn't comfortable to wear with all of the moves they have to do? I hope they find a way to remake it or integrate something new that brings a similar effect.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leapfrogonice View Post
    I guess I don't understand overall why we are seeing so many guys in tuxedos with these short dances. Seems an oversimplification of the interpretations available, especially when there is swing music in the mix (not the case for Meryl/Charlie obviously).
    The part of the dance that is the true core of the SD is the Finnstep. And here's the description of the Finnstep:

The Finnstep is a fun, fast dance. The best way to describe it is that it resembles “sparkling champagne”. It is a ballroom type Quickstep, and should be danced very lightly, so to speak “over-the-top”. This dance is not serious, so it can even be performed a bit comically. Polka/Folklore character should be avoided.

It requires very crisp and tidy timing as well as footwork. The timing is the most important characteristic of the dance and lack of crisp and clean timing and character, should be penalized
    severely. The accent should always be at the beginning of the beat – not just on the beat. By skating the steps at the beginning of the beat, the couple achieves the required lightness. This dance measures the musicality of the couples.

The posture should be very upright, almost stiff throughout the dance. It is essential to skate the longer steps with strong, well rounded, deep edges to contrast with the crisp light steps, toe steps and hops (small jumps without rotation) found throughout the dance! Just skating the steps is not enough. It is how the steps are executed and what is “said and expressed” with the technique that is important, not the technique in itself. The technique is only a tool for expression which must be strong!
    Although the ISU has allowed Charleston & Swing as possibles to go with the Finnstep/ballroom quickstep, using that option is likely to create big seam(s) in any dance that does that. Either you're going to get the Finnstep danced to a Charleston-y or Swingy sort of piece of music, and therefore the stiff ballroom posture is going to look wrong (or worse, the dancers don't satisfy the dance description and possibly get points off for it). Another possibility is that dancers will do a ballroom Finnstep (as required) and have to make believable a transition to quite a different sort of club/party in their formal night-out clothes to go swing dancing or to a jazz club to Charleston. Not impossible, but probably not going to work all that well either.

This sort of leaves you with finnstep/quickstep/foxtrot/slow fox choices and formal dance costumes.

vCash
    Spot on, Doris.

vCash

Agreed! That would be awesome.

ETA: Maybe the one she wore broke? I would assume she'd previously tried dancing with it?

vCash
    Considering how much I disliked the MFL programs, I'd actually prefer they didn't portray the characters.
    I would agree. This is such a cliche'd music choice, the farther they stay from faithful interpretation the better. But, if they are not really interpreting the characters or story, then they need to make sure Meryl's hair, jewelry and costume do not lead viewers to assume she is playing Eliza Doolittle. As it is, they seem to be trying to have it both ways.

With the Finnstep, I was looking forward to a swingier SD and this one just seems like a cliche-ridden throwback to ice dance of years ago, complete with the little T&D 1980s walking steps (which I never liked) and the not very attractive dip borrowed from the Golden Waltz CD.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ballettmaus View Post
    Agreed! That would be awesome.

ETA: Maybe the one she wore broke? I would assume she'd previously tried dancing with it?
    Thanks for finding that picture. I thought I was going crazy when I said she wore a necklace and they said she wasn't.
    "Eve was not taken out of Adam's head to top him, neither out of his feet to be trampled by him, but out of his side to be equal with him, under his arm to be protected by him, and near his heart to be loved by him."

U.S. Ice Dance Junkie
    vCash
    Meryl in very light blue with amaazzzzzing beading. Charlie in teal jacket with some beading on the back. Meryl has gold headband with colored stones.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TanithandBenFan View Post
    Meryl in very light blue with amaazzzzzing beading. Charlie in teal jacket with some beading on the back. Meryl has gold headband with colored stones.
    Thanks…only a few more hours to go.

vCash
    That sounds lovely, but do you have any more details?

Page 21 of 51 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast