Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 1001
  1. #21

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    29,584
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    42893
    Re-posting Charlie's tweet & photo yesterday from the Champs Camp thread in GSD:
    "Reppin those school colors at the Olympic Training center #goblue #goteamusa" http://instagram.com/p/dQX5KxMT6S/
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

  2. #22
    U.S. Ice Dance Junkie
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Shamelessly fangirling
    Age
    38
    Posts
    5,775
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    5115
    Amazing and adorable drawing of M&C done by pairs skater Max Settlage.
    My Blog - Author & Figure Skating Fanatic
    LIFE ON THE EDGE - my skating novel
    EDGE OF THE PAST - the sequel
    FIGHTING FOR THE EDGE - the final book in the trilogy
    ****CROSSING THE ICE - new book coming August 7, 2014!****

  3. #23

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,153
    vCash
    862
    Rep Power
    5668
    Quote Originally Posted by TanithandBenFan View Post
    Amazing and adorable drawing of M&C done by pairs skater Max Settlage.
    That is so cute!!!

  4. #24
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    1,422
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    In the Sesame Street theme song, kids keep asking "can you tell me how to get to sesame street" so I'm thinking we should look to the lyrics. The words that jumped out at me were "It's a magic carpet ride Every door will open wide"

    To me that sounds like either Steppenwolf or Aladdin. (Personally, I think I'd take Scheherazade over either of those, tho I do kind of feel that music is cursed for US skaters.)

  5. #25
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,474
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I don't necessarily feel like it's over done, at least not for ice dance, but I'm not excited for it either. It's Meryl and Charlie though, so whatever they announce I'll eventually get on board.

    Also I always love their OD/SD so even if I dislike the FD I know I'll have the SD.

  6. #26

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Eagerly awaiting the Olympics!
    Age
    25
    Posts
    18,542
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    10229
    I almost think exactly what the music is doesn't matter as long as the choreography is really strong. If people think it's overused, then they think it's overused but if the program is actually great, the way DF and Giselle were great, it won't matter if we've heard the music before. Shez isn't really overused in ice dance, but it also isn't a choice that is going to get people really intrigued. Obviously we'd all sort of wish they made a music choice that everyone would instantly love (in the fantasy world where every figure skating fan agreed on one thing) or something that would immediately stand out, like the Indian OD, but they are certainly capable of convincing people.

    In fact, if it is Shez, it's not a terribly different choice than Giselle. Giselle is used quite commonly in figure skating but not so much in ice dancing and the majority of people were skeptical/not excited when they chose it. In the end, though, I think it was one of the most universally liked programs of the season.

    But Marina's choreography doesn't always turn out that way, so for me the real question is going to be "what does it look like" not "what music is it too". Because Meryl and Charlie have also had the occasional program that the general public had trouble warming up to.

    This is rambling. Whatever the music choice is, if the choreography is great and is really right for them, they are going to own it. So I'm less worried about the music than the program itself. (Although I'm not sure "worried" is the right word since I don't really believe they are going to come out with a bad program this year.)

  7. #27
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,474
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Theatregirl1122 View Post
    I almost think exactly what the music is doesn't matter as long as the choreography is really strong. If people think it's overused, then they think it's overused but if the program is actually great, the way DF and Giselle were great, it won't matter if we've heard the music before. Shez isn't really overused in ice dance, but it also isn't a choice that is going to get people really intrigued. Obviously we'd all sort of wish they made a music choice that everyone would instantly love (in the fantasy world where every figure skating fan agreed on one thing) or something that would immediately stand out, like the Indian OD, but they are certainly capable of convincing people.

    In fact, if it is Shez, it's not a terribly different choice than Giselle. Giselle is used quite commonly in figure skating but not so much in ice dancing and the majority of people were skeptical/not excited when they chose it. In the end, though, I think it was one of the most universally liked programs of the season.

    But Marina's choreography doesn't always turn out that way, so for me the real question is going to be "what does it look like" not "what music is it too". Because Meryl and Charlie have also had the occasional program that the general public had trouble warming up to.

    This is rambling. Whatever the music choice is, if the choreography is great and is really right for them, they are going to own it. So I'm less worried about the music than the program itself. (Although I'm not sure "worried" is the right word since I don't really believe they are going to come out with a bad program this year.)
    I sort of agree, but not quite. If I hear Requiem for a Dream, Carmen, or El Tango de Roxanne again in the next decade I will shoot myself in the face and there is no amount of awesome choreography that will make it okay.

    But I do get that good choreography (and skating) can make music come alive, especially when you have people like Meryl and Charlie that can play to the nuances and quick changes of tempo. For the most part I do like Marina's choreography, she's not perfect, no one is, but I can't think of anyone better. Also, with the top teams, it's hard to know exactly where they're inserting their input.

  8. #28
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    wherever they cheer for Davis/White
    Posts
    1,124
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I'm sorry, but if music wasn't important, skaters would compete without it. Music is a HUGE part of the program, of the whole package. Choreography without music is just a bunch of figures, music makes it tell a story, come to life and astonish us. Music is a huge deal, especially in the Olympic season.

    Why was Giselle such an amazing program? IMO mostly because the music and the choreography were so incredibly compatibile. I have never seen a figure skating program which would suit its music so well. This is what made this program for me. Agreed that music alone is far for making a great program, but choreography is not enough either. They are being put together for a reason.

    I do believe Meryl and Charlie can make a masterpiece out of anything, but I can't help but feel a little disappointed. Of course IF they're really doing Sheherezade (which I'm almost sure they are).

  9. #29

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Usually in the D/W thread
    Posts
    5,079
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    585
    All these years Meryl and Charlie have never failed to thrill me with their programs and their performances. Well there was the OD from hell but then they came back with a great performance of their S&D! I just smile every time they take the ice.

    Also, you know I enjoy "The Skating Lesson" website and they were talking about how skaters probably shouldn't read message boards unless they have a thick skin. I hate to think that some do read the negative things that get said but I also hope they know about the positive and how much their fans do appreciate them. I hope it balances out.
    MERYL DAVIS AND CHARLIE WHITE - 2014 OLYMPIC GOLD MEDALISTS!

  10. #30

    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Pandora's Box
    Posts
    1,293
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    856
    I loved Giselle because the step sequences were "sewn in" (for lack of a better term) into the choreography. It fit beautifully; as if it was supposed to be there all along.
    "Eve was not taken out of Adam's head to top him, neither out of his feet to be trampled by him, but out of his side to be equal with him, under his arm to be protected by him, and near his heart to be loved by him."

  11. #31
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    On a time traveling circus... with ice dancing?
    Posts
    567
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    It was the perfect example of the potential of the short dance.

  12. #32
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    405
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I've been lurking on FSU since forever and thought I would introduce myself here, since I'm a huge MC fan.

    :::waves to everyone:::

    I keep checking this thread compulsively, looking for any word of music choices. MC (and Marina) have been so mum on this topic, it's driving me bonkers.

  13. #33
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    23
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Welcome E.A. Week. You've described my behavior and my feelings exactly.

  14. #34
    U.S. Ice Dance Junkie
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Shamelessly fangirling
    Age
    38
    Posts
    5,775
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    5115
    Welcome, E.A.! Will you be attending Nationals since you're in Boston?
    My Blog - Author & Figure Skating Fanatic
    LIFE ON THE EDGE - my skating novel
    EDGE OF THE PAST - the sequel
    FIGHTING FOR THE EDGE - the final book in the trilogy
    ****CROSSING THE ICE - new book coming August 7, 2014!****

  15. #35

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Staring at the ocean, anywhere anytime
    Posts
    9,866
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    11372
    Welcome E.A.!!!


  16. #36
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    405
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by TanithandBenFan View Post
    Welcome, E.A.! Will you be attending Nationals since you're in Boston?
    No, but for a positive reason--I'm buying a condo (closing is in a week!) and basically don't have the money. I would dearly love to see MC live in a competition, but the fates have kind of conspired against it. However, I pre-ordered Stars on Ice tickets prior to buying the condo, and my fingers are crossed MC will do one of their competitive numbers as an exhibition routine. I had front-row seats for the 2010 tour when they did their Bollywood number, and let me tell you, it just about made my year. I was jumping out of my seat and shrieking with happiness.

    The silence on the music front is a little baffling. Evidently Marina felt comfortable announcing the Shibs' and VM's music selections fairly early on, but MC's music has been this huge secret. I just hope that when an announcement is finally made, it's not a let-down. I really want their music for this year to be awesome.

  17. #37

    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Pandora's Box
    Posts
    1,293
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    856
    Quote Originally Posted by E.A. Week View Post

    The silence on the music front is a little baffling. Evidently Marina felt comfortable announcing the Shibs' and VM's music selections fairly early on, but MC's music has been this huge secret. I just hope that when an announcement is finally made, it's not a let-down. I really want their music for this year to be awesome.
    Welcome E.A. Week!

    Perhaps it's USFSA that has asked Marina to hold on announcement until they see the programs/listen to the music selections. Considering it's the Olympic season and Meryl/Charlie are USA's best hope for an Olympic Gold, they want to make sure the absolute best choices were made.
    "Eve was not taken out of Adam's head to top him, neither out of his feet to be trampled by him, but out of his side to be equal with him, under his arm to be protected by him, and near his heart to be loved by him."

  18. #38
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    On a time traveling circus... with ice dancing?
    Posts
    567
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by E.A. Week View Post
    I've been lurking on FSU since forever and thought I would introduce myself here, since I'm a huge MC fan.

    :::waves to everyone:::

    I keep checking this thread compulsively, looking for any word of music choices. MC (and Marina) have been so mum on this topic, it's driving me bonkers.
    Hey hey!! And welcome!

    And in Champs Camp news, finally! an appearance of Meryl and Charlie.

  19. #39
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    405
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaffeine View Post
    Welcome E.A. Week!

    Perhaps it's USFSA that has asked Marina to hold on announcement until they see the programs/listen to the music selections. Considering it's the Olympic season and Meryl/Charlie are USA's best hope for an Olympic Gold, they want to make sure the absolute best choices were made.
    Well, if the USFSA has any sense, they'll be sure to treat Meryl and Charlie like the precious commodity they are. : )

    I just want their music to be amazing--no matter what it is, I want it to show off MC to their best advantage.

  20. #40
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Chipocalypse, Chicago
    Posts
    614
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Here's another welcome E.A. Week! Post long, post often!..and try to ignore the haters/mentally ill people that come in here every once in a while

    Everyone is waiting for MC to tell their programs! Can you imagine the night before the actual Olympic games start?!

Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •