Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

vCash
    Re-posting Charlie's tweet & photo yesterday from the Champs Camp thread in GSD:
    "Reppin those school colors at the Olympic Training center #goblue #goteamusa" http://instagram.com/p/dQX5KxMT6S/
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

U.S. Ice Dance Junkie
    vCash
    Amazing and adorable drawing of M&C done by pairs skater Max Settlage.
    My Blog - Author & Figure Skating Fanatic
    LIFE ON THE EDGE - my skating novel
    EDGE OF THE PAST - the sequel
    FIGHTING FOR THE EDGE - the final book in the trilogy
    ****CROSSING THE ICE - new book coming August 7, 2014!****

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TanithandBenFan View Post
    Amazing and adorable drawing of M&C done by pairs skater Max Settlage.
    That is so cute!!!

vCash
    In the Sesame Street theme song, kids keep asking "can you tell me how to get to sesame street" so I'm thinking we should look to the lyrics. The words that jumped out at me were "It's a magic carpet ride Every door will open wide"

To me that sounds like either Steppenwolf or Aladdin. (Personally, I think I'd take Scheherazade over either of those, tho I do kind of feel that music is cursed for US skaters.)

vCash
    I don't necessarily feel like it's over done, at least not for ice dance, but I'm not excited for it either. It's Meryl and Charlie though, so whatever they announce I'll eventually get on board.

Also I always love their OD/SD so even if I dislike the FD I know I'll have the SD.

vCash
    I almost think exactly what the music is doesn't matter as long as the choreography is really strong. If people think it's overused, then they think it's overused but if the program is actually great, the way DF and Giselle were great, it won't matter if we've heard the music before. Shez isn't really overused in ice dance, but it also isn't a choice that is going to get people really intrigued. Obviously we'd all sort of wish they made a music choice that everyone would instantly love (in the fantasy world where every figure skating fan agreed on one thing) or something that would immediately stand out, like the Indian OD, but they are certainly capable of convincing people.

In fact, if it is Shez, it's not a terribly different choice than Giselle. Giselle is used quite commonly in figure skating but not so much in ice dancing and the majority of people were skeptical/not excited when they chose it. In the end, though, I think it was one of the most universally liked programs of the season.

But Marina's choreography doesn't always turn out that way, so for me the real question is going to be "what does it look like" not "what music is it too". Because Meryl and Charlie have also had the occasional program that the general public had trouble warming up to.

This is rambling. Whatever the music choice is, if the choreography is great and is really right for them, they are going to own it. So I'm less worried about the music than the program itself. (Although I'm not sure "worried" is the right word since I don't really believe they are going to come out with a bad program this year.)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Theatregirl1122 View Post
    I almost think exactly what the music is doesn't matter as long as the choreography is really strong. If people think it's overused, then they think it's overused but if the program is actually great, the way DF and Giselle were great, it won't matter if we've heard the music before. Shez isn't really overused in ice dance, but it also isn't a choice that is going to get people really intrigued. Obviously we'd all sort of wish they made a music choice that everyone would instantly love (in the fantasy world where every figure skating fan agreed on one thing) or something that would immediately stand out, like the Indian OD, but they are certainly capable of convincing people.

In fact, if it is Shez, it's not a terribly different choice than Giselle. Giselle is used quite commonly in figure skating but not so much in ice dancing and the majority of people were skeptical/not excited when they chose it. In the end, though, I think it was one of the most universally liked programs of the season.

But Marina's choreography doesn't always turn out that way, so for me the real question is going to be "what does it look like" not "what music is it too". Because Meryl and Charlie have also had the occasional program that the general public had trouble warming up to.

This is rambling. Whatever the music choice is, if the choreography is great and is really right for them, they are going to own it. So I'm less worried about the music than the program itself. (Although I'm not sure "worried" is the right word since I don't really believe they are going to come out with a bad program this year.)
    I sort of agree, but not quite. If I hear Requiem for a Dream, Carmen, or El Tango de Roxanne again in the next decade I will shoot myself in the face and there is no amount of awesome choreography that will make it okay.

But I do get that good choreography (and skating) can make music come alive, especially when you have people like Meryl and Charlie that can play to the nuances and quick changes of tempo. For the most part I do like Marina's choreography, she's not perfect, no one is, but I can't think of anyone better. Also, with the top teams, it's hard to know exactly where they're inserting their input.

vCash
    I'm sorry, but if music wasn't important, skaters would compete without it. Music is a HUGE part of the program, of the whole package. Choreography without music is just a bunch of figures, music makes it tell a story, come to life and astonish us. Music is a huge deal, especially in the Olympic season.

Why was Giselle such an amazing program? IMO mostly because the music and the choreography were so incredibly compatibile. I have never seen a figure skating program which would suit its music so well. This is what made this program for me. Agreed that music alone is far for making a great program, but choreography is not enough either. They are being put together for a reason.

I do believe Meryl and Charlie can make a masterpiece out of anything, but I can't help but feel a little disappointed. Of course IF they're really doing Sheherezade (which I'm almost sure they are).

vCash
    All these years Meryl and Charlie have never failed to thrill me with their programs and their performances. Well there was the OD from hell but then they came back with a great performance of their S&D! I just smile every time they take the ice.

Also, you know I enjoy "The Skating Lesson" website and they were talking about how skaters probably shouldn't read message boards unless they have a thick skin. I hate to think that some do read the negative things that get said but I also hope they know about the positive and how much their fans do appreciate them. I hope it balances out.
    MERYL DAVIS AND CHARLIE WHITE - 2014 OLYMPIC GOLD MEDALISTS!

vCash
    I loved Giselle because the step sequences were "sewn in" (for lack of a better term) into the choreography. It fit beautifully; as if it was supposed to be there all along.
    "Eve was not taken out of Adam's head to top him, neither out of his feet to be trampled by him, but out of his side to be equal with him, under his arm to be protected by him, and near his heart to be loved by him."

On a time traveling circus... with ice dancing?
    vCash
    It was the perfect example of the potential of the short dance.

vCash
    I've been lurking on FSU since forever and thought I would introduce myself here, since I'm a huge MC fan.

:::waves to everyone:::

I keep checking this thread compulsively, looking for any word of music choices. MC (and Marina) have been so mum on this topic, it's driving me bonkers.

vCash
    Welcome E.A. Week. You've described my behavior and my feelings exactly.

U.S. Ice Dance Junkie
    vCash
    Welcome, E.A.! Will you be attending Nationals since you're in Boston?
    My Blog - Author & Figure Skating Fanatic
    LIFE ON THE EDGE - my skating novel
    EDGE OF THE PAST - the sequel
    FIGHTING FOR THE EDGE - the final book in the trilogy
    ****CROSSING THE ICE - new book coming August 7, 2014!****

vCash
    Welcome E.A.!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TanithandBenFan View Post
    Welcome, E.A.! Will you be attending Nationals since you're in Boston?
    No, but for a positive reason--I'm buying a condo (closing is in a week!) and basically don't have the money. I would dearly love to see MC live in a competition, but the fates have kind of conspired against it. However, I pre-ordered Stars on Ice tickets prior to buying the condo, and my fingers are crossed MC will do one of their competitive numbers as an exhibition routine. I had front-row seats for the 2010 tour when they did their Bollywood number, and let me tell you, it just about made my year. I was jumping out of my seat and shrieking with happiness.

The silence on the music front is a little baffling. Evidently Marina felt comfortable announcing the Shibs' and VM's music selections fairly early on, but MC's music has been this huge secret. I just hope that when an announcement is finally made, it's not a let-down. I really want their music for this year to be awesome.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by E.A. Week View Post

The silence on the music front is a little baffling. Evidently Marina felt comfortable announcing the Shibs' and VM's music selections fairly early on, but MC's music has been this huge secret. I just hope that when an announcement is finally made, it's not a let-down. I really want their music for this year to be awesome.
    Welcome E.A. Week!

Perhaps it's USFSA that has asked Marina to hold on announcement until they see the programs/listen to the music selections. Considering it's the Olympic season and Meryl/Charlie are USA's best hope for an Olympic Gold, they want to make sure the absolute best choices were made.
    "Eve was not taken out of Adam's head to top him, neither out of his feet to be trampled by him, but out of his side to be equal with him, under his arm to be protected by him, and near his heart to be loved by him."

On a time traveling circus... with ice dancing?
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by E.A. Week View Post
    I've been lurking on FSU since forever and thought I would introduce myself here, since I'm a huge MC fan.

:::waves to everyone:::

I keep checking this thread compulsively, looking for any word of music choices. MC (and Marina) have been so mum on this topic, it's driving me bonkers.
    Hey hey!! And welcome!

And in Champs Camp news, finally! an appearance of Meryl and Charlie.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaffeine View Post
    Welcome E.A. Week!

Perhaps it's USFSA that has asked Marina to hold on announcement until they see the programs/listen to the music selections. Considering it's the Olympic season and Meryl/Charlie are USA's best hope for an Olympic Gold, they want to make sure the absolute best choices were made.
    Well, if the USFSA has any sense, they'll be sure to treat Meryl and Charlie like the precious commodity they are. : )

I just want their music to be amazing--no matter what it is, I want it to show off MC to their best advantage.

vCash
    Here's another welcome E.A. Week! Post long, post often!..and try to ignore the haters/mentally ill people that come in here every once in a while

Everyone is waiting for MC to tell their programs! Can you imagine the night before the actual Olympic games start?!

Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast