Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Alexander Fadeev- could he have been one of the greats?

Fadeev looked like he might be the one to beat in the 85-88 quad. He was a medal contender at the 84 Olympics but a bad short program cost him a medal. He medalled at the 84 Worlds with a spectacular free skate. He dominated the 85 Worlds, winning all 3 portions to win gold ahead of the favored Brian Orser and the rest easily. He had such a huge lead at the 86 Worlds he only needed 3rd or 4th in the free skate to win, which meant even a program with 2 or 3 errors would have been enough, but he blew up and ended up 5th in the free and dropping to bronze, gifting the gold to surprise winner Brian Boitano. He scored several 6.0s at the 87 Europeans but could not duplicate that performance at Worlds and again dropped from 1st to 3rd. He then finished a very dissapointing 4th at the Calgary Olympics.

He looked to be resurgent in the post Olympic season, beating Petrenko to win Nationals, and winning Europeans with perfect 6.0s again. After placing 1st in figures to 5th for Browning he could have wrapped up his 2nd World title in the short program but fell. He still led going into the free but blew up and dropped to 4th. He beat Petrenko at Soviet Nationals again in 1990, and finished 2nd at NHK behind Petrenko but ahead of Browning, so looked like a contender with Petrenko and Browning for the 1990 World title but WD just before Europeans and never skated again.

As a pro he appeared off and on. Wasnt a big name in the U.S so opportunities were limited.

Could he have been one of the greats. He seems to have had lots of opportunities but always fell apart at big meets like Worlds and Olympics, while skating his best at Europeans. He also didnt really improve after 85, stagnant artistically and skating often strange and boring programs. Combine that with inconsistent jumps and he found himself stuck in a 3rd or 4th rut in big events after his World title win.

vCash
    I don't know who (other than possibly the Soviet media ) ever saw Fadeev as "the one to beat" after the 84 Olympics. He finished there behind Orser and Boitano, both young skaters who planned to continue to Calgary.

I think Fadeev achieved about as much as his potential allowed. The World title he did win was expected to go to Orser (who did not skate well). As a jumper, he was not as good as either Brian and as a stylist he was no match for Orser (and by 1988, Boitano). I even preferred watching Kotin as a skater.

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    He did win a World title and was very good, but he just had a bad Olympics ... but he certainly got Vanessa Riley's attention

vCash
    In 1985, when he won his World championship, he seemed unbeatable, but somehow things went downhill from there.
    Certainly I seem to remember Uncle Dickie saying so.

After1986 he was mainly renowned for figures, falling at Worlds & Olympics, and for wearing unfortunate semitransparent pants. His skating in the latter half of the quad probably was affected by injuries.
    Last edited by DORISPULASKI; 10-13-2013 at 01:06 PM.

vCash
    He had the technical skills to be great, but he did not develop his artistry by much and was beaten by skaters who were more complete (Orser in 84, Boitano in 86). At the 88 Olympics he was injured or he would have been a good bronze medallist. When Fadeev beat both Brians at the 85 worlds, I was not watching FS much, so I did not watch that competition. Once Boitano developed as a more complete skater, and Viktor Petrenko emerged as a more complete skater, Fadeev lost his advantage. I think Fadeev did have the potential to be great in the 84-88 quad, but it did not materialize. IMO he needed to work on his artistry more. He did win the world championship in 1985, and that is no small accomplishment.

vCash
    The 86 and 89 Worlds should have been incredibly easy for him to win. Beyond that it is hard to say. Atleast the bronze in Calgary should have been very easy for him to win as well.

vCash
    I think he could have been. After winning '85 Worlds, he was all set to repeat as '86 World Champion but blew the FS. Had he won '86 Worlds, I think it would have put an entirely different spin leading up to the '88 Olympics. Even there he won figures and could have been on the podium with a better SP and FS. I enjoyed his skating.
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

vCash
    I loved him so much! I'll never forget his white pants.. everybody was in shock!!
    Last edited by lala; 10-13-2013 at 05:18 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Susan M View Post
    I don't know who (other than possibly the Soviet media ) ever saw Fadeev as "the one to beat" after the 84 Olympics. He finished there behind Orser and Boitano, both young skaters who planned to continue to Calgary.

I think Fadeev achieved about as much as his potential allowed. The World title he did win was expected to go to Orser (who did not skate well). As a jumper, he was not as good as either Brian and as a stylist he was no match for Orser (and by 1988, Boitano). I even preferred watching Kotin as a skater.
    Orser's only slightly subpar performance at the 85 Worlds was the LP. He skated well in figures (for him) and the short program where he was clean. Yet Fadeev was 1st in figures to Orser's 4th, and 1st in the short to Orser's 2nd, and already had the gold locked up even had Orser done the skate of his life in the free program. Even with a clean skate in the long he might have lost that too to Fadeev's outstanding performance.

Fadeev also should have easily won the 86 Worlds which Boitano won by complete default only since Fadeev, Orser, and Sabovick all bombed. Fadeev only needed 4th place in the long program to win, and with a clean or almost clean skate he would have won the long over Boitano at that event anyway.

After 86 he lost momentum and Orser and Boitano not only had superior reputations by then but grew more as skaters and were by Calgary simply better skaters too I agree. Had Fadeev defended his World title in 86, which he clearly would have even with a 65% performance, it would be a totally different perspective on things heading to Calgary. Fadeev at that moment would have been the early favorite for the 88 Gold, and even had he not won the 87 Worlds, would have had to be taken seriously as a major gold contender for the 88 Games as a 2 time World Champion that quadrennial.

He also started the post Orser/Boitano quad looking like he could be the one to beat with how he skated the 88/89 season but unfortunately again failed at the crucial moment at Worlds. Does anyone know why he mysteriously stopped midway through the 1990 season and never announced a retirement, especialy as his results indicated he was still a gold contender at that point?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    He had the technical skills to be great, but he did not develop his artistry by much and was beaten by skaters who were more complete (Orser in 84, Boitano in 86). At the 88 Olympics he was injured or he would have been a good bronze medallist. When Fadeev beat both Brians at the 85 worlds, I was not watching FS much, so I did not watch that competition. Once Boitano developed as a more complete skater, and Viktor Petrenko emerged as a more complete skater, Fadeev lost his advantage. I think Fadeev did have the potential to be great in the 84-88 quad, but it did not materialize. IMO he needed to work on his artistry more. He did win the world championship in 1985, and that is no small accomplishment.
    I agree he needed to improve his artistry. He also could have improved his spins IMO.

Even so he had many opportunities, even without improving, and blew them all. His biggest problem was getting out of his own way.

He did finally improve his artistry in 89 with a new coach though, although his career was almost over by then.

Vacant
    vCash
    I loved Fadeev's skating. His 1989 Europeans LP (by which time he had switched to Stanislav Leonovich) is still one of skating's really great performances that is too often overlooked. Leonovich was the one who packaged him really well. Before that he had been with Zhuk, Ludmilla Pakhomova and then Sergei Volkov.

Banned Member
    vCash
    Fadeev could have been. He did 3lutz/3toe, 3axel and had a quad in practices. he was very good at figures.

Had he skated at Worlds and Olympics as he did in 1989 Europeans, yes, he would have been considered great.

vCash
    I actually think he is great. His skating did more to me than Orser's and Boitano's. He was not as consistent but he was very creative and his programs had a lot of cool moves and choreography...I remember some comments by Scott Hamilton that his programs were too difficult and packed with transitions
    I think winning worlds and europeans and medalling in many championships qualifies u as a great skater

vCash
    I think it was this performance at 1989 Europeans that made people wonder what might have been.
    http://m.youtube.com/index?&desktop_...?v=5UUIUrVnQvg

He occasionally had brilliant performances as a pro as well, but then when everyone's expectations were high he would fumble around and have a terrible skate. He was kind of like Abbott after 2010 Nationals.

vCash
    I agree that his technique was wonderful. He had that compact spring in his jumps similar to Scott Hamilton. But, it did not seem that he style had much range or versatility. I wasn't convinced that he had the same capacity for growth on an artistic level.

vCash
    Why did he always skate better at Europeans than Worlds. Did he get nervous. Had he skated at Worlds and Olympics every year like he did at Europeans he would have won the 85, 86, 89, and maybe 87 Worlds, and medalled at both the 84 and 88 Olympics.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Am I the only who thinks it weird that somebody who made it to the World Championships eight times, placed in the top four six of those times, won four world medals including a gold and also made it to the Olympics not just once, but twice (placing 7th and 4th)...is not considered to be a "great"? If anybody cares to share their resume, I'd love to see it...it must be freakin' AWESOME!!!
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Am I the only who thinks it weird that somebody who made it to the World Championships eight times, placed in the top four six of those times, won four world medals including a gold and also made it to the Olympics not just once, but twice (placing 7th and 4th)...is not considered to be a "great"? If anybody cares to share their resume, I'd love to see it...it must be freakin' AWESOME!!!
    You are right. I guess I meant greats in that someone that was legendary enough to still be talked about some today. The way Boitano, Orser, and Hamilton still are. Great enough to have an opportunity for a full pro career which unfortunately he didnt have.

Does anyone know what happened with his WD from Europeans and quietly leaving the sport in 1990 though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KimGOAT View Post
    You are right. I guess I meant greats in that someone that was legendary enough to still be talked about some today. The way Boitano, Orser, and Hamilton still are. Great enough to have an opportunity for a full pro career which unfortunately he didnt have.

Does anyone know what happened with his WD from Europeans and quietly leaving the sport in 1990 though.
    I wouldn't say he had no pro career. He appeared in the U.S. in the made for tv competition "Ice Wars", and he was a headliner in a televised Gershwin on Ice special. I assume he had tour opportunities as well as a former World and European champion.

vCash
    He was a "utility cast member" for several of the "Theatre on Ice" tours during the 1990's.

When he did compete on the Pro circuit, he did some terriffic programs.
    Sometimes, they weren't technically "perfect".; but, his artistic growth was apparent - and wonderful.

Here are two of my favorites:

1995 Canadian Pros AP
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6Ha5tMYuJk

1994 World Team Figure Skating Championships AP
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScbXM-ZGoUc

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast