Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Recovering from the Olys
    vCash

2013 Champs Camp news & social media coverage (for U.S. Grand Prix skaters/teams)

The annual "Champs Camp" takes place this week for the U.S. skaters assigned to the 2013-14 Grand Prix, so here's the thread for all news, photos, and other coverage via social media.

There should be 39 athletes attending with their coaches (I've noted the newbies with a *):

Men (8): *Max Aaron, Jeremy Abbott, *Jason Brown, Richard Dornbush, *Joshua Farris, Evan Lysacek, Ross Miner, Adam Rippon

Ladies (7): *Samantha Cesario, Christina Gao, Gracie Gold, Mirai Nagasu, Ashley Wagner, Agnes Zawadzki, Caroline Zhang

Pairs (7 teams): Marissa Castelli/Simon Shnapir, Lindsay Davis/Rockne Brubaker, Caydee Denney/John Coughlin, *Haven Denney/Brandon Frazier, *Alexa Scimeca/Chris Knierim, *Britney Simpson/Matthew Blackmer, *Felicia Zhang/Nate Bartholomay

Ice Dance (5 teams): *Alexandra Aldridge/Daniel Eaton, Madison Chock/Evan Bates, Meryl Davis/Charlie White, Madison Hubbell/Zach Donohue, Maia & Alex Shibutani

ETA this tweet by @USFigureSkating:
    "We are gearing up for #ChampsCamp here in Colorado Springs. Get ready for tons of updates throughout the week!"

The newbies are excited - a sampling of tweets:

Alexa Scimeca @lexxapaige:
    "So excited to take part in our first ever champs camp!!!! @ChrisKnierim #teamUSA"

Matt Blackmer @MattBmer last week:
    "Champs camp is next week. And I'll be there. #IsThisRealLife?

Today is the travel day to Colorado Springs (for those not already there). ETA: A few are traveling early Tuesday.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 08-20-2013 at 06:16 AM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Thanks Sylvia! You're always on it!

I think Ice Network should cover Champs Camp more thoroughly. I'm talking about more interview segments and videos of the test skates (or at least open it to the public like Russia does). If they open up that aspect of the sport they may be able to attract more people.

That said I'm excited to "hear" about how the test skates went seeing as we'll probably never get to actually see them.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    That said I'm excited to "hear" about how the test skates went seeing as we'll probably never get to actually see them.
    Don't get your hopes up. From what I understand, any media folks there usually don't get to see the skates either.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Don't get your hopes up. From what I understand, any media folks there usually don't get to see the skates either.
    That sucks!!

vCash
    Isn't the point of this camp, though, to be for the skaters and for them to get feedback at least somewhat privately on their programs? If so, I can see why the press and fans aren't allowed to view these skates. And if I were a skater, I think I'd prefer to keep this a non-fan event since it's really a work and enrichment week, not a series of exhibitions. Having this open to fans could be a potential nightmare for some very popular skaters (kwanatic, not picking on you or your board name, but imagine a Champ's Camp with MK or Sasha present during their heyday and fans allowed access. That could turn crazy pretty quickly).
    "Once you've skated together long enough, and you're really good friends, you can close your eyes, put your hand out and she's right there." Joe Dolkiewicz, 2011 US Novice Pairs Bronze Medalist

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yazmeen View Post
    Isn't the point of this camp, though, to be for the skaters and for them to get feedback at least somewhat privately on their programs? If so, I can see why the press and fans aren't allowed to view these skates. And if I were a skater, I think I'd prefer to keep this a non-fan event since it's really a work and enrichment week, not a series of exhibitions. Having this open to fans could be a potential nightmare for some very popular skaters (kwanatic, not picking on you or your board name, but imagine a Champ's Camp with MK or Sasha present during their heyday and fans allowed access. That could turn crazy pretty quickly).
    True. I guess it is better to show their programs without the added pressure of an audience but still, it would be nice. Maybe rather than fill the arena they sell tickets on a first come first serve basis?

Ah well...I guess we don't have that long until the season starts. I can wait.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yazmeen View Post
    No, no, no, the point of Champs Camp is to do silly team-building activities!!
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    I think Ice Network should cover Champs Camp more thoroughly. I'm talking about more interview segments and videos of the test skates (or at least open it to the public like Russia does). If they open up that aspect of the sport they may be able to attract more people.
    Attract more people how? I can see how providing coverage of an off-season preparatory event like this would intensify the investment of fans who are already considerably invested in following the sport of figure skating. I.e., attract the same people more strongly.

But I can't see how it would attract anyone new to following the sport in the first place. Especially not through IceNetwork, which is not a media source that reaches anyone who doesn't already make some effort to follow figure skating.

vCash

2013 Champs Camp news & social media coverage (for U.S. Grand Prix skaters/te...

delete

U.S. Ice Dance Junkie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judiz View Post
    Does not attending Champs Camp mean a skater will not be competing this season?
    No, only skaters assigned to a Grand Prix event are invited to Champs Camp.
    My Blog - Author & Figure Skating Fanatic
    LIFE ON THE EDGE - my skating novel
    EDGE OF THE PAST - the sequel
    FIGHTING FOR THE EDGE - the final book in the trilogy
    ****CROSSING THE ICE - new book coming Fall 2014!****

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Latest tweets:

@SammiCesario:
    Last minute packing. Colorado Springs in the am.. cant wait to see everyone! Xo #champscamp

@MaiaShibutani:
    Made it to Colorado Springs w/ @Meryl_Davis @CharlieaWhite @MarissaCastelli @SimonShnapir + @AlexShibutani! #ChampsCamp #2013TravelBuddies

@CharlieaWhite:
    Whattup Colorado Springs?! Ready for champs camp and altitude! http://instagram.com/p/dN0qtdMTwb/

@Evan_Bates:
    Heading to #ChampsCamp alongside @chockolate02. In the inspiring words of Olympic champ @ryanlochte, "#Jeah!!!"

@felicia_zhang (who left Florida before 4am!):
    We made it! @NateBartholomay #teamusa #OTC #ChampsCamp http://instagram.com/p/dM5ZsnBA3I/

@christina_gao:
    He's thinking of getting "Bigfoot, the Bashful Yeti" statue. What do you think? @rossminer #ChampsCamp #travelbuds http://pic.twitter.com/JjpxqyjqcW
    Last edited by Sylvia; 08-20-2013 at 03:39 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Latest tweets:
    @christina_gao:
    He's thinking of getting "Bigfoot, the Bashful Yeti" statue. What do you think? @rossminer #ChampsCamp #travelbuds http://pic.twitter.com/JjpxqyjqcW
    That's pretty much the perfect summary of SkyMall's offerings. . .
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    From https://www.facebook.com/pages/Madis...42724?fref=ts:

Madison Hubbell & Zachary Donohue
    Hace 6 horas
    Off to Champs Camp! We're packed and ready to go!! Looking forward to seeing everyone, and showing our new short and free dances. We love them, and can't wait to put them out there.
    Going to be a full week!!

vCash
    Thanks Sylvia! You're always on it!

I wish this was true. I do not get how come it is secret when most have already performed? IT also would be great for the athletes to have an audience..I would travel there !!! Does anyone know why it is so"secret"?? Also one of my favorite pair teams is getting an award... Just don't get why you can't watch anything you miss out on one of the most important part..the audience reaction to the program and costumes etc...

vCash
    We all know what we're most looking forward to out of Champs Camp, don't we?

ANOTHER SHIBSIBS VIDEO!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    We all know what we're most looking forward to out of Champs Camp, don't we?

ANOTHER SHIBSIBS VIDEO!
    TOO TRUE

Just seeing this thread is making me exited, GO US SKATERS THE CHAMPS yay

Briber of judges
    vCash
    No Lynn and Logan. I guess this means they won't get the TBA spot at Skate America.
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by peibeck View Post
    No Lynn and Logan. I guess this means they won't get the TBA spot at Skate America.
    Sad.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Or maybe a decision will be made after Champs Camp - no need to make assumptions at this point.

Briber of judges
    vCash
    Haven't you learned by now that I'm a snarky pessimist, Sylvia?
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast