Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 99
  1. #1
    Recovering from the Olys
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    28,402
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    17757

    2013 Champs Camp news & social media coverage (for U.S. Grand Prix skaters/teams)

    The annual "Champs Camp" takes place this week for the U.S. skaters assigned to the 2013-14 Grand Prix, so here's the thread for all news, photos, and other coverage via social media.

    There should be 39 athletes attending with their coaches (I've noted the newbies with a *):

    Men (8): *Max Aaron, Jeremy Abbott, *Jason Brown, Richard Dornbush, *Joshua Farris, Evan Lysacek, Ross Miner, Adam Rippon

    Ladies (7): *Samantha Cesario, Christina Gao, Gracie Gold, Mirai Nagasu, Ashley Wagner, Agnes Zawadzki, Caroline Zhang

    Pairs (7 teams): Marissa Castelli/Simon Shnapir, Lindsay Davis/Rockne Brubaker, Caydee Denney/John Coughlin, *Haven Denney/Brandon Frazier, *Alexa Scimeca/Chris Knierim, *Britney Simpson/Matthew Blackmer, *Felicia Zhang/Nate Bartholomay

    Ice Dance (5 teams): *Alexandra Aldridge/Daniel Eaton, Madison Chock/Evan Bates, Meryl Davis/Charlie White, Madison Hubbell/Zach Donohue, Maia & Alex Shibutani

    ETA this tweet by @USFigureSkating:
    "We are gearing up for #ChampsCamp here in Colorado Springs. Get ready for tons of updates throughout the week!"

    The newbies are excited - a sampling of tweets:

    Alexa Scimeca @lexxapaige:
    "So excited to take part in our first ever champs camp!!!! @ChrisKnierim #teamUSA"

    Matt Blackmer @MattBmer last week:
    "Champs camp is next week. And I'll be there. #IsThisRealLife?

    Today is the travel day to Colorado Springs (for those not already there). ETA: A few are traveling early Tuesday.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 08-20-2013 at 06:16 AM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Somewhere, beyond the sea...
    Posts
    1,800
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Thanks Sylvia! You're always on it!

    I think Ice Network should cover Champs Camp more thoroughly. I'm talking about more interview segments and videos of the test skates (or at least open it to the public like Russia does). If they open up that aspect of the sport they may be able to attract more people.

    That said I'm excited to "hear" about how the test skates went seeing as we'll probably never get to actually see them.

  3. #3
    Recovering from the Olys
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    28,402
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    17757
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    That said I'm excited to "hear" about how the test skates went seeing as we'll probably never get to actually see them.
    Don't get your hopes up. From what I understand, any media folks there usually don't get to see the skates either.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Somewhere, beyond the sea...
    Posts
    1,800
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Don't get your hopes up. From what I understand, any media folks there usually don't get to see the skates either.
    That sucks!!

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    3,187
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    8291
    Isn't the point of this camp, though, to be for the skaters and for them to get feedback at least somewhat privately on their programs? If so, I can see why the press and fans aren't allowed to view these skates. And if I were a skater, I think I'd prefer to keep this a non-fan event since it's really a work and enrichment week, not a series of exhibitions. Having this open to fans could be a potential nightmare for some very popular skaters (kwanatic, not picking on you or your board name, but imagine a Champ's Camp with MK or Sasha present during their heyday and fans allowed access. That could turn crazy pretty quickly).
    "Once you've skated together long enough, and you're really good friends, you can close your eyes, put your hand out and she's right there." Joe Dolkiewicz, 2011 US Novice Pairs Bronze Medalist

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Somewhere, beyond the sea...
    Posts
    1,800
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Yazmeen View Post
    Isn't the point of this camp, though, to be for the skaters and for them to get feedback at least somewhat privately on their programs? If so, I can see why the press and fans aren't allowed to view these skates. And if I were a skater, I think I'd prefer to keep this a non-fan event since it's really a work and enrichment week, not a series of exhibitions. Having this open to fans could be a potential nightmare for some very popular skaters (kwanatic, not picking on you or your board name, but imagine a Champ's Camp with MK or Sasha present during their heyday and fans allowed access. That could turn crazy pretty quickly).
    True. I guess it is better to show their programs without the added pressure of an audience but still, it would be nice. Maybe rather than fill the arena they sell tickets on a first come first serve basis?

    Ah well...I guess we don't have that long until the season starts. I can wait.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Driving the Han Yan Fan Van
    Posts
    8,854
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Yazmeen View Post
    Isn't the point of this camp, though, to be for the skaters and for them to get feedback at least somewhat privately on their programs? If so, I can see why the press and fans aren't allowed to view these skates. And if I were a skater, I think I'd prefer to keep this a non-fan event since it's really a work and enrichment week, not a series of exhibitions. Having this open to fans could be a potential nightmare for some very popular skaters (kwanatic, not picking on you or your board name, but imagine a Champ's Camp with MK or Sasha present during their heyday and fans allowed access. That could turn crazy pretty quickly).
    No, no, no, the point of Champs Camp is to do silly team-building activities!!
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Age
    52
    Posts
    10,256
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    10899
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    I think Ice Network should cover Champs Camp more thoroughly. I'm talking about more interview segments and videos of the test skates (or at least open it to the public like Russia does). If they open up that aspect of the sport they may be able to attract more people.
    Attract more people how? I can see how providing coverage of an off-season preparatory event like this would intensify the investment of fans who are already considerably invested in following the sport of figure skating. I.e., attract the same people more strongly.

    But I can't see how it would attract anyone new to following the sport in the first place. Especially not through IceNetwork, which is not a media source that reaches anyone who doesn't already make some effort to follow figure skating.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    3,081
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    2109

    2013 Champs Camp news & social media coverage (for U.S. Grand Prix skaters/te...

    delete

  10. #10
    U.S. Ice Dance Junkie
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Shamelessly fangirling
    Age
    38
    Posts
    5,643
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1686
    Quote Originally Posted by judiz View Post
    Does not attending Champs Camp mean a skater will not be competing this season?
    No, only skaters assigned to a Grand Prix event are invited to Champs Camp.
    My Blog - Author & Figure Skating Fanatic
    LIFE ON THE EDGE - my skating novel
    EDGE OF THE PAST - the sequel
    FIGHTING FOR THE EDGE - the final book in the trilogy
    ****CROSSING THE ICE - new book coming Fall 2014!****

  11. #11
    Recovering from the Olys
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    28,402
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    17757
    Latest tweets:

    @SammiCesario:
    Last minute packing. Colorado Springs in the am.. cant wait to see everyone! Xo #champscamp

    @MaiaShibutani:
    Made it to Colorado Springs w/ @Meryl_Davis @CharlieaWhite @MarissaCastelli @SimonShnapir + @AlexShibutani! #ChampsCamp #2013TravelBuddies

    @CharlieaWhite:
    Whattup Colorado Springs?! Ready for champs camp and altitude! http://instagram.com/p/dN0qtdMTwb/

    @Evan_Bates:
    Heading to #ChampsCamp alongside @chockolate02. In the inspiring words of Olympic champ @ryanlochte, "#Jeah!!!"

    @felicia_zhang (who left Florida before 4am!):
    We made it! @NateBartholomay #teamusa #OTC #ChampsCamp http://instagram.com/p/dM5ZsnBA3I/

    @christina_gao:
    He's thinking of getting "Bigfoot, the Bashful Yeti" statue. What do you think? @rossminer #ChampsCamp #travelbuds http://pic.twitter.com/JjpxqyjqcW
    Last edited by Sylvia; 08-20-2013 at 03:39 AM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Driving the Han Yan Fan Van
    Posts
    8,854
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Latest tweets:
    @christina_gao:
    He's thinking of getting "Bigfoot, the Bashful Yeti" statue. What do you think? @rossminer #ChampsCamp #travelbuds http://pic.twitter.com/JjpxqyjqcW
    That's pretty much the perfect summary of SkyMall's offerings. . .
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    213
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    From https://www.facebook.com/pages/Madis...42724?fref=ts:

    Madison Hubbell & Zachary Donohue
    Hace 6 horas
    Off to Champs Camp! We're packed and ready to go!! Looking forward to seeing everyone, and showing our new short and free dances. We love them, and can't wait to put them out there.
    Going to be a full week!!

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    123
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    Thanks Sylvia! You're always on it!

    I think Ice Network should cover Champs Camp more thoroughly. I'm talking about more interview segments and videos of the test skates (or at least open it to the public like Russia does). If they open up that aspect of the sport they may be able to attract more people.

    That said I'm excited to "hear" about how the test skates went seeing as we'll probably never get to actually see them.
    I wish this was true. I do not get how come it is secret when most have already performed? IT also would be great for the athletes to have an audience..I would travel there !!! Does anyone know why it is so"secret"?? Also one of my favorite pair teams is getting an award... Just don't get why you can't watch anything you miss out on one of the most important part..the audience reaction to the program and costumes etc...

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    4,802
    vCash
    289
    Rep Power
    16746
    We all know what we're most looking forward to out of Champs Camp, don't we?

    ANOTHER SHIBSIBS VIDEO!

  16. #16

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    in Yuna bubble everafter
    Posts
    4,889
    vCash
    465
    Rep Power
    34540
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    We all know what we're most looking forward to out of Champs Camp, don't we?

    ANOTHER SHIBSIBS VIDEO!
    TOO TRUE

    Just seeing this thread is making me exited, GO US SKATERS THE CHAMPS yay

  17. #17
    Briber of judges
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    near St Louis
    Posts
    15,864
    vCash
    2574
    Rep Power
    15299
    No Lynn and Logan. I guess this means they won't get the TBA spot at Skate America.
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

  18. #18

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    8,575
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by peibeck View Post
    No Lynn and Logan. I guess this means they won't get the TBA spot at Skate America.
    Sad.

  19. #19
    Recovering from the Olys
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    28,402
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    17757
    Or maybe a decision will be made after Champs Camp - no need to make assumptions at this point.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

  20. #20
    Briber of judges
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    near St Louis
    Posts
    15,864
    vCash
    2574
    Rep Power
    15299
    Haven't you learned by now that I'm a snarky pessimist, Sylvia?
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •