vCash

37 pilgrims killed in India by a train; driver beaten by the mob

This is very sad. While I feel really bad for the pilgrims that lost their lives and their families, shouldn't everyone know that sitting on railway tracks in dangerous? It was an express train and it was not going to stop at that station. People normally know that in advance. The train driver was given clearance, so how can he be at fault? He saw the people sitting on the tracks but unless he had advance warning of people sitting on the tracks, there is no way he would have slowed down enough to be able to stop in time. The whole thing is just sad, and the result of ignorance.

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2...-in-india?lite
    Last edited by Vash01; 08-19-2013 at 05:01 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    While I feel really bad for the pilgrims that lost their lives and their families, shouldn't everyone know that sitting on railway tracks in dangerous?
    Yes, but it does not seem to be the case in India (and quite a few other countries as well).

It was an express train and it was not going to stop at that station. People normally know that in advance. The train driver was given clearance, so how can he be at fault?
    I agree. The article states "Railway official Arunendra Kumar said the train was not supposed to halt at Dhamara Ghat and had been given clearance to pass through the station. However, some pilgrims waited on the tracks thinking they could stop the train, he said." So, who's to blame?!!!

The whole thing is just sad, and the result of ignorance.
    Indeed.