Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Satisfied skating fan
    vCash

Free online archaeology course

https://www.coursera.org/#course/secrets

This is a free online course for people interested in learning about archaeology and archaeologists. Taught by Susan Alcock at Brown University.

What a great idea. I hope she gets a lot of buzz.

If you're interested in other free online courses https://www.coursera.org/#courses?or...n&cats=biology
    Last edited by rfisher; 05-14-2013 at 09:34 PM.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

vCash
    OK - you talked me into it I signed up. Hopefully it will give me a new appreciation for the earth.

vCash
    Signed up. Thank you so much, this sounds amazing, and I've always wanted to learn more about this subject!

And I have bookmarked this website. Thanks again

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by numbers123 View Post
    OK - you talked me into it I signed up. Hopefully it will give me a new appreciation for the earth.
    I'm not certain how much you'll learn about the earth, but you should gain a perspective about the people who inhabit it. I'm tempted to do it even having a PhD in archaeology. I have already read the recommended readings.

vCash
    Did you particularly like the main book recommended? I'm not usually a big fan of most textbooks, but I have found some that I liked in certain classes and subjects.

vCash
    Signed up. Maybe I'll do better with actually doing this course than I have the history courses I've tried in the past.

vCash
    I signed up! I'm excited!

If I got to do college all over again, I'd take more anthropology, archaeology, and geography classes. Perfect mix of social science and hard science.
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by michiruwater View Post
    Did you particularly like the main book recommended? I'm not usually a big fan of most textbooks, but I have found some that I liked in certain classes and subjects.
    The Renfrew and Bahn book is the standard text for an intro to archaeology course. It's good. Colin Renfrew is a British archaeologist and is a theorist. The text discusses some of the theoretical models but doesn't get bogged down in them because they know this book is not intended for an advanced theory and methods class. My undergrad degree is biology and I'd never had an archaeology class when I went to grad school. I was given this text to read and then was given a test on the book to essentially comp out of the undergrad archaeology class. I passed.

Maybe I should sign up if all of you are. I could do it under an assumed name. Just in case she checks.
    Last edited by rfisher; 05-15-2013 at 01:34 AM.

vCash
    I love Cousera (though no time to do this one, as I'm currently doing three Coursera courses at the moment!)

Liberal Furry
    vCash
    It sounds really interesting, and I would sign up, but I'm away for 2 weeks in July, and I'm not sure if it would work (although for one of those weeks I'd be studying at Oxford University!). What are the logisitics of the course? Can you do a catch-up at your own pace? I can't find it out on the website.

O screw it, I signed up anyways. I'll find time at Oxford- not so sure about the second week while I'm hiking on Dartmoor, but I'll figure something out.
    Last edited by cygnus; 05-15-2013 at 01:44 AM. Reason: changed my mind
    I know. But I do not approve. And I am not resigned.
    (Edna St Vincent Millay)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    The Renfrew and Bahn book is the standard text for an intro to archaeology course. It's good. Colin Renfrew is a British archaeologist and is a theorist. The text discusses some of the theoretical models but doesn't get bogged down in them because they know this book is not intended for an advanced theory and methods class. My undergrad degree is biology and I'd never had an archaeology class when I went to grad school. I was given this text to read and then was given a test on the book to essentially comp out of the undergrad archaeology class. I passed.

Maybe I should sign up if all of you are. I could do it under an assumed name. Just in case she checks.
    Thank you! I'll look around to see if I can find a place where I can afford it Much appreciated!

Liberal Furry
    vCash
    I signed up for the Beethoven Piano Sonata course starting in September too.
    I know. But I do not approve. And I am not resigned.
    (Edna St Vincent Millay)

Reality TV's Bytch
    vCash
    Damn you rfisher! These free online courses sound so interesting but I don't know if I'll have the time to devote to them. Can these be done via iPad? The Fantasy and Science Fiction course sounds good.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    I know. I've got my year planned out. A couple of these global health classes will be incorporated into my two senior level classes in the fall. Somebody else gets to find all the resources for me. In fact, I may just require the students to register for one of these.

I just signed up for the history of rock music class.

Beach Bum
    vCash
    I signed up too! Beats watching reality TV. Was thinking about the rock one too!
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tesla View Post
    Damn you rfisher! These free online courses sound so interesting but I don't know if I'll have the time to devote to them. Can these be done via iPad? The Fantasy and Science Fiction course sounds good.

A friend took the Fantasy and Science Fiction course last time around and really enjoyed it; she highly recommends it. (She also took the ModPo class and really, really recommends that one.) I'm doing the Greek and Roman Mythology one again; I'm not doing the quizzes or anything, just doing the reading. I got behind last time and I'm behind again this time. There is so much I want to read and I seem to have less and less time.

vCash
    I just signed up for the History of Rock Music Pt 1! And that Fantasy and Science Fiction is very tempting. What a great site. Thanks rfisher.

vCash
    I signed up to take The Camera Never Lies. It looks really cool.

vCash
    I'm taking the archaeology class. My cousin is an archaeologist and I've taken an actual introduction to archaeology course. It sounds like a lot of fun.

I signed up for a few last year but had to drop them with the new baby and everything. Mythology and whatnot.

I am also signed up for a class on gaming as a sort of literary device. I forget the title of it.

vCash
    Classmates! *high five*

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast