Page 44 of 48 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 ... LastLast
Results 861 to 880 of 952
  1. #861

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    666
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0

  2. #862

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    29,628
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    42893
    Plushenko’s Rival Kovtun Keen to Duel for Olympic Place (in English): http://en.rsport.ru/other_sports/201...702175091.html
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

  3. #863

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    5,303
    vCash
    289
    Rep Power
    41317
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Plushenko’s Rival Kovtun Keen to Duel for Olympic Place (in English): http://en.rsport.ru/other_sports/201...702175091.html
    Tarasova's PR machine is very effective. Now all anyone talks about is it's either Plushenko or Kovtun. It's like the other Russian men are all invisible!

  4. #864
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Age
    30
    Posts
    4,972
    vCash
    1670
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    Tarasova's PR machine is very effective. Now all anyone talks about is it's either Plushenko or Kovtun. It's like the other Russian men are all invisible!
    At least GPs they have invisible, the performance of both Vornov and Menshov was forgettable at best.

  5. #865
    Loving on babies!
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Twin heaven!
    Posts
    11,727
    vCash
    1570
    Rep Power
    42026
    and yet, Voronov at least had medaled in two international senior "B" events prior to his one GP appearance. But yes, Tarasova's PR machine has not lost steam.

    (hoping Menshov kicks ass at RC so that at least there is some mention of another decent Russian skater)
    I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally.~W. C. Fields

  6. #866

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    5,303
    vCash
    289
    Rep Power
    41317
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasey View Post
    and yet, Voronov at least had medaled in two international senior "B" events prior to his one GP appearance. But yes, Tarasova's PR machine has not lost steam.

    (hoping Menshov kicks ass at RC so that at least there is some mention of another decent Russian skater)
    + 1

    Dream RC podium: Menshov, Gachinski, Farris. And Tarasova would be spewing if that ended up happening.

  7. #867
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Riga, Latvia
    Posts
    1,331
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    + 1

    Dream RC podium: Menshov, Gachinski, Farris. And Tarasova would be spewing if that ended up happening.
    I understand you, but I think it's too early to write Fernandez off completely because of one unsuccessful competition.
    Last edited by lauravvv; 11-22-2013 at 01:50 AM.

  8. #868

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    5,303
    vCash
    289
    Rep Power
    41317
    Quote Originally Posted by lauravvv View Post
    I understand you, but I think it's too early to write of Fernandez completely because of one unsuccessful competition.
    I don't mean to write off Fernandez, but I just don't love him as much as the three mentioned. After all, it is a DREAM podium.

  9. #869
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Age
    30
    Posts
    4,972
    vCash
    1670
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasey View Post
    and yet, Voronov at least had medaled in two international senior "B" events prior to his one GP appearance. But yes, Tarasova's PR machine has not lost steam.

    (hoping Menshov kicks ass at RC so that at least there is some mention of another decent Russian skater)
    Kovtun was actually the one to win a medal at the GP event this year. As for Menshov, he narrowly beat Vornov to not finish last at his last GP outing. Even if Tarasova is politicking for Kovtun, Kovtun did win silver in his last GP event.

  10. #870
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    52
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Kovtun is Russia's only hope to get a single man to GPF. Usual scheme is to let judges put the other two Russians as low as they want, so that they give the guy higher GOE and PCS.
    But funnily enough, despite of Tarasova's propaganda, the others just don't give a damn. Voronov is all "my new coach, oh she's so wonderful", Gachinski is all "my programme, my precious", Menshov is all "no way I stop now". You read their interviews and suddenly there's someting else in the world besides Sochi. Strange people, why don't they write themselves off and go cry on the graves of their careers?

  11. #871
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    11,184
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    It's honestly just between Kovtun and Plushenko for the sole Sochi spot, no?

  12. #872
    I <3 Kozuka
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Vancouver/Seattle
    Posts
    19,199
    vCash
    730
    Rep Power
    43906
    The Team Event spot is honestly Plushenko's as long as he can stand on two legs, no?
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

  13. #873
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    52
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    It's honestly just between Kovtun and Plushenko for the sole Sochi spot, no?
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    The Team Event spot is honestly Plushenko's as long as he can stand on two legs, no?
    Drop the word "honestly"

  14. #874
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Age
    33
    Posts
    1,616
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by navire View Post
    Kovtun is Russia's only hope to get a single man to GPF. Usual scheme is to let judges put the other two Russians as low as they want, so that they give the guy higher GOE and PCS.
    But funnily enough, despite of Tarasova's propaganda, the others just don't give a damn. Voronov is all "my new coach, oh she's so wonderful", Gachinski is all "my programme, my precious", Menshov is all "no way I stop now". You read their interviews and suddenly there's someting else in the world besides Sochi. Strange people, why don't they write themselves off and go cry on the graves of their careers?


    I do feel sorry for all three - Voronov for being denied the chance in 2010 (I mean, where did Borodulin go after Vancouver!); Gachinski for losing much love from the authorities so quickly after bad performances in Nice; and Menshov, well, for never making the world team (and for being left out of the European team last year of course ... we've heard so much about that).

    But I certainly respect them all - Voronov for his perseverance and being able to "sort his head out" and being a solid competitor most of the time; Gachinski for improving his artistry and style; and Menshov for not giving up in spite of being an old man.

    I have to add though that Kovtun is (as far as this season is concerned anyway) living up to the hype. In a way, it's no fault of his own that he gained all the love from the Federation as a result of being Tatiana's star pupil (and pet). And while I think Kovtun does need a LOT of improvements in different areas, it does make sense, at this point in time, to send him to Sochi (if Plushy doesn't make it).

    But then again, Plushy may decide to go anyway so this Kovtun, Gachinski, Menshov and Voronov can all sit in front of their TVs next February.

  15. #875

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Perth, ON
    Posts
    473
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    2212
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    The Team Event spot is honestly Plushenko's as long as he can stand on two legs, no?
    This is one of the most interesting aspects of this team event going into the Olympics - the competition itself is a joke - if I understand the rules properly the Russians have one spot for the men's event at the Olympics and so they have to have the same skater skate both segments of the team event and then skate the individual event. But they can name alternates - so if Plushenko is named to the Russian team could he really skate four times in competition in less than two weeks? does Plushenko skate the team event as a favour to him by the Russian Federation and then pull out of the individual event because of injury? - which would be easy to back up, or does Kovtun skate the Team Event and then withdraw to allow Plushenko to skate the individual event? - and will the ISU/IOC allow these switches to happen?

  16. #876

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Quadland
    Posts
    6,297
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    3358
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingguy View Post
    This is one of the most interesting aspects of this team event going into the Olympics - the competition itself is a joke - if I understand the rules properly the Russians have one spot for the men's event at the Olympics and so they have to have the same skater skate both segments of the team event and then skate the individual event. But they can name alternates - so if Plushenko is named to the Russian team could he really skate four times in competition in less than two weeks? does Plushenko skate the team event as a favour to him by the Russian Federation and then pull out of the individual event because of injury? - which would be easy to back up, or does Kovtun skate the Team Event and then withdraw to allow Plushenko to skate the individual event? - and will the ISU/IOC allow these switches to happen?
    It would be great if someone could ask this to someone invovled in writing the rules! Plushenko needs major rest time after he competes every time! Maybe a little surgery after each time!

  17. #877
    I <3 Kozuka
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Vancouver/Seattle
    Posts
    19,199
    vCash
    730
    Rep Power
    43906
    The rules are clear: if a country enters the TE, and has one skater for a discipline, that skater is expected to do bith the TE and the individual event. Each team can enter substitutes by the 27 Jan 14 date, who don't get Olympic housing unless they are called to sub. (I don't remember if the same is true of credentials.)

    There can be substitutes, just as Emily Hughes substituted for Michelle Kwan in Torino. Substitutes aren't limited to disciplines where there are only one entry. Any athlete can get hurt in official practice, come down with a sudden flu or food poisoning, or trip off a curb walking down the street. It could happen before, during, or after the TE or before or during the individual event.

    What isn't published is by what date/triggering event substitutions can be made. Russia will enter substitutes for their athletes. If Plushenko is in no shape to skate after the TE, he can withdraw from the individual event. If the withdrawal is by the deadline, a substitute will take his place in the individual event.

    What he couldn't do as the single skater in his discipline is be entered in the Men's spot, and refuse to skate the TE, with Russia entering the TE with Dance, Pairs, and Ladies. Then he'd be barred from participating in the individual event, which does not apply to his situation: if he had only wanted to skate the individual event, then Russia could stage a Gutsu and have the TE man be injured and Plushenko would step in as alternate.

    I assume the Russian Fed learned from its mistake of having submitted his name as a participant in 2010 Worlds, instead of listing him as a substitute, and letting him decide right before the deadline if he wanted to skate and swapping out a participant, which would have avoided the whole suspension thing.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

  18. #878
    Banned Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    142
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    This Team Event is so much horseshit. I bet over half involved don't really feel up for it anyway, but of course they can't say anything about it.

  19. #879
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,467
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0

  20. #880
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,467
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Finally a promising new Partnership for Nodari Maisuradze
    they finished 5th in CoR

    Antipova / Maisuradze FS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hAD7SV6NFA
    with a quadruple twist

Page 44 of 48 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •