Page 24 of 48 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Surprised and touched by Lipnitskaya's lp performance, such sincere and natural interpretation. SHE'S MY CUP OF TEA. Just love the innocent look on her face. But given the fact that Tuktamysheva got higher marks on P/E and Interpretation, it seems that those judges still prefer those exaggerated gestures and frantic eyes.

vCash
    Lipnitskaia has the best facial expression in the program. Beginning and end.

I wonder if what Menshov did in his skate and the big pause and not stopping reflects the new rule of minus 5 points. Because he abandoned a spin and jump but didn't stop or anything and then just finished with things not so potentially damaging to the shoulder.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyedwards View Post
    Lipnitskaia has the best facial expression in the program. Beginning and end.
    She didn't do lots of stop-and-posing in the middle and the camera didn't focus on her face, so it's hard to capture her facial expression in the middle of the program. But you can see her fluid and beautiful movements in the middle and it seems her SS improved a lot. I think the girl has acting talent, maybe she should try more dramatic programs in the future.

On Artur Gachinski's BANDWAGON (thanx l'etoile!)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    *le sigh* THE ARTISTE of Russian Men's Figure Skating! He is so beautiful and truly understands the meaning of musical phrasing. The jumps he did manage to land cleanly were delicious! GO ARTUR, You can do it!
    ITA!!!

I agree about the musical phrasing...didn't hurt that he studied the ballet for inspiration!!

I adore this program..but I'm still concerned about the no-credit step sequence in the short..I mean, Jeff Buttle choreographed this piece..I cannot think that he doesn't understand using the entire ice surface!! Is it REALLY that he didn't use the ice surface to the max that resulted in NO credit????
    It looked wonderful to me!!

Edit: I just had a look at the protocols, but could not find the explaination. I can only assume that Casey is right. Jeffery Buttle and Alexei Mishin HAVE to know that you cannot cut off at least a fourth of the rink on either side of what appeared to be a straight line step sequence (???) and still get credit for the thing. Looking at what could be done to fix it and retain the musicality and character of the piece..it won't be easy. Artur will just have to make some REALLY BIG moves during this element!

Well, we'll see at Skate America...cannot wait to see this!!

I am completely in love with his FS, and with his BRONZE medal finish here! Now, it's off to SkAm and lets win there!!
    Last edited by Triple Axel; 10-07-2013 at 02:32 AM. Reason: SPELLING/TYPING!

vCash
    I must watch Artur's FS after reading your fabulous post, Triple Axel!

But for now am reading this forum before I check out the K&C.

vCash
    Adelina carried the Olympic flame today!

“It’s a part of the Olympics here and I can feel that Sochi Games are very close,” Sotnikova said after running with the torch. “I’m eager to go there and represent Russia. The preparation is going well and I hope it will even get better.”
    Sotnikova ran on the second day of the record 65,000-kilometer relay. Her leg of the relay took place in Moscow's Victory Park, which is dedicated to World War II.
    “It’s a miraculous feeling, I can’t really describe my feeling as I hold this torch and run the relay,” she said.
    http://instagram.com/p/fN1jejNVsv/

vCash
    ^^^ Thanks! I posted a photo of torchbearer Irina Slutskaya in the Olympic Torch relay thread in the 2014 Olympics forum: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...-on-Feb-7-2014
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    OMGosh this is such an inspiring article, thanks so much for posting it, morqet!

It really makes me feel like the Olympics are here, right now within our grasp. And I had tears in my eyes reading Irina Slutskaya's words; the greatest Russian female figure skater. Such support and patriotism for the men in particular. Makes me think and hope and wish (crossing fingers) that mayhap Zhenya will be the one to light the Olympic Cauldron...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Eislauffan View Post
    (Artur Gachinski) No wonder, as his choreographer Juri Smekalov danced the role of Vronski in the Anna Karenina ballet. So you probably saw Smekalov dancing?

More on Smekalov here on the Mariinski Theatre's website: http://www.mariinsky.ru/company/ball...yuri_smekalov/

I really liked Gachinski's program the first time I saw it during the training camp in Italy. I believe it has huge potential.
    Oh. Wow. Yes, that was him, Smekalov. Thanks for the info. I also went to his own ballet Wash'em'clean in Bolshoi, that was something crazy... just the right guy for Gachinski

I watched the program. It was obvious it wasn't easy for Gachinski, he got tired, but still obstinately kept many balletic features. I guess this choreo looks strange if one isn't familiar with the stuff All of the sudden I thought he could make a good ballet dancer.

He is a non-Olympic class of skater, but he is not afraid of being misunderstood and interpreting things the way he likes, not the way people expect it to be done, and that bravery deserves some respect.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by navire View Post
    Oh. Wow. Yes, that was him, Smekalov. Thanks for the info. I also went to his own ballet Wash'em'clean in Bolshoi, that was something crazy... just the right guy for Gachinski

I watched the program. It was obvious it wasn't easy for Gachinski, he got tired, but still obstinately kept many balletic features. I guess this choreo looks strange if one isn't familiar with the stuff All of the sudden I thought he could make a good ballet dancer.

He is a non-Olympic class of skater, but he is not afraid of being misunderstood and interpreting things the way he likes, not the way people expect it to be done, and that bravery deserves some respect.
    I think he IS Olymic Class, somehow. I have always seen the potential in him. Otherwise, ITA with everything you said! He fights for his programs, and I always laugh and absolutely ADORE hearing how very WRONG I was in interpreting his programs!! He thinks SO FAR out of the box-and I LOVE that! His free skate is full of promise, and as soon as he finds a way to ammend his SP (especially that footwork sequence he got NO points for), he is in with a chance. I love Voronov..truly I do. The man is a fighter. But this years free has nothing between the (fantastic) jumps..Gachinski prefers a little bit of meat in the sandwich-a little more substance. And as for his tumble on the quad in Finland?? He fell THREE times as beautifully as Patrick Chan on a FOUR FALL day!! Artur wasn't flying that day. He was falling with STYLE!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple Axel View Post
    I think he IS Olymic Class, somehow. I have always seen the potential in him. Otherwise, ITA with everything you said! !
    ?? There's no debate, Gachinski is a world bronze medalist. He's one of the best skaters in the world. I am so confused by his demise. He burst onto the scene with a world bronze,then barely missed out on the European title...then IMPROVED choreographically. And yet, by simply having difficulty with the quad (IIRC it's the only element he actually missed at worlds), he winds up an also ran and with little hope of even competing at the Olympics. Nuts.

vCash
    His free skate is full of promise, and as soon as he finds a way to ammend his SP (especially that footwork sequence he got NO points for), he is in with a chance.
    Gachinski has the same step sequence in the long program and got credit for it in his second performance. So, whatever the problem was with that piece of footwork in the short, he got it fixed quickly.

vCash
    Let me join in the conversation re: Gachinski.

I haven't followed his career closely, but it seems:-

- he was somehow "pushed" to be the next big star in 2011 when the Worlds were held in Russia ... it was like push push push we have the next Plushy. everyone take notice!
    - in hindsight it was all a bit early for Gachinski ... since in 2012 we all know what happened. One or two bad performances at Worlds ... and then .... dropped like a stone in the rankings and presumably given a bit of hardtime by the authorities
    - in 2013 he had to try and redeem himself but by then they (Russian authorities) already had in mind (and with all that lobbying from Tarasova) that they would need to push Kovtun. Didn't help that Gachinski had some jump issues (though from what I recall, he did OK in nationals? can't remember his performances in Euros). The ENCOURAGING thing though was that by then he started to develop a better style. The Interview with the Vampire programme was quite memorable.
    -This year Gachinski still needs to work his way back up ... but I wish him all the best because he NOW HAS (in my humble opinion) the best programmes/style out of the Russian guys. The free programme is just magnificient choreographically. Love the ending pose! My only comment is that he tends to jump quite high and his jumps may lack a bit of flow out on occasion. Generally I hope he can also get "deeper" into the ice ...

So, if Plushy doesn't go to Olympics, the fight will probably be between 1) Kovtun, 2) Voronov and 3) Gachinski. I hope that whoever skates the best AND has the best overall package (which IMO Gachinski does) gets to fulfill this ultimate Olympik dream of skating in Sochi ... I'm however under the impression that there's soooooo much politics behind the scenes ............ If only we can know the truth! the whole truth!! But in many ways, it doesn't matter, I always reckon that skaters have EVERYTHING to be proud of when they improve and develop into well-rounded skaters with interesting and artistik programmes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by poths View Post
    ?? There's no debate, Gachinski is a world bronze medalist. He's one of the best skaters in the world. I am so confused by his demise. He burst onto the scene with a world bronze,then barely missed out on the European title...then IMPROVED choreographically. And yet, by simply having difficulty with the quad (IIRC it's the only element he actually missed at worlds), he winds up an also ran and with little hope of even competing at the Olympics. Nuts.
    His pcs is actually very poor and has not budged at all his seasons as a senior. His pcs is nice was actually only 3 points lower than in Moscow! His success was totally tech based so he couldn't have a problem with any jump even once! No margin for error.

vCash
    Menshov's new SP http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zabzHQjRt-8

Other SP video's (Gachinsky, Liza, etc) from todays Panin Memorial posted in Kiss n Cry!

ETA Menshov's music is Coultergiest by Phil Coulter.
    Last edited by DobrinFan; 10-12-2013 at 02:52 AM.

vCash
    Artur landed everything, yippee!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelvster View Post
    Let me join in the conversation re: Gachinski.

I haven't followed his career closely, but it seems:-

- he was somehow "pushed" to be the next big star in 2011 when the Worlds were held in Russia ... it was like push push push we have the next Plushy. everyone take notice!
    - in hindsight it was all a bit early for Gachinski ... since in 2012 we all know what happened. One or two bad performances at Worlds ... and then .... dropped like a stone in the rankings and presumably given a bit of hardtime by the authorities
    - in 2013 he had to try and redeem himself but by then they (Russian authorities) already had in mind (and with all that lobbying from Tarasova) that they would need to push Kovtun. Didn't help that Gachinski had some jump issues (though from what I recall, he did OK in nationals? can't remember his performances in Euros). The ENCOURAGING thing though was that by then he started to develop a better style. The Interview with the Vampire programme was quite memorable.
    -This year Gachinski still needs to work his way back up ... but I wish him all the best because he NOW HAS (in my humble opinion) the best programmes/style out of the Russian guys. The free programme is just magnificient choreographically. Love the ending pose! My only comment is that he tends to jump quite high and his jumps may lack a bit of flow out on occasion. Generally I hope he can also get "deeper" into the ice ...

So, if Plushy doesn't go to Olympics, the fight will probably be between 1) Kovtun, 2) Voronov and 3) Gachinski. I hope that whoever skates the best AND has the best overall package (which IMO Gachinski does) gets to fulfill this ultimate Olympik dream of skating in Sochi ... I'm however under the impression that there's soooooo much politics behind the scenes ............ If only we can know the truth! the whole truth!! But in many ways, it doesn't matter, I always reckon that skaters have EVERYTHING to be proud of when they improve and develop into well-rounded skaters with interesting and artistik programmes.
    ITA with absolutely everything you have said here! Shoved out on the ice VERY early and touted as 'the next Plushenko" by his coach, and any other concerned citizens, Artur never really had a chance to climb up the ladder to peak at the RIGHT moment! He was SHOVED up the ladder, and when he didn't do as well as expected, his fall was equally as meteoric. I think much of his true demise happened when he lost the 2012 Euros. It was the end of the innocence. Skating out of your skin, and still cannot win-no matter how you try. After Worlds 2012. RuFed basically wrote him off, gave him zero support, and he felt that waning of affection from the governing body of the sport. Not that he expected anything less, I'm sure. He's seen the carnage of skating careers before him, but he realized all of a sudden that the monster you feed is the first to turn on you. Abandoned to skating out in the ether, he tried harder to push past the demons and get back to skating. It didn't work at all last season-but he still continued with difficult programs. This is why the comment, (after Triglav last year) was very poignant:"...I think I find myself..." . Yes, bb..I think you did. And what I've seen (IMHO) emerge is a fighter with battle scars to prove it..and the guts to push past what has been, and to rise above the hype, and to WIN. I love an underdog, and Artur is certainly that. Thank you very much for your thoughts. Know that we share the same opinions regarding the very talented and spirited young man that is Artur Gachinski.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyedwards View Post
    His pcs is actually very poor and has not budged at all his seasons as a senior. His pcs is nice was actually only 3 points lower than in Moscow! His success was totally tech based so he couldn't have a problem with any jump even once! No margin for error.
    Now, however, his perfomances are NOT totally 'tech based'..there's ALOT of artistry in there. You don't get Jeff Buttle to choreograph for you if you're looking for a 'tech based' program! There new ones are full of choreo, yet his PCS scores remain low. I have discovered that, with the IJS, THAT is where you can hide your bias, and no one can question it. The fact that his PCS hasn't improved since the beginning speaks VOLUMES about how conceived ideas about a skater can follow him, although he is getting better and everyone can see it. Yet that dastardly PCS is still running the same as it had years ago. Bias still exists (and not just against Artur). It;s just disguised in the intricacy of a system that allows it moreso than the 6.0. At least, with the 6.0, there was judging accountability-people were allowed to know who you were, and to question. Now, it's all a numbers game, with a computer actually deciding which 'random' score gets dropped. So, for me, the PCS for THIS skater needs to improve. he IS better in the areas concerned.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    The computer no longer randomly choses two scores to drop: the high and low are dropped, like in diving, and the remaining scores are averaged.

"There will be a panel of 9 Judges per segment. The scores of these 9 Judges will form the result. Out of these 9 scores, the highest and lowest score of each element or program component are ignored and the average will be taken from the remainder, generating the trimmed mean (average score)."
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

Page 24 of 48 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast