Page 16 of 48 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Two places! Atlanta suburbs and in the North Georgia Mountains
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    I think the issue with Voronov is that he's never really done anything on the world stage, has he? His second at RN was great but what is his Worlds record? Gachinski may have failed at Worlds 2011, but Voronov didn't exactly shine either.
    He was 7th once at worlds that I can see. Gachinsky was 3rd once, but Voronov has done pretty decently in the Grand Prix circuit. 2nds and 3rds at Cup of China, Russia, etc. When Plushenko wasn't around, he was the best Russian. I'm just curious. I thought maybe it was because he just fell in the shadow of Plushenko, which is easy to do. But he's just never mentioned, even when Gachinsky and Kovtun and Menshov are, which doesn't make sense to me. But I'm only a casual observer. Maybe he isn't blonde enough? (Just kidding.)

vCash
    It does look quite dark.
    Because of the light. He is usual golden-blond in the other recent pics.
    Oh my, Konstantin just posted some photos on instagram that look like he got married! But as I can't quite work out how to get into instagram on my computer to link them, I'll have to leave it to someone more tech-savvy than me.
    That was his friend's wedding, not his.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by navire View Post
    That was his friend's wedding, not his.
    Thanks for the info! I can't read Russian so I wasn't sure

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Holley Calmes View Post
    He was 7th once at worlds that I can see. Gachinsky was 3rd once, but Voronov has done pretty decently in the Grand Prix circuit. 2nds and 3rds at Cup of China, Russia, etc. When Plushenko wasn't around, he was the best Russian. I'm just curious. I thought maybe it was because he just fell in the shadow of Plushenko, which is easy to do. But he's just never mentioned, even when Gachinsky and Kovtun and Menshov are, which doesn't make sense to me. But I'm only a casual observer. Maybe he isn't blonde enough? (Just kidding.)
    Yep, Maxim is blonder than him
    Sergei is doing well. Tutberidze said they learned 3Lz. He seemed very upbeat and content with himself in the interview after Perm.

vCash
    speaking of Tutberidze, she must be really proud her students won gold medals
    first Medvedeva then Pitkeev in JGP, Pitkeev's FS http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6Xkp...embedded&gl=US

I feel bad for Shelepen now

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by love_skate2011 View Post
    I feel bad for Shelepen now
    Why do you feel bad for Shelepen? It just didn't work out between her and Tutberidze. That's life. I think Shelepen will be happier without her.

vCash
    Voronov was 4th in the fs at 2008 worlds. He was all set to go to Vancouver then euros was awful and he was replaced by borodulin (now out indefinitely because of injury). Could've won Russian nationals for 2011 but had his own injuries. Came close to beating plushenko both in 2010 sp at Russian nationals and then again in 2013 overall. 2008-2009 was Russian champion! It's true internationally not much so that is why it's Gachinski!! Kovtun!!! Rather then voronov but he has a very impressive Russian nationals record.

cooking with Alexei Rogonov and Nodari Maisuradze
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyedwards View Post
    Voronov was 4th in the fs at 2008 worlds. He was all set to go to Vancouver then euros was awful and he was replaced by borodulin (now out indefinitely because of injury). Could've won Russian nationals for 2011 but had his own injuries. Came close to beating plushenko both in 2010 sp at Russian nationals and then again in 2013 overall. 2008-2009 was Russian champion! It's true internationally not much so that is why it's Gachinski!! Kovtun!!! Rather then voronov but he has a very impressive Russian nationals record.
    You also have to keep in mind that Voronov dominated Russian Mens skating during a time where there were no real contenders.
    Take Yagudin for instance. He never managed to win Russian Nats due to the depth in Mens back then. Nowadays it's really (apart from when Plushenko is there) like that that the winner is the one who makes one mistake less than the others.
    "I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine."

Bruce Lee

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Moka-Ananas View Post
    You also have to keep in mind that Voronov dominated Russian Mens skating during a time where there were no real contenders.
    Take Yagudin for instance. He never managed to win Russian Nats due to the depth in Mens back then. Nowadays it's really (apart from when Plushenko is there) like that that the winner is the one who makes one mistake less than the others.
    That domination has allowed him to stay in the mix at Russian nationals.I think there is a good will toward him but they're always looking for someone better! The pcs is very respectable. He bombed the 2011 Russian nationals sp like gachinski and they both really soared in the fs. Bush just barely beat voronov!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple Axel View Post
    I agree. But I wish they would STOP treating Gachinski like a social disease!! True, Mishin put him out there as 'the next Plushenko", which was totally unfair and a hell of a thing to live up to), but Artur is in NO way at fault for that! He had a crappy season, and learned ALOT about his beloved sport after Euros 2012, that was hard to swallow. But he choked it down after last season, and he's voraciously re-focused and ready for this season to start. I seriously smell 'comeback' here, in a major way, on his OWN terms, not trying to live up to his coach's 10 year old hype. Skating with the confidence that skating on your own terms and within limits you set for yourself, he's going to arrive, guns balzing, in Detroit. After all, how do you keep down a man who has nothing to lose?? It's apparently all-or-nothing at SA. So, Artur...let's DO this.

They bashed the crap out of Gachinski for Worlds 2012, threw the baby out with the bath water, wrote him off,....you name it. Yet Kovtun was cradled and coddled like a toddler who lost his binky...I hope this means they have learned theie lesson about how they manage skaters who don't do well. . Sad that Gachinski had to be the casualty of their learning curve.

I just think Tarosova had alot to do with the handling of her pupil. Sorry. I just don't have much faith in the Fed changing it's ways so quickly.

Just MHO...
    I don't see the fed learning from their disastrous results last year either. Even if Plushenko goes to the Olympics in 2014, he will definitely not go to worlds. So the world spot is still wide open. Who will they pick? Gachinski or Kovtun? IMO Gachinski will have to dominate the season leading up to the Olympics to reestablish himself as Russia's #1. Even then, if Kovtun has just respectable placements, the fed may still pick Kovtun over Gachinski.

vCash
    To be fair, maybe it would be better if Gachinsky has decent results throughout the season but wasn't sent to the Olympics. I think his confidence may increase if he knows he can deliver (e.g. at GP events and any other competitions) but doesn't have the expectations of "we have only one slot so you are our only hope for medal in men category". Those unrealistic expectations are 'no win' situation. If you place well, everyone 'expected' it so it is no big deal, and if you place bad, you are marked as a failure. At Europeans they have more slots so the pressure shouldn't be so bad. (although it will be because it may help to decide who is going to Olympics and worlds).

vCash
    Anyone knows what's going on with Kosygina - Moroshkin? Last season they had pretty decent results, 2nd and 2nd at JGP, 6th at JGPF, 2nd junior nationals, and 6th at junior worlds. Now they placed 4th at JGP. I expected better.

vCash
    I just looked up Ivan Volobuev's profil on this page and it lists his coaches as "former coaches" and Valeria Starygina as "former partner".
    Did he retire?
    "I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine."

Bruce Lee

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Moka-Ananas View Post
    I just looked up Ivan Volobuev's profil on this page and it lists his coaches as "former coaches" and Valeria Starygina as "former partner".
    Did he retire?
    I think he did. I saw him coaching already a few months ago. At that point he hadn't retired yet officially but they said he was done.

vCash
    It's going to be a dogfight to see whom will get that lone Olympic spot for 2014, because I guarantee you the other men are not just going to lay down & die, they're going to give Zhenya a run for his $$$! That's the best type of competition, where everybody skates their best and you win!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Eislauffan View Post
    I think he did. I saw him coaching already a few months ago. At that point he hadn't retired yet officially but they said he was done.
    NOOOOOOOOOO : he was one of the most talented Russian male ice dancers...

Bruce Lee

vCash
    Elena Radionova article before her senior international debut at Nebelhorn Trophy this week: http://www.ifsmagazine.com/articles/...r-senior-debut
    Excerpt:
    Radionova knows that many people have high expectations of her and are looking to see how she will fare against the top ladies at the senior level this season. But the cheerful teenager said that she doesn’t feel any pressure even after the stellar season she had.

“I don’t think that I am such a great athlete that won a lot. I just won the smallest one, Junior Worlds,” Radionova said. "In reality, there are competitions that are much more serious and more difficult. I don’t feel any pressure yet. I just think I have to work harder and more, because there is no limit to perfection.”
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Elena Radionova article before her senior international debut at Nebelhorn Trophy this week: http://www.ifsmagazine.com/articles/...r-senior-debut
    Excerpt:
    I like her attitude. She has the makings of a future champion.

vCash
    I remember in a interview her coach called her "dandelion"(maybe it's from her hair) or "bambi"(since she was so little and skinny). Now that "dandelion" is making her debut in the SENIOR field. Just WOW. Best wishes for her.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rosewood View Post
    I remember in a interview her coach called her "dandelion"(maybe it's from her hair) or "bambi"(since she was so little and skinny). Now that "dandelion" is making her debut in the SENIOR field. Just WOW. Best wishes for her.
    "Dandelion" is sometimes used in Russian to describe a nice, innocent, harmless person. Full set expression is "God's dandelion".

Page 16 of 48 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast