Page 10 of 48 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
    YEAH!
    vCash
    That youtube user also has press conferences... could some kind soul translate or summarize?

part 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpjPyNBNTac
    part 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pNd4irBKaE
    part 3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtZdZyfEixE

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by morqet View Post
    Excuse my ignorance, but what makes a spin a "pair spin" or an "ice dance spin"? To my uneducated eyes there doesn't seem to be much difference.

If you watch older ice dance programs (and I am having difficulty pin pointing the year- may be 2006? Earlier?), they did not have a real spin- like fast, multiple revolutions, in different positions. All they had was going around a pivot once or twice at the most at a slow speed. It was a part of the choreography, and not really meant to be a technical element. Slowly some ice dancers started incorporating pairs spins in ice dance. They have more speed, multiple revolutions, and some are directly borrowed from pairs skaters. I would rather ice dance retains its originality, and not just become pairs skating without the throws and jumps. At least for now they are not allowing overhead lifts in ice dance.

Quote Originally Posted by lauravvv View Post
    There were no spins in ice dance until quite recently (I don't remember in which year exactly they were introduced in ice dance), but they have been there for much longer in pair skating, so, what Vash01 means is that it's an element which ice dancing has "borrowed" from pair skating.
    That sums it up well. Thanks.

vCash
    Leonova's Carmen, no jumps/spins http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aY22Mh5yDA

vCash
    I like her step sequence. She is selling it. Apart of that, there is nothing much that says it is Carmen in the whole program. She could skate to anything.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    I have no problem with Pairs and Dance becoming more similar, especially since they removed the rule that forced dancers to be in hold all the time with no more than a three-second break, in either direction, but I think required elements in Dance should be skating equivalents of common elements in dance, whether it be ballroom, social, folk, modern, classical, etc. dance. A subset of footwork, lifts, turns, and holds are common dance elements across the dance spectrum. The Pairs spin, where one person is planted and both rotate at the same time is not a common dance element -- gymnastic movements are more common -- and seems to be added in order to have another marked and required element. If a Dance team wanted to add some variation of the Pairs spin to their program as a choreographic or transitional element, have at it, but I don't think it should be required any more than a backflip should.

ETA: re Leonova's "Carmen" I like the cuts. The third section, in particular, isn't used very often.
    Last edited by kwanfan1818; 09-04-2013 at 07:42 PM.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    Those cuts has been used endlessly by witt, thomas, etc and more recently v/m,,,
    I fail to see anything remotely original in that program...morozov probably spent 5 minutes doing it (and I may be too generous)

I am talking about Leonova¡s program
    Last edited by robinhood; 09-04-2013 at 11:36 PM.

vCash
    Vash01, I was joking about believing that conspiracy theory...

As for putting Dmitriev before Mishkutionok, that was terribly rude of me, ladies should come first, and I can only agree that shortened pairs names must be written in the proper order to avoid confusion! Just blame Dmitriev, he's such a larger than life character, who exhausted two different skating partners, that I always think of him first
    Touching the void.

YEAH!
    vCash
    I finally watched I&K and I am very pleased. I was worried about what a Morozov/Shpilband collaboration might bring, but so far it looks like this could be their best set of programs since 2010.

It's hard to tell about the SD with all the breaks and their backs being to the camera most of the time, but they seem to feel these rhythms much better than the last couple of years. I liked their ODs from 2009 and 2005 (they were just babies).

The FD lifts really wowed me. Huge improvements. Reminds me of V&M going into the 2008 season with much improved lifts. I assume this is Shpilband's influence cause I also thought C&L's lifts improved when they started working with him. I&K's new lifts were ambitious and for once, they seem to be integral to telling the story instead of the program stopping for the elements. I'm pleased it's straight up classical music with no remixing or weird sound effects. I wish Morozov had done a program like this for GrushGons. I really like this music for I&K and they looked elegant in the black practice costumes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Primorskaya View Post
    Vash01, I was joking about believing that conspiracy theory...

As for putting Dmitriev before Mishkutionok, that was terribly rude of me, ladies should come first, and I can only agree that shortened pairs names must be written in the proper order to avoid confusion! Just blame Dmitriev, he's such a larger than life character, who exhausted two different skating partners, that I always think of him first
    No problem. Sometimes it's hard to understand jokes, sarcasm, etc. when you are just reading.

Yes, Dmitriev is larger than life.

vCash
    Thanks for explaining, Vash01 and lauravvv

vCash
    Comments from Elena Ilinykh, Nikita Katsalapov and Nikolai Morozov have been published on allsport:
    http://www.allsportinfo.ru/index.php?id=75300
    and also on the Team Russia 2014 site: http://www.team-russia2014.ru/article/11279.html

YEAH!
    vCash
    Thanks Eislauffan!

Nikita: I will start by saying that this program put our coach Nikolai Morozov. And a prince, he is not very similar (smiles). He has more dark, black, I would say, hard style!

Disassemble the Quickstep and Foxtrot, which formed the basis of our short dance, we were helped by well-known experts in America, which is now mainly engaged in the work of the famous American show "Dancing with the Stars." By the way, their name is Lena and Nick (laughs)!
    I am guessing the female was Elena Grinenko who has worked with Shpilband's team in the past. There was a male pro named Nick Kosovich several years ago, can't think of anyone else who'd fit.

LOL google translate says Oksana Grishuk is a man with giant energy. Maybe she is the reason why I like these programs so much.

vCash
    Nick and Lena Kosovich

vCash
    Summary of their comments:

Nikita
    He enjoys the FD as much as the SD. The music is serious and powerful and the idea is not the usual stuff. He points out the new lifts.
    Morozov mounted the program. Nikita takes the role of the “evil genius” and Elena is the black swan. This program is their vision of Swan Lake. “On the ice there are two strong, difficult characters”. The final is tragic.
    He says that the summer training was very fruitful. There are less skaters now with Morozov. They analyzed their mistakes from last season and they changed their approach to their training and worked very well together, almost without quarrels. He also mentions different experts for lifts and Quickstep, Foxtrot that helped them. He really enjoyed working with Oksana Grishuk.
    They feel more ready for the season than in the past two years.

Elena
    She talks also about the summer training with the different people they worked with. It was not easy to do the new lifts on the ice.
    She missed her family and even cried to her mother on skype.
    It was important to her to contribute something to the programs. For example she insisted on doing a split jump at one point in the program.
    She said that they are not trying to transfer the ballet „Swan Lake“ on to the ice. They picked the two characters “black swan” and “evil genius”. She was watching a lot of videos and wanted to develop her own vision of the program. She is not playing the traditional black swan. She sees her role as the one of a beautiful woman in a black dress with a pure soul. On the ice, they want to express feelings, emotions and she wants to portray a black swan with a very light soul.
    Their goal is to be in top shape from the beginning of the season.

Funny enough he said that it was no problem to find the SD music while she said that it took them a very long time to choose.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    The lifts in I/K's "Swan Lake" program are gorgeous.

Quote Originally Posted by Cherub721 View Post
    There was a male pro named Nick Kosovich several years ago, can't think of anyone else who'd fit.
    He's a gorgeous dancer. He was Tatum O'Neal's partner.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    Thanks for the translation!

vCash
    There were supposed to be some open test skates in Russia at the beginning of September, or am I mistaken? Any videos?

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    2 articles in English:

Nikolai Morozov's group: http://voiceofrussia.com/2013_09_05/...classics-0316/

Volosozhar/Trankov interview: http://rbth.ru/arts/sport/2013/08/31...chi_29387.html
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Plushenko, Gachinsky practicing jumps in Sochi: http://instagram.com/p/d2RPdyMOHy/ Can you tell one from another?

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Excellent news for Gachinski if he's indistinguishable from Plushenko when jumping.

Page 10 of 48 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast