Page 40 of 48 FirstFirst ... 303839404142 ... LastLast

Planning? No, no. Let's keep it suicidal.
    vCash
    Hmm, actually is Leonova eligible? No idea if she's in the usual sport university classes, but she is in the right age bracket at least. Universiades were more on par with Senior B's (don't think they even had min score requirements in the past).

eta: How are the # of spots determined? quiqie mentioned 3 spots for Russia, but Artemieva was 10th in 2011?

http://www.isuresults.com/results/wu2011/CAT002RS.HTM
    Last edited by ioana; 11-08-2013 at 09:51 PM.

vCash
    Each country gets 3 spots in all categories:

PARTICIPATION IN ATHLETES
    Men's Individual: Each NUSF (National Federation of University Sport) may register a maximum of three athletes
    Women's individual: each NUSF (National Federation of University Sport) may register a maximum of three athletes
    Couples: every NUSF (National Federation of University Sport) may register a maximum of three pairs
    Ice dancing: each country may enter a maximum of three pairs
    In case the number of members for the individual test men and women exceeds 30 units, the Technical Committee of FISU may decide to reduce the maximum limit for the country to two male and female athletes. Winners of medals in Erzurum in 2011 will have the opportunity to participate in races without being considered in the quota provided for each country.
    figure skating universaide site http://www.universiadetrentino.org/i...ggio-artistico

Planning? No, no. Let's keep it suicidal.
    vCash
    ^Aa, that makes sense. Thanks!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ioana View Post
    Hmm, actually is Leonova eligible? No idea if she's in the usual sport university classes, but she is in the right age bracket at least. Universiades were more on par with Senior B's (don't think they even had min score requirements in the past).
    The question shouldn't be if Leonova is eligible, but if she would be better choice than Biryukova.

To be fair, Leonova did skate better at the SP than I expected. However, from the last worlds I remember that she was landing toe jumps, it was the edge jumps (loop, Salchow and axel) that she couldn't land to save her life. In the SP today she was doing toe-toe and flip, so again toe jumps. She can get away with that in the SP, but she will be seriously limited in the FS if she will avoid the edge jumps or mess them up. Oh well, we will see tomorrow!

vCash

vCash
    Love the najinski part! It's so striking. Reminded me totally of his peak performance -Russian nationals 2004.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyedwards View Post
    Love the najinski part! It's so striking. Reminded me totally of his peak performance -Russian nationals 2004.
    He is fantastic..... given he is just few months out of a back surgery, in pain, taking 4 pain shots a day.

here are his interviews in Russian mentioning that. He sais he is hurting and can't skate without shots.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3FUr...RtkybqpmZIn5kQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGS1i...RtkybqpmZIn5kQ

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DobrinFan View Post
    at the music cuts.

With the back to back spins and all the posing in between, he spends a full minute hovering around center ice.

Can't fault him much on the jumps though.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    I expect him to WD from ROC if he's got all the necessary scores. He will need to do Russian nationals, probably skip Europeans and save it for those 4 skates in Sochi. Although, I suspect Russia would have no problems with him skipping Nationals. He doesn't really need it either since they can send whomever they want to Sochi.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

vCash
    Gorgeous!

I had some trouble recognising the music though. I didn't get the opening, then there was Tosca, the Godfather, Nijinsky...I didn't recognise the next part...then it was back to Tosca, and I didn't recognise the ending.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by casken View Post
    at the music cuts.

With the back to back spins and all the posing in between, he spends a full minute hovering around center ice.

Can't fault him much on the jumps though.
    You summed up some of my thoughts exactly!!!

2nd (better?) video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6ni6gOLbrU

vCash
    I hope he withdraws from everything till Sochi, i m afraid of the screws getting loose.
    Are there almost all skaters doing the same, waiting for the second half to release all the jumps? Well he learnt to do it too. Five jumps after half mark
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    Gorgeous!

I had some trouble recognising the music though. I didn't get the opening, then there was Tosca, the Godfather, Nijinsky...I didn't recognise the next part...then it was back to Tosca, and I didn't recognise the ending.
    The opening, it is St Peterburg 300, then Godfather, Nijinski, Tango Roxanne, Tosca (the Marton version), I think Adagio at the very end with a guitar of something else.

YEAH!
    vCash
    A 3/5 layout from Plushy with 3a-3t and and three jump combo in the bonus? Hell yeah. Where was that in Vancouver!? Sigh.

There's actually a nice spread on his PCS marks. From 7.00 for transitions to 10.00 for performance/execution. He says this is 80% of what he can do. I think presentation-wise he can do much better. This was basically a practice session/test skate that happened to be scored, IMO. I expect way more energy.

Level 4 steps, level 3 and 4 spins. Even if the marks were inflated, the base value 74.13 beats Chan's at SC and is behind Hanyu by about two points (he got credit for a 4sal, but he fell on it). Machida's is much higher at 80.66.

The good news is that he's competitive on base value and the judges like him and give him high PCS... and that is CoP in a nutshell.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    With TES of 88.71 in the FS, I'd say he the TES Minimums for the Olympics: it's nearly twice the 45-point minimum.

It wasn't in Vancouver because he went on a crash diet and crash training program to even get there, plus I think he took a little too much for granted given the shape he was in and still almost won another gold.

ETA: The power just went out on our block where I'm visiting in Seattle as I was trying to post this, so he must still have superpowers.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    OMG, thanks so much, DobrinFan, for the video!

I got chills watching it, like I was back in the audience at the 2010 Olympics watching him skate live, and even better, Holy Smokes! Honestly, if it's at all possible I think he skates even better, his jumps are perfection, and his passion intense. If he's skating like this already I can only imagine what it will look like come the Olympics in his homeland. But more than anything I would love to see him add an 11th National Title to his resume; he already holds the Russian record, as well as tieing 9 other men in all-time National Record Holders, but with an 11th National Title he would be on an even more select list that includes John Ferguson Page (Britain), Oliver Honer (Switzerland), and Werner Rittberger (Germany; 3-time World Silver Medalist, 4-time European Medalist, creator of the 3R jump). The all-time National Record Holder is Ivan Dinev of Bulgaria with 14 (btw he's married to Angela Nikodinov). Additionally, if Evgeni competes at Europeans and wins he'll tie Karl Schafer (Austria; 2-time Olympic Gold Medalist) with 8 European Titles (only Ulrich Salchow has more at 9; all-time Record Holder).

I've already bookmarked his FS; my favorite part is the Nijinsky one of course.

vCash
    Plushenko's programs are very basic and very empty and he is slow. Kudos to him for landing the jumps despite his numerous injuries but if judges at ISU comps give him high PCS for this...
    Last edited by Ziggy; 11-09-2013 at 09:07 AM.

Loving on babies!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by senorita View Post
    I hope he withdraws from everything till Sochi, i m afraid of the screws getting loose.
    He already has screws loose, to even contemplate still competing after all of his injuries, let alone doing it.

I have great respect for his tenacity and his commitment. The program, as usual, is another whole story....
    I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally.~W. C. Fields

vCash
    He loves to skate, what can one say, and I love to watch him skate!

sorry for the egregious comment, but I just had to, lol.

Now off to watch his FS for the umpth time.

vCash
    jumps look better than Vancouver…i'll drink the kool aid and give him respect for an amazing career, which I'm assuming the music choices are in homage to…Hope he can finish strong at home in Sochi
    Last edited by jdonavan; 11-09-2013 at 07:34 PM.

vCash
    Amazing jumps.

In between the elements it almost looked like a practice session with just plain skating. I'm assuming he will add some more CH and hip thrusts as the season progresses? I actually don't mind the music cuts...actually I think using the "best of Plushenko" is a brilliant strategy by Mr. Mishin.

Mad :respekt: to Plushenko, though. It is so good for the sport if he can skate in Sochi. A little perspective: he won junior worlds freaking 16 years ago!

Page 40 of 48 FirstFirst ... 303839404142 ... LastLast