Page 37 of 48 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherub721 View Post
    So there's no penalty for doing competitions at the same time you withdrew from a GP, like there is when you withdraw and do a show?
    Exactly! She withdrew from NHK, but is able to compete at home? Well, something is wrong about it...

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Leonova has not withdrawn from NHK: she withdrew from SC. Leonova wasn't at Worlds, so she wasn't seeded, and she wasn't a comeback skater, to which the restrictions on competing and performing elsewhere apply.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    Leonova has not withdrawn from NHK: she withdrew from SC. Leonova wasn't at Worlds, so she wasn't seeded, and she wasn't a comeback skater, to which the restrictions on competing and performing elsewhere apply.
    I thought I read in another thread rumours about her wd from NHK. Good to know they weren't true .

vCash
    Actually, she was at Worlds, but she finished 13th, so she wasn't seeded.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by quiqie View Post
    Actually, she was at Worlds, but she finished 13th, so she wasn't seeded.
    . (How soon I forget.)
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    After how Pogorilaya has laid it down at CoC, I am going to be keeping my fingers and toes crossed for her making the Olympic team. She has been very consistent since the start of last season and she's been working on her weaknesses. She deserves it.

. (How soon I forget.)
    Her 2013 Worlds performances are better best forgotten.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Her 2013 Worlds performances are better best forgotten.
    Yes. It must be hard for Leonova now, to see the new generation coming. I am not that big fan of her, but I hope she can cherish her World silver. There are many good skaters who never got that kind of achievement.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnice View Post
    Yes. It must be hard for Leonova now, to see the new generation coming. I am not that big fan of her, but I hope she can cherish her World silver. There are many good skaters who never got that kind of achievement.
    Also, she is a skater who entertained us, who made us smile and who will not be easily forgotten. Not many skaters can claim that achievement either.

Awaiting Validation
    vCash
    I wonder how many of these young Russian ladies got into skating because of Irina. These girls would have been small children when Irina skated - she probably motivated them to spur more Russians into skating.

vCash
    I wish more Russian skaters had been inpsired by Butyrskaya instead.

Also, she is a skater who entertained us, who made us smile and who will not be easily forgotten. Not many skaters can claim that achievement either.
    Much like Flatt, she definitely over-achieved given her natural abilities.

vCash
    Noooo, you guys are writing Leonova's skating obituary already. I still hold out hope she can still skate on the grand prix and make one or two more Euro/Worlds teams even if this year is likely a lost cause.

She has stated in a couple interviews she plans to keep.competing this next quadrennial.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by alchemy void View Post
    Noooo, you guys are writing Leonova's skating obituary already. I still hold out hope she can still skate on the grand prix and make one or two more Euro/Worlds teams even if this year is likely a lost cause.

She has stated in a couple interviews she plans to keep.competing this next quadrennial.
    Except competition is only going to become more intense in the coming seasons when Radionova, Medvedeva, Proklova etc become age eligible too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I wish more Russian skaters had been inpsired by Butyrskaya instead.
    This!

The 'all jumps who cares about the presentation' trend we see with so many Russian girls (I AM LOOKING AT YOU SOT AND TUK) is giving me death in my soul.

Quote Originally Posted by alchemy void View Post

Given the amount of 12 and 13 year olds doing triple-triple combinations consistently, good luck with that.

YEAH!
    vCash
    Heh, and here I remember years of commentators and skating fans talking about how much Butyrskaya sucked. (Not you guys, specifically). It's funny how perceptions change over the years. If I had been a young skater reading about Butyrskaya I would've gotten the message to do anything but be like her.

vCash
    Heh, and here I remember years of commentators and skating fans talking about how much Butyrskaya sucked. (Not you guys, specifically). It's funny how perceptions change over the years. If I had been a young skater reading about Butyrskaya I would've gotten the message to do anything but be like her.
    She is probably my favourite female skater ever. Her musicality, her maturity, her diva-ness, the passion she would always put across in her performances, her elegance - she was just stunning.

If I remember correctly, she was criticised a lot by NA posters because of her lack of flexibility.

YEAH!
    vCash
    She is probably my favourite female skater ever. Her musicality, her maturity, her diva-ness, the passion she would always put across in her performances, her elegance - she was just stunning.

If I remember correctly, she was criticised a lot by NA posters because of her lack of flexibility.
    Yeah, I guess she was more appreciated in Europe, at least from the Eurosport commentary I've heard. The NA commentators were very hard on her, not just for lack of flexibility but for the stiff knees (which was overblown, I think) and the layback spin. They never gave her any credit for her basics at all. It's such a pleasure having Dick and Peggy out. Terry and Tara have been very positive about the young Russian girls... I shudder to think of what Uncle Dick would've said. They really ruined so many skaters for me. Another thing about Butyrskaya was her SPs and Exhibitions tended to be more interesting cause she choreographed them herself, but US TV tended to show LPs more often.

vCash
    Butyrskaya was I ALWAYS preferred her to Slutskaya. And by some way.

vCash
    I would imagine the commentary for Maria was different in Russia than the commentary in America.

I actually suspect that Dick might like some of these young Russians...(I'm not sure about Julia's pendiness) but some of them are starting to look like a return of the baby ballerina's..The top 1 and 3 JGPF qualifiers are prime examples...

vCash
    Another thing about Butyrskaya was her SPs and Exhibitions tended to be more interesting cause she choreographed them herself, but US TV tended to show LPs more often.
    Case in point: Maria Butyrskaya - 2000 Worlds SP

One of the most incredible performances ever.

vCash
    ^one of my favourite SP's of all time.

Page 37 of 48 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast