Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

vCash
    I am sure Tara will up the ante in her commentating, for the Olympics- competitor that she is.

I absolutely cannot stand the Scott-Sandra combination. I may have to mute my TV if they are the commentators, or try watching other countries- if I can get those on my computer. I am sick of Scott's screaming and Sandra's horribly biased opinions. As another poster pointed out, they never took the time to learn the COP. Tara will do a decent - not great- job, I think.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    I am sure Tara will up the ante in her commentating, for the Olympics- competitor that she is.
    I don't believe there's been any word about Tara commentating for the Olympics. The OP was asking about it, but it doesn't appear that she will be -- at least not at this point. That could certainly change.

O-

vCash
    I wish wish wish they'd hire the Eurosport guys. They are awesome. In addition to having wonderful accents they don't gush excessively and they give helpful and concise commentary during the program. Also, they aren't overly biased a la Sandra and Scott. Anytime I can find a Eurosport YT video, that's the one I choose...

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    I wish wish wish they'd hire the Eurosport guys. They are awesome. In addition to having wonderful accents they don't gush excessively and they give helpful and concise commentary during the program. Also, they aren't overly biased a la Sandra and Scott. Anytime I can find a Eurosport YT video, that's the one I choose...
    i much prefer them. and if someone would put the idea out there as way of cutting expenses, we might get lucky.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by alchemy void View Post
    Tara is interesting. I loved her commentating the first year or two she started-- I thought she was a fresh voice, unbiased, an had some genuine insights. But the last couple seasons I have been unimpressed. She has been too casual, giggly, and not offering any insight. It's almost like she isn't putting any thought/preparation into it (I'm sure that isn't the case, but that is the impression she has left on me).
    ITA. She used to be really good...but lately, I feel she has been "phoning it in" so to speak...so I am no longer excited at the thought of her taking over. She can no longer be considered a proper upgrade to Bezic unfortunately.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    I absolutely cannot stand the Scott-Sandra combination. I may have to mute my TV if they are the commentators, or try watching other countries- if I can get those on my computer. I am sick of Scott's screaming and Sandra's horribly biased opinions. As another poster pointed out, they never took the time to learn the COP. Tara will do a decent - not great- job, I think.
    I'm sure that's exactly why NBC keeps them on. They like Scott's "personality" and NBC thinks (or probably knows) that the casual U.S. Olympic audience buys into Sandra's expertise. They want to create sensationalist stories to get people excited and talking about the skaters/results. They're not interested in a straight-laced figure skating competition, but a soap opera to attract audiences. The sad part is that in this competitive television environment, NBC may be right. They're not interested in education so much as entertainment. I guess they figure that even though those audiences don't necessarily carry over to Nationals and Worlds broadcasts every year, at least they'll get people interested during the Olympics. The way NBC probably sees it, those who will be interested in figure skating and become fans who may watch every year may do so in spite of (or because of) such commentary.
    Last edited by VIETgrlTerifa; 08-16-2013 at 07:41 PM.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    ita, it's like the narrative created for a reality show
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    Scott is good for the casual Olympic fan. Some viewers don't think skating is difficult or even athletic, and Scott gets them to buy into the fact that the sport is actually challenging and that there's a lot of suspense/excitement as to whether or not skaters will land jumps. I think he's annoying, biased, and doesn't really care about educating the viewer, but I understand why NBC likes him so much.

I'd love for someone to replace Sandra, but just like others have mentioned in this thread, I'm not sure Tara is the answer. I don't mind her commentary though, and it would be nice for NBC to use additional commentators in some capacity.

vCash
    Over the years, I have mostly really liked Scott and Sandra's commentary but I do agree that they are not COP savvy. I would like some more recent champions to step into the booth. I like Tara and think she would really prepare and do well. I would love to see NBC pluck Tanith to commentate ice dance. Figure skating is not the same though without Dickie B....he will always be my favorite. Terry Gannon is also a total pro.

vCash
    Unlike Scott and Sandra Tara does seem to know about the details of cop.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    peter carruthers is actually much better at explaining ijs than he is interviewing people

vCash
    They need to bring Terry Gannon! He's so much better than the usual toad NBC hires.

vCash
    In skating in particular, but in other sports as well, I just wish they'd get RID of sports commentators completely. I would much rather just sit back and watch and enjoy a routine, and listen to the music, without having to be distracted by someone TALKING, telling me what I'm already seeing.

Reality TV's Bytch
    vCash
    Paul Wylie, please. No Tara.

vCash
    Tara seems always to frame her commentary from her own personal perspective: how SHE felt when SHE skated. And I cringe every time she says "expecially"---and she says it pretty often.

vCash
    tara is okay,

i wouldn't mind it but i wondering if nbc is doing michelle vs tara thing

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateBlades17 View Post
    I read that Tara Lipinski is going to be covering the Sochi Olympics for NBC. Is that true? Does anyone know who the NBC commentators will be?
    Well I guess I can watch on mute.

I don't want an entire "when I skated" commentary, repeated references to her being the youngest gold medal winner ever and giggling

vCash
    ^^^ The OP hasn't come back in here to inform us where he/she read this. Nothing has been confirmed yet.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    It would be fascinating to have Scott & Tara in the booth at the same time given their inevitably rocky history (due to Tara's tenure at SOI) and her clearly superior knowledge of COP.
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    I'll take anyone over Scott, please. I can't stand to hear him scream and grunt through another skaters final triple jump while he reminds us over and over how hard that is to do on tired legs at the end of a program.
    Or doing an eeeeeasy double axel at the beginning, just to get her legs under her.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast