Page 17 of 77 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767 ... LastLast
    Shadow dancing
    vCash
    That is one cute dog!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spazactaz View Post
    It's definitely not off to a good start. Rang my call bell at 8 and it took until well after 9 until the nurse got here (and it also turned out to be my absolute least fav nurse here lol). I try to be understanding that they are busy with others also, but then there is the nurses aid who was doing nothing... who could have been helping me at least get ready (turned from my side onto my back) for when the nurse finally did get here... but they just are always in the biggest rush to get out of here it seems.

Here is Porki:
    https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.n...95166514_n.jpg
    https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.n...64358369_n.jpg
    Porki is gorgeous! Hope she at least was able to raise your sprints.

vCash
    Oh my gosh, Porki is adorable!!! No wonder she brightens your day

vCash
    Having spent six months in the hospital caring for my mom, I can tell you that almost nothing happens unless you ask - at times demand. Regarding your discharge home, I would hope that you've had an Occupational Therapy consult (at Foothills, if not your hometown). They will help to advocate with Home Care and get the equipment you need for care in the home. The fact that your mom is not able to provide physical care should entitle you to a fair amount of home care. And, I hate to say it... but working in health care I see it time and time again... the squeeky wheel gets the grease! Don't be afraid to ask for what you think you need! I also encourage you to seek out the support of Palliative Care if it's available in your town - great help with pain control and strong supporters of quality of life while seeking medical care. Best of luck to you. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Thunder & Lightning!!!
    vCash
    OMG...Porki is a little doll!!

I am so sorry you are having such a hard time with the care. It is so frustrating. My niece is a registered nurse and it drives her crazy to see how some nurses don't take just a few extra minutes to try to help.

After what my brother (her Dad) went thru, she decided she wanted to be a nurse to help people. She always treats people with compasion and goes out of her way to make their stay in the hospital as comfortable as possible.

I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.
    Peace & Love, Gypsy
    Even a man who is pure in heart and says his prayers by night, may become a wolf when the wolfbane blooms and the autumn moon is bright.

vCash
    Porki is very cute.

aka IceSkate98
    vCash
    Porki is totally adorable!

Spaz, what Bailey said is right. Please don't be afraid to ask for what you think you need. I was lucky to be in a nursing facility for rehabilitation that had good nurses and CNAs. I still had to ask a lot of times for what I needed because the nurses and CNAs would sometimes be in a rush to get things done. Please don't ever hesitate to ask for what you need. Still praying for you every day. <3
    Angie
    “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” ~ Thomas A. Edison

vCash
    Seconding the above comments. Jesse.
    If the staff doesn't listen to you; persist - yell, if you have to - until they do!

vCash
    Your dog is possible the cutest little thing I have seen in a very long time! No wonder she cheers you up so much!!

I'm hoping that today all your equipment got delivered and soon you will be home with all the help and care you need Jesse! Super glad to hear the day before was so good though and hoping you have lots more days like that in your future.

vCash
    In that first pic she looks like she could give the staff a talking to!
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    Porkie is adorable! Jesse, I want to aks you just how limited is your movement. At the beginning of the thread you said that you could barely walk. I did not understand that you are so weak that you cannot turn over on your own. Are you unable to do it yourself, at all? Or do you need assistance, but can help yourself, to some degree. If you cannot turn yourself at home, and your Mom is wheelchair bound, what will you do? I am really worried about this. You will need PT and OT, but it sounds like you will need someone there to help you move for, at the very least, the hours your father is not home. I cannot stress enough: make sure this is all in place to your satisfaction before you are discharged. Once you go home, rehab/step down unit options become a problem. Your case worker should be on top of all of this. I don't understand why they are sending you straight home and not to rehab/step down, to get stronger. Especially, given your situation. I hate hospitals!

vCash
    OMG, Porki is the most adorable little dog!! What a keeper.

vCash
    I am basically paralyzed up to my chest.. nipple line or so. So I can use my arms to do a bit. I have quit trying to turn myself in the nights because it just requires too much energy... but if I really needed to do it I probably could it would just take a long time. Here it's just easier to have the nurse do it.
    My lift got delivered today... so we're basically just waiting on my wheelchair now I believe.

I received quite a few cards/gifts/etc. from people here today... thank you all sooooooooooo much for everything!! I really appreciate all your support! <3

vCash
    I share the concerns that crusin has, Jesse.
    Given your current situation, make sure that the team of people needed to provide the constant care and assistance you will need, is in place before you are discharged
    This is for your own protection.

vCash
    I have to second all who tell you to ask for what you need and get an advocate, Jesse. I'm so sorry you're not getting the best of care from your nurses - its an added stress that you really don't need. It's deeply troubling to reading about your experiences with nurses, as all of us may one day be dependent on them.

vCash
    Jesse, I am so sorry you are going through all this and everything is so difficult. I hope things will improve for you when you are home, assuming of course that all the right resources are in place.

And your dog is adorable!

vCash
    Are there patient advocates in hospitals in Canada? Are there private patient advocates? Anything similar to the Medicare Quality Improvement Organizations that can intervene if discharge planning has been inadequate?

vCash
    Spaz, I just watched you skating to The Face.... WOW!!!! Porki is just so adorable. I really hope that you receive much better care soon. Still praying and sending lots of love, light, and warmth!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by barbk View Post
    Are there patient advocates in hospitals in Canada? Are there private patient advocates? Anything similar to the Medicare Quality Improvement Organizations that can intervene if discharge planning has been inadequate?
    Hospitals have social workers and there are public/community nurses who make home visits. I've also heard that having a good doctor makes a huge difference in terms of accessing resources. Here there are doctors working within a community health model and they are much more committed to patient well-being IMO than those with a strictly private practice. I think those doctors work for salary, rather than on a per patient basis, so they are willing to give patients extra time to talk about their concerns and issues.

This is in the city, though. I think Jesse is in a small town? Resources could be more limited there. But even so, I hope that Jesse can get the necessary supports, especially with the help of a family member acting as advocate.

vCash
    Jesse, Porki is just a little sweetheart! No wonder she makes you smile!

I'm glad for you that things seem to be moving for you to get home. Being in a small town hospital can really have its ups and downs...it can be harder to keep the place well-staffed, but a lot of times, the care is more personal. I hope things work out so you can get home soon,
    Haunting the Princess of Pink since 20/07/11...

Page 17 of 77 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767 ... LastLast