vCash

Meniscus surgery this week

I am having two meniscus repaired in my right knee this week. I have heard conflicting reports about recovery time from two co workers. Can anyone who has had this surgery please fill me in on what your recovery was like?

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I can not share any stories but wanted to tell you good luck!
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    I know nothing about it but also want to wish you the very best for a speedy and full recovery!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by halffull View Post
    I know nothing about it but also want to wish you the very best for a speedy and full recovery!
    Thank you Halffull and BigB08822

vCash
    Adding my wishes too...

vCash
    Best wishes for you for a totally successful surgery & recovery!

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    I've had scopes for meniscus repair on both sides of my left knee and now waiting on the first scope on my right. I *had* hoped when I took a step wrong leaving the hotel in Toronto after CSOI this year I had only pulled something. No such luck.

It all depends on what the damage they find is once they get in there. I never had to go completely non weight bearing, but did have to use crutches for a couple of weeks in order to give the knee a bit of a break. Still not easy to remember you can't put your full weight on the thing when you're allowed to use it if that makes sense.

Other than that, listen to your Surgeon and if you have to have Rehab, listen to your Physio and do what they tell you to do. Since I saw the Ortho who did my left side of my left knee and was put on his Scope List back in August, I've been doing the series of exercises I was shown to do before my first scope. That was so the muscles were in shape to handle the difference in weight bearing that was about to happen. Not sure if you were told to do anything like that, but it did help the last two times for me.

Oh and repeat after me….Painkillers are my friends!! Just because thanks to the drugs given you in the OR and afterwards have you feeling no pain, doesn't mean you don't take them. For at least two to three days I made sure I took them when I needed to, because that one day I didn't, was not fun. Everyone is different, but I found during my two scopings day four was when things started to ease off pain wise and I could start easing off the pain meds slowly. However night is always when it seems to get worse. Don't ask why, it just does for some reason.

Other than that…keep it elevated and a bag of frozen peas or corn make excellent ice bags for times like this. They seem to mould better to the knee than "normal" ice bags do.

My recoveries were pretty straight forward, but I also didn't rush things and listened to both what I was told by my Surgeon and what my own body was telling me. Do that and you'll be fine.

Good Luck and let us know how things go.

vCash
    my recovery was splendid .crutches for one day. back on my horse...limited. ..In 10 days. good luck
    DH - and that's just my opinion

vCash
    Thank you everyone for your well wishes.

vCash
    Adding my good wishes for a quick and successful recovery, judiz

vCash
    I had my left knee scoped last year. I had tears to both the medial and lateral menisci. My doctor told me that I could start putting weight on it immediately after surgery, and I even stood up from the hospital bed to put on my shoes because I wasn't thinking. (The nurse kind of had a freak out over that.) I had to keep it elevated when sitting or laying in bed for a few days, but I was okay to walk around the house and even did some light housework. I started PT two days after the surgery and shopped at the grocery store immediately after that first PT session. I was back on the ice in three weeks, but just doing stroking for 20 minute sessions; no hardcore jumping, spinning, or ice dance. I took percocet for a day or two after the surgery, but quit because it gave me weird dreams. Aleve was really all I needed for pain. Make sure you go to PT and follow their instructions to a t. It took a while to build strength back up, but a year later I don't have any problems from the original injury/surgery. Good luck!

vCash
    My daughter in mid 20s has had two ACL replacements and one meniscus repair (it tore 6 months after the 2nd ACL surgery -the stitches gave way while on a treadmill). The meniscus surgery was very simple (about 15 minutes) and recovery was quick. She was back to work as a vet tech within 4 days, which was a standing job and hurt quite a bit the first week. After one week, things were good although she had to ice her knee after work and whenever possible at work. She now snowboards avidly with no problems. I also have had ACL replacement and meniscus repair, and the recovery was much quicker that I thought it would be. I did all of the physical therapy religiously and rode an exercise bike at home which helped to get my swollen stiff knee moving. The only hindrance to full activity for a few months was the swelling, so I recommend icing your knee as much as possible for several months post surgery.

vCash
    I had menicus surgery on both knees (each one at different times). I have about 5 mm long scar (very thin and tiny), you wouldn't even notice. The second scar on the same knee disappeared completely. If I look very carefully I can just find it but not very visible at all.

I returned on the ice after three weeks. It may have been a bit too early; for the first week or two I slightly regretted it and thought about myself that I must be completely mad. I was completely shattered after the skating at first (interesting how quickly you loose your conditioning!). After a week of skating I wasn't so tired from the skating any more. It gradually built it up. For about a month after returning on the ice I was quite scared. Some mental block in my head because I tore the meniscus while skating. I was worried to do some things (completely random things, such as forward inside three turn, because I was worried that I would twist the knee the wrong way. But by practising it very slowly and concentrating on the feel of edges I managed to get the feel of it back). Ironically, what helped me a lot was a very bad fall on the knee! I was on the ice only second time, just three weeks after the surgery and I was VERY concious that I MUST NOT FALL on my knee. When you are scared, you get tense...and the probability of fall increases. I was practising back outside three turns, was tense, (the knee action was not really there, the down-up-down non existent, knee stiff), I did not turn properly, tripped over the edge and fell exactly on the knee. The pain was excruciating. After a few minutes the pain disappeared and I realised that the pain wasn't any worse than if I didn't have the surgery and fell on the knee. The pain was just about the same, disappeared after approximately the same time and I could still walk and skate. After than I somehow felt much more relaxed and that helped to get my confidence back. I didn't do any jumps for about approximately a month since getting back on the ice, but I can't honestly say whether I could or could not do them. I just went easy, gave myself time to get back the other things and only when I felt ready I started doing again jumps. Maybe if I needed, I could make myself do the jumps earlier. Not sure because I didn't try. I was happy that I was skating and did not feel the need to push it too much.

vCash
    I had the surgery this morning, am now lying on the couch with my knee elevated and an ice bag. On pain meds which are not really helping but everyone says the pain lessens with each day.

Thank you all for your well wishes and advice.

vCash
    Quick question, is it normal for the pain to radiate down my leg to the toes? I was allowed to remove the gauze and ace bandage today, the staples are now covered with band aids, no redness, no discharge.

vCash
    I don't remember whether my pain radiated to the toes. But I do remember that just before the surgery I started having problem with the other knee too. I started panicking that the meniscus on my other leg is getting bad too. Nor sure whether I overused the other leg to ease off the load off the bad leg...but as soon as my operated leg healed, my other leg suddenly stopped hurting too.

vCash
    Glad to know you are home and starting to mend. I hope the pain isn't so bad you can't sleep or rest. Thinking of you and wishing you a speedy recovery

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hanca View Post
    I don't remember whether my pain radiated to the toes. But I do remember that just before the surgery I started having problem with the other knee too. I started panicking that the meniscus on my other leg is getting bad too. Nor sure whether I overused the other leg to ease off the load off the bad leg...but as soon as my operated leg healed, my other leg suddenly stopped hurting too.

That happened to me a few times, my other knee started popping and aching, think it is from overuse.