vCash

Johnny Weir this season

I know his chances to make the Olympic team are almost as nil as Lysacek's chances to defend his Olympic Gold. However is Johnny Weir planning to compete this season still. Originally he said he was going to but he isnt listed for any B events nor any grand prixs. It would be nice to see him at Nationals one final time, even if likely in the 2nd to last group. Does he have to qualify for Nationals though if he tries?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    Does he have to qualify for Nationals though if he tries?
    Since he has no conflicting event that gives him a bye, yes, he would.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    Since he has no conflicting event that gives him a bye, yes, he would.
    Oh ok. I thought last year he had a bye and this year he might have a bye for the same reason (I forget what it was, either his 2008 World medal or being a 2010 Olympian IIRC). Well if he has to qualify probably less chance he will bother, unless there is a loophole he can get in without qualifying. I just have a feeling he might see having to qualify for Nationals as demeaning at this point.

vCash
    He may have travel commitments that prevents going to sectionals /regionals.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    I thought last year he had a bye and this year he might have a bye for the same reason (I forget what it was, either his 2008 World medal or being a 2010 Olympian IIRC).
    No, those past accomplishments don't give him an automatic bye to 2014 Nationals. Weir had a bye, on paper, to Nationals last season because Finlandia Trophy conflicted with North Atlantic Regionals in October and his 2 Grand Prix events conflicted with Eastern Sectionals in November.

If Weir plans to compete this season, Sept. 1st is the deadline to register for U.S. qualifying competitions (Regionals/Sectionals).
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyedwards View Post
    He may have travel commitments that prevents going to sectionals /regionals.
    But those commitments would have to be to competitions he is sent by USFSA. And right now, he isn't scheduled for any. A skater can't just say they are busy- no matter how big of a name he is.

----------------------
    Just a note: Todd Eldredge had to qualify from sectionals in 2001 (?), due to taking time off. Rudy Galindo qualified through Regionals the year he won his title. So it's been done before.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    There is already a Johnny Weir thread:

Johnny Weir news, quotes and articles - v.3
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    But those commitments would have to be to competitions he is sent by USFSA. And right now, he isn't scheduled for any. A skater can't just say they are busy- no matter how big of a name he is.

----------------------
    Just a note: Todd Eldredge had to qualify from sectionals in 2001 (?), due to taking time off. Rudy Galindo qualified through Regionals the year he won his title. So it's been done before.
    Weir has been talking about stuff like shows so they weren't competitions just shows or leisure.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyedwards View Post
    Weir has been talking about stuff like shows so they weren't competitions just shows or leisure.
    I posted this on another thread so it's not new news - reports from friends at Hackensack indicate that he has not been in full training mode which would be absolutely necessary if he were looking to compete for an Olympic team spot. It doesn't appear that the Olympic team is an objective.

vCash
    I will be very surprised if Weir makes it to the US nationals. IMO his time has passed. I loved his skating at one time, but he has not skated competitively in years. I don't see him making a come back. Lysacek could.

vCash
    I think he could make it through sectionals* (most men don't skate at regionals- I just looked and only two regions had events last year). He was 4th at Finlandia last year. He'll get killed at Nationals.

If he shows up...

vCash
    His PCS last season were actually quite good considering he didnt jump that well. More favorable in a way then when he left the sport. I was surprised he got 2 grand prix assignments last season, which indicated that people are more in favor of his comeback than I ever thought they would be. Who knows if that is still the case though.

Watch me move
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Willowway View Post
    I posted this on another thread so it's not new news - reports from friends at Hackensack indicate that he has not been in full training mode
    He's just trying to throw everyone off guard by pretending he isn't training
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

vCash

Johnny Weir this season

Quote Originally Posted by Willowway View Post
    I posted this on another thread so it's not new news - reports from friends at Hackensack indicate that he has not been in full training mode which would be absolutely necessary if he were looking to compete for an Olympic team spot. It doesn't appear that the Olympic team is an objective.
    I thought the reason he wasn't training was due to Galina being on vacation although by now Johnny usually released info on music or programs for the upcoming season. It would be strange though if Johnny didn't try for the team after all his tv appearances concerning what is happening in Russia.

vCash
    AFAIK, Galina has been at the rink. Not to say that she didn't take a vacation at some point but was there two weeks ago and has been there.

vCash

Johnny Weir this season

ok, then I guess we will know the answer in a few weeks.

vCash
    Does Johnny have to compete at Regionals/qualifly for Nationals this year?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leapfrogonice View Post
    Does Johnny have to compete at Regionals/qualifly for Nationals this year?
    Sylvia answered yes in post #5 in this thread.