Page 6 of 50 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueRidge View Post
    Hockey is the marquee sport of the winter Olympics? Who the hell are these people?

Canadians?
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    Right up there with Luanda, Angola.
    Sorry, I don't think that juvenile tone advances the discussion of an important matter; also just plain inaccurate.

Moscow has come into its own during the post-Soviet period to join the very expensive cities of the world - no question about that. I don't know if that it is entirely good news (she said as a New Yorker who gets priced out of many things) but it certainly is not the Moscow of the mid or late 1990's. There is a great deal that is new and shiny and different.

The question here isn't the price of top real estate in Moscow these days or that it remains an active arts center (with, btw, modern painting and sculpture enjoying a particular boom in the past few years) but rather the recognition of intrinsic human rights for all people, in Russia and everywhere else.

And yes (to the person who brought this up), Russia has an astonishing artistic tradition. I would love to know what Chekhov or Dostoevsky or Tchaikovsky would say about these issues if we could ask them. I imagine that Russia's greatest artists (many of them, not just the three I've mentioned) who are loved by the world, would support dignity and freedom as a birthright. Of course that's just my take on it.
    Last edited by Willowway; 08-17-2013 at 12:50 AM.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    I was just making the point that trumpeting a city as being expensive isn't the be all and end all. Moscow has a lot more going for it than being a dear place to live.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Willowway View Post
    Sorry, I don't think that juvenile tone advances the discussion of an important matter; also just plain inaccurate.

Moscow has come into its own during the post-Soviet period to join the very expensive cities of the world - no question about that. I don't know if that it is entirely good news (she said as a New Yorker who gets priced out of many things) but it certainly is not the Moscow of the mid or late 1990's. There is a great deal that is new and shiny and different.

The question here isn't the price of top real estate (real high!) in Moscow these days or that it remains an active arts center (with modern painting and sculpture enjoying a particulat r boom in the past few years) but rather the recognition of intrinsic human rights for all people, in Russia and everywhere else.
    One law does not define a Country or its People.
    Morry Stillwell

vCash
    Right up there with Luanda, Angola.
    No. I'm really curious, have you seen the video? Look at it!!! Or any other videos on Youtube about Msocow! Great , fantastic city, huge progress. You can't deny, what is obvious.. The problem is there are two fantastic cities, Moscow and ST. Peterburg-who was there says, Peterburg is more beautiful, like Moscow- but Russia is an incredible huge country,far from the cities the things are changing slowly.

The Russian culture? Look at this! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oA2f70caMyI Bolshoi Theater reopening in 2011! I'm dying for this beauty!
    Last edited by lala; 08-17-2013 at 05:04 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lala View Post
    No. I'm really curious, have you seen the video? Look at it!!! Or any other videos on Youtube about Msocow! Great , fantastic city, huge progress. You can't deny, what is obvious.. The problem is there are two fantastic city, Moscow and ST. Peterburg-who was there the says, Peteburg is more beautiful, like Moscow- but Russia's is an incredible huge country,far from the cities the things are changing slowly.

The Russian culture? Look at this! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oA2f70caMyI Bolshoi Theater reopening in 2011! I'm dying for this beauty!
    Lala, I get your point. But I think Fred is very likely to have been to both the cities.As for these beautiful looking cities, I would also add Kazan to the list of these cities.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Morry Stillwell View Post
    One law does not define a Country or its People.
    Thanks for the brilliant observation Morry! Comes across as making an excuse for that one law. Ludicrious! Go back to bed now!
    There is nothing more captivating in this world than a woman's form gracing the ice in skating boots. It's simply sensational!

vCash
    Thank you so much, lala! It's soooooo beautiful!!!

Prick Admin
    vCash
    No. I'm really curious, have you seen the video? Look at it!!! Or any other videos on Youtube about Msocow! Great , fantastic city, huge progress. You can't deny, what is obvious.. The problem is there are two fantastic cities, Moscow and ST. Peterburg-who was there says, Peterburg is more beautiful, like Moscow- but Russia is an incredible huge country,far from the cities the things are changing slowly.
    I've been to both cities and enjoyed my trips to them immensely. The point I was making to you was that being an expensive city is not necessarily a good point.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2013/08/17...painted-nails/

Swedish athlete at Moscow Athletics Championship advised to change her rainbow painted nails

by Aaron Day
    17 August 2013, 4:36pm

Excerpt:

Anders Albertsson, the general secretary of the Swedish athletics federation, spoke to reporters outside the stadium on the issue.

He said: “We have been informally approached by the IAAF (International Association of Athletics Federations) saying that this is by definition, a breach of the regulations. We have informed our athletes about this.”

He added: “The code of conduct clearly states the rules do not allow any commercial or political statements during the competition.”

Mr Albertsson said the Swedish delegation had not put pressure on Ms Tregaro to change the colour of her fingernails, but “understood from Swedish media her nails are now red.”

He said: “If she knows she might be breaking the rules, that’s a decision she takes, we don’t have any objections on how they paint their fingernails”.

Quadless
    vCash
    I was told by a friend that the Russian press was reporting that members of the Russian team painted their nails with the Russian flag in response to this. If that's true, I wonder if the IAAF also advised those athletes to change their polish.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

vCash
    Insane that Fingernail polish/color/art/expression is considered unlawful. And that her fed would stoop so low as to make her conform to an incredibly stupid law.

So I wonder if several male skaters are re-working their programs/music/costumes so as not to "appear" too gay and therefore unlawful..

Can a ladies skater wear a skating dress of many colors? A pair's lady? Her partner? I wonder where they draw the line?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyre View Post
    Thank you so much, lala! It's soooooo beautiful!!!
    my pleasure

vCash
    I've been to both cities and enjoyed my trips to them immensely. The point I was making to you was that being an expensive city is not necessarily a good point.
    Yes, I agree.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by centerpt1 View Post
    Insane that Fingernail polish/color/art/expression is considered unlawful. And that her fed would stoop so low as to make her conform to an incredibly stupid law.

So I wonder if several male skaters are re-working their programs/music/costumes so as not to "appear" too gay and therefore unlawful..

Can a ladies skater wear a skating dress of many colors? A pair's lady? Her partner? I wonder where they draw the line?
    It wasn;t the Swedish federation who pressured Emma, it was the IAAF.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...ame=sportsNews

Completely and utterly tolerating intolerance. Disgusting. This issue has absolutely destroyed the championships for me.

Are athletes going to be stopped from wearing catholic crosses, praying before/after their races or any other such expression of a belief system?

To me, Greene's subtle act was merely an expression of her beliefs and moral intergrity. The fact that her nail colour warranted a warning is an utter disgrace.

The russians must pay the IAAF big ££££

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by poths View Post

Are athletes going to be stopped from wearing catholic crosses, praying before/after their races or any other such expression of a belief system?

To me, Greene's subtle act was merely an expression of her beliefs and moral intergrity. The fact that her nail colour warranted a warning is an utter disgrace.
    This.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

Brezina's Nemesis
    Collecting papers to obtain status of a Goddess for Asli
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Willowway View Post
    And yes (to the person who brought this up), Russia has an astonishing artistic tradition. I would love to know what Chekhov or Dostoevsky or Tchaikovsky would say about these issues if we could ask them. I imagine that Russia's greatest artists (many of them, not just the three I've mentioned) who are loved by the world, would support dignity and freedom as a birthright. Of course that's just my take on it.
    Well, not quite sure about Chekhov, but Dostoevsky was an anti-Semite and a religious zealot, and I doubt he would be all for the universal freedom and suchlikes.
    And Tchaikovski was gay, so in the modern Russia he'd probably get jailed for propaganda or whatever.
    In Soviet Russia, the skaters lobbychick YOU.

Crazy Russian Tundra
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skateboy View Post
    I am very disappointed by Ms. Isinbayeva's comments.

Hate comes in all forms.
    I have to admit I have been well behind the schedule lately due to some family matters, but I've learned the news today when I was out with my boyfriend at the pub and it did make me WTF out loud. All her lame excuses that English is not her mothertongue and she misexpressed herself and her words were misinterpreted finally were just this - lame excuses. I have been English teacher for ages and she did say what she meant to say. To say I was shocked was to say nothing. I really feel like I am developing complexes now about being nonstandard boy, a deviation of the kind. Shame on her.

That said, I am really grateful to her she made me make one step more towards emigrating to some better place. I have already started compiling a file with all the docs that could potentially facilitate the process of getting a visa or citizenship abroad and she just reassured me once more I am on the right way. Unfortunately, I still have some family matters to deal with here, and most probably I will have to apply for the full time job before I apply for any kind of visa or even emigration.

And I will never thank Ms/Mrs (not sure on her marital status though) Isinbaeva for breaking up my 7 years old relationship with my boyfriend. It's just like taking the whole piece of my life away with words "Forget it, unstandard guy". He won't move out under no circumstances, and I have to say I perfectly understand him. This was a hard decision for me, because I will have enormous difficulties in finding a proper job for myself, as I am good at only teaching and being a tour guide and that's probably it, so I really can't imagine what I can be doing in, say, UK or Benelux or anywhere else in EU and it's even harder for him, since he doesn't speak any foreign language at all and he is good at personnel management and IT and these things are way different here. I still have 3 years to make up my mind, but I am afraid it's already made up.

I've been looking for such lasting relationship for ages and now, at the age of 38 in three years time I will have to start it all over again, dating, learning to trust. Just huge thanks, I still can't believe I am doing all this.

Quote Originally Posted by PairSk8Fan View Post
    Well, it is clear. Russia is a backward country.
    No. We are not. No matter what happens, Russian has been a great country, probably the greates. It's also very beautiful, rich in history and culture. If you happen to be here one day, just drop me a note, and I will do everything I can to change your opinion. No matter what I think, I am still loving this country. I couldn't be doing any other way.

Crazy Russian Tundra
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrey aka Pushkin View Post
    And Tchaikovski was gay, so in the modern Russia he'd probably get jailed for propaganda or whatever.
    Oh hello, I've been to the movies today, Despicable Me 2, and no, minions weren't cut out of the movie because they were singing YMCA and crossdressing. Surprised? So was I.

Brezina's Nemesis
    Collecting papers to obtain status of a Goddess for Asli
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FarFarAway View Post
    Oh hello, I've been to the movies today, Despicable Me 2, and no, minions weren't cut out of the movie because they were singing YMCA and crossdressing. Surprised? So was I.
    Heya. I'm extremely bored
    I actually pity the Russians, it's going to be one heck of a headache now to censor everything in order not to let anything too gay appear on the screens (oy, gevald!). I mean, they now have to ban everything from "Cabaret" to "Hair"
    And words can't describe how happy I am I was taken away at the age of 12.

In other news, why in the world did you go to watch "Despicable Me 2"?
    "Despicable Me 1" was an oversweetened bucket of barf, and even the minions didn't save the shallow, moralizing and despicable (uh-oh) storyline.
    In Soviet Russia, the skaters lobbychick YOU.

Page 6 of 50 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast