Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    Perhaps I am deeply cynical about it because I was a huge fan of this athlete who was such an excellent ambassador for the sport of athletics, almost up there with Usain Bolt in terms of popularity. I have heard her interviewed many times in English on TV and she has always been able to express her feelings adequately. I find it hard to accept that one day she supports a law that says a certain group of people shouldn't be able to be open about who they are and the next says she doesn't support discrimination against this group of people.

Never mind that she believes that someone painting their nails a certain colour or wearing a pin in support of a certain group of people is showing disrespect.
    Oh...maybe I had little informations. Sorry.

vCash
    Perhaps I am deeply cynical about it because I was a huge fan of this athlete who was such an excellent ambassador for the sport of athletics, almost up there with Usain Bolt in terms of popularity. I have heard her interviewed many times in English on TV and she has always been able to express her feelings adequately. I find it hard to accept that one day she supports a law that says a certain group of people shouldn't be able to be open about who they are and the next says she doesn't support discrimination against this group of people.

Never mind that she believes that someone painting their nails a certain colour or wearing a pin in support of a certain group of people is showing disrespect.
    This is obviously a PR move like you said.

It's good that she was forced (hehe) to take some of her words back. Athletes should be held accountable for what they say.

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash

I have to admit I don't follow athletics so I had never heard of her before.

I am glad she made the second statement she did.

Let the outcry continue!
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

vCash
    I would like to share with you this. Maybe I'm very naiv, but...I think this is credible

https://twitter.com/olyphil/status/368097668339224578

The Russian word "нормальный" is "average" in English, not "normal", i.e. all others are "abnormal".

Tomas Verner was bashed in similar case for the use of the Czech word "normální" when he said he wasn't gay.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lala View Post
    I would like to share with you this. Maybe I'm very naiv, but...I think this is credible

https://twitter.com/olyphil/status/368097668339224578

The Russian word "нормальный" is "average" in English, not "normal", i.e. all others are "abnormal".
    The person who tweeted that is somebody who is very familiar to all of us on FSU and I personally have been on the other end of their homophobia. Another of their gems should give everybody a clue as to their identity.

Spoiler

To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    The person who tweeted that is somebody who is very familiar to all of us on FSU and I personally have been on the other end of their homophobia. Another of their gems should give everybody a clue as to their identity.
    I too have been a pm victim of their homophobic attitudes and scathing words. Are we sure these two are not one and the same person? They obviously went to the same school of closed mindedness.
    I guess the hard thing for a lot of people to accept is why God would allow me to go running through their yards, yelling and spinning around.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzisk8tr View Post
    I too have been a pm victim of their homophobic attitudes and scathing words. Are we sure these two are not one and the same person? They obviously went to the same school of closed mindedness.
    The twitter user that lala quoted is the same as the former FSU user.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

Not summer :(
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzisk8tr View Post
    And funky apostrophes...
    Haunting the Princess of Pink since 20/07/11...

vCash
    If "нормальный" (normalnyi) is the Russian for "average", what is the Russian word for "normal"? lol

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VarBar View Post
    If "нормальный" (normalnyi) is the Russian for "average", what is the Russian word for "normal"? lol

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Former British javelin thrower Goldie Sayers wins "Snarky tweet of the day" award:

https://twitter.com/goldiesayers/sta...57185660936192

It appears Isinbayeva's English is much improved overnight. Did she invest in a Rosetta Stone DVD?

vCash
    Ha! Excellent Goldie.

And good 'ole Rosetta Stone.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PairSk8Fan View Post
    Nonsense. These impressions of mother Russia have nothing to do with being gay or not. I visited years ago, found it to be a backward and depressed and depressing place, and it does not appear that it is any better now, 27 years later.
    There are underlying mechanisms at play here. Any action results in a reaction. Imperialist and colonialist discourse (which you showed in your post - a privileged Western person looking down on a "backward" country) results in a backlash. Nobody likes being told they are a "savage." Would you? Homosexuality gets equated with the forces of modernity which are seen as threatening to the "natural" social order and tradition.

This is why it's such a hard issue to navigate. If you are going to be aggressive and tell Russians they are stupid and backward, you are going to achieve exactly the opposite result. They will feel attacked and their attitudes are going to get entrenched even further.

And then of course you also have another mechanism which is very common everywhere. Scapegoating. Using "the other" as a distraction tool (another example: US' "war on terror").

There is also a very worrying ignorance to your post. You have been to the Soviet Union 27 years ago and it is a very different country now. Also, what you have seen was a small anecdotal sample, which can't really be generalised.

I could provide you numerous examples that - if taken out of the context - could show Russia being much more "advanced" (whatever that even means) than the West.

For example, Russia currently has the best figure skating training facilities in the world, by far. And no other country seems to have a system that's as robust and where athletes get so much support. Everything is provided and paid for, including your lunch, when you are a nationally ranked skater.

If you're rich and you go to Russia you will find out that probably no other place in the world has so much luxury and opulence and such a big industry dedicated to entertaining the elite. A friend of mine saw the "rich" side of Moscow and it has left them speechless. It was incredible, jaw-dropping and they've never seen anything like it.

Of course you can't generalise those two things because there are also numerous issues that Russia is facing. But to perceive it in an entirely negative light is missing out on the bigger picture.

And on a final note, you do realise that Russia has an immense contribution to culture? Dostoevsky, Stravinsky, Tarkovsky, I could go on and on.
    Last edited by Ziggy; 08-16-2013 at 08:35 PM.

vCash
    ha-ha, yes. Moscow is the most expensive city in Europe and the third most expensive city in the world.

Look at it PairSk8Fan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4UK1eQW4-s Moscow is a luxury city.
    Who was there, says Moscow really never sleeps..

vCash
    Moscow is the most expensive city in Europe and the third most expensive city in the world.
    Which I suppose only goes to show that Russia is a more developed country in terms of average living standard than Germany or France or The Netherlands.

And on a final note, you do realise that Russia has an immense contribution to culture? Dostoevsky, Stravinsky, Tarkovsky, I could go on and on.
    Speaking of Russian elites, I would really like to know what Tarasova, Moskvina etc think about the law under discussion here. Too bad TSL can't interview them too. But wait, Russian journalists can, right?

Quote Originally Posted by care bear View Post
    Here is the link on an article in Russian with some quotes from the new law.

"распространение информации, направленной на формирование у несовершеннолетних нетрадиционных сексуальных установок, привлекательности нетрадиционных сексуальных отношений, искаженного представления о социальной равноценности традиционных и нетрадиционных сексуальных отношений либо навязывание информации о нетрадиционных сексуальных отношениях, вызывающих интерес к таким отношениям"

Spreading information which can
    - develope non-traditional mindset by minors
    - attract non-traditional sexual relations by minors
    - distort picture of the social equivalence of traditional and non-traditional sexual relations by minors
    - impose information on non-traditional sexual relationships that can evoke an interest to such relationships by minors
    This is " gay propaganda".
    Sorry for mistakes, my English is not good.
    Thanks for that. Do you happen to know how many Russian minors who otherwise would have chosen to be straight were converted to homosexuality as a result of exposure to gay propaganda? Are there any official numbers?

vCash
    Two Olympic-Bound NHLers Speak Out Against Russia's Anti-Gay Laws
    http://deadspin.com/two-olympic-boun...ant-1156031366
    Expect a lot more of this in the coming months. Hockey is the marquee sport of the Winter Olympics, and NHL players are the only winter athletes we're familiar with on a regular basis. Once the season starts, they're going to regularly be asked their thoughts on the matter. Some, like Hedman and Zetterberg, will criticize Russia. Others, like Henrik Lundqvist, will refuse comment. The real fun will come when reporters corner the NHL's Russian stars.
    Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm - Ralph Waldo Emerson

vCash
    Yeah the press will be asking the Malkins and ovechkins all the time! There has been a huge exodus to khl but there are enough so the Russian NHLers will either condemn immediately or try to "no comment" their way as long as possible!

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    Hockey is the marquee sport of the winter Olympics? Who the hell are these people?

Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

Quadless
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VarBar View Post
    Which I suppose only goes to show that Russia is a more developed country in terms of average living standard than Germany or France or The Netherlands.
    One should not confuse cost of living with standard of living, nor should a national standard of living be implied by that of a single city.

In terms of overall development, Germany, The Netherlands and France consistently place in the top 10, whereas Russia is not there yet. Moscow and St. Petersburg may be bustling, but for the most part, the rest of the country significantly lags behind. All this aside, I don't really see any relevance between the cost of living in Moscow and the topic of this thread.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lala View Post
    ha-ha, yes. Moscow is the most expensive city in Europe and the third most expensive city in the world.
    Right up there with Luanda, Angola.

Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast