Page 45 of 50 FirstFirst ... 354344454647 ... LastLast
    AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dardar1126 View Post
    I follow a lot of gay press/media, and haven't noticed much criticism of Brian; just that small Queer Nation protest at his recent appearance.

Oh good, I'm glad to know that. As far as I'm concerned Brian really stood up by making his sexual orientation public before going to Sochi. That was huge. He's got my admiration.

Johnny's a magnet we all know that. I don't agree with some of the things he's said but that's always been true!
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

vCash
    Yeah, the criticism/protest wasn't fair, I thought. Very different situation from Weir's defense of Russia.

vCash
    Putin's incredible gay insult: Russian president says homosexuals will be welcome at Winter Olympics ... so long as they 'leave the children alone'
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ren-alone.html
    Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm - Ralph Waldo Emerson

vCash
    Tonight on Chanel 1 Russia News Cast there was a short clip on Putin meeting eh Sochi Volunteers. Sochi official uniform is rainbow-colors.

(in brief, in my own words)
    One girl (a voluteer) stands up and asks Putin "our uniforms are gay-colors, what about anti-gay-propaganda laws?"
    http://www.newsfiber.com/p/s/m?msg=B2QIsHuTujA%3D

Putin rolls his eyes, and sais "we're not anti-gay, being gay is legal, touching children/minors and enticing them into homosexuality is not".

In another programme, Putin has been gifted an Olympic Uniform and it is said he plans to wear it..... .

Ahsley W. better re-think her "coloured nails" strategy, or she'll be mistaken for a "stadium volunteer"...

The issues of how society in Russia treats gay comminity is a serious issue... it's not about colours of clothes and nails.

Blergh
    vCash
    How does one entice children into homosexuality?

I would like to think "touching" (at least in the physical sense in a less-than-proper way) children was already outlawed for all adults in Russia. Why was there a compelling need to make sure homosexuals don't touch children other than irrational fear and animosity towards homosexuals.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    Because homosexuals rape children on a daily basis, isn't it obvious?

And then those raped children become homosexual, raping more children and soon everybody is homosexual and the human race dies out.
    Last edited by Ziggy; 01-17-2014 at 09:57 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    THAT is the milliard-rubles question.. exact guidelines for this "law"...THE FIRST issue that needs to be addressed! once Russian government provide that explanation, then each point can be addressed and hopefully argued against.

If a strong coalition of business people and prominent visitors to Russia would pose such question to Russian Government, in context such as "we are doing business in Russia, we have gay employees, owners, stock-holders, and would like to make sure we're not in contradition with this law, please give us details", Russian Government would have to comply with request. Then the next step will be clearer...

It's is also a good idea to remember how "Anna" managed the "Savage King" who did not want to be seen as "savage" in front of Westerners.... "I know you thought of it first, Oh, Wise King, and very proud of you that you are going to do the following....."...... In many cases it works! It was Putin who decided to free Khodorkovsky...... .

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinami Amori View Post
    Tonight on Chanel 1 Russia News Cast there was a short clip on Putin meeting eh Sochi Volunteers. Sochi official uniform is rainbow-colors.
    (.
    Either Colbert or the Daily Show did a story about this. The implication was that Putin did this so if anyone decides to wear rainbow colors, they won't stand out. He co-opted the rainbow for himself and the workers, taking it away from protesters.

Loving on babies!
    vCash
    So basically, being gay is fine, it's just pedophilia that is frowned upon? Um, wait, isn't that the same in most of the civilized world? Putin needs to get his definitions straight, pardon the pun.
    I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally.~W. C. Fields

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    This used to be a mainstream belief in the U.S. too. "Homosexual" and "pedophile" were used interchangeably. I saw an old film made for children called "Beware of the Homosexual," in which a man tries to lure a boy into his car. That was from the 1950s, I think.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Because homosexuals rape children on a daily basis, isn't it obvious?

And then those rape children become homosexual, raping more children and soon everybody is homosexual and the human race dies out.
    Don't exaggerate... Most Russians I know link as one of several images of "homosexuals" to Sparta.. or Lord Byron... socially acceptable pedophilia and depravity... Such views are one of the bigger problems to address. Besides religious believes, and other "reasons", fear of pedophilia is very real for many Russian parents, who already have to deal with "sex-drugs-rock'n-roll-violence" from "the West"...

So what is one to do? Keep yelling to them "you're biggots, you're wrong"? or work with their mentality and almost academically dismiss their fears?

It's amaizing what strange replies about homosexuality I get in Russia from well educated, well traveled cosmopolitan by all world standards Russians.... They are not biggots or "haters".... they are grossly misinformed, or rather UNinformed...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasey View Post
    So basically, being gay is fine, it's just pedophilia that is frowned upon? Um, wait, isn't that the same in most of the civilized world? Putin needs to get his definitions straight, pardon the pun.
    From this article it seems like being gay is fine, but telling children that being gay exists is not fine. Pedophilia is also not fine.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Justathoughtabl View Post
    Either Colbert or the Daily Show did a story about this. The implication was that Putin did this so if anyone decides to wear rainbow colors, they won't stand out. He co-opted the rainbow for himself and the workers, taking it away from protesters.
    That is not true. The uniform design was created way before the law took place in Summer 2013. There was a contest for the design, and certain criteria set.... and "colorful/happy/like Russian folk art" was one of them.

vCash
    This used to be a mainstream belief in the U.S. too. "Homosexual" and "pedophile" were used interchangeably. I saw an old film made for children called "Beware of the Homosexual," in which a man tries to lure a boy into his car. That was from the 1950s, I think.
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boys_Beware

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilyich View Post
    I had seen that before too, and it is absolutely appalling. When I was reminded of it recently and went back to look at it again, my jaw literally dropped because I had forgotten just how bad it was. It's a good reminder of how far we have come (at least in the U.S., can't really say about Russian culture generally), even if we still have a long ways to go.

Also, just to clarify, pedophilia is not the same as child molestation. One can be a pedophile without molesting or otherwise harming children. Here's an article I saw a while back. http://www.salon.com/2012/07/01/meet...who_mean_well/

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilyich View Post
    That's it. I got the title wrong, but I think that line is part of the voiceover's script.

vCash
    That is not true. The uniform design was created way before the law took place in Summer 2013. There was a contest for the design, and certain criteria set.... and "colorful/happy/like Russian folk art" was one of them.
    Just to clarify, the U.S. TV shoes The Colbert Report and the Daily Show are not news shows. They are comedy shows that skewer politicians, the media, corruption, injustice, etc. This was just their suggestion (not reported as fact)--that Putin had chosen rainbow colors for a reason.

vCash
    You're right...it's so antiquated. Like VietgrlTerifa, I don't see how one can entice children to being gay.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    While this discussion.would not happen everywhere in Canada, let alone in the US, I'm glad that my friend does not teach fifth graders in Russia:

http://www.rethinkingschools.org/arc...02_ciwko.shtml
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    Is that Oksana Baiul on the right?!

Page 45 of 50 FirstFirst ... 354344454647 ... LastLast