Page 38 of 50 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Awesome, hopefully this is going to reach critical mass and no western heads of state are going to show up.

vCash
    Obama Isn't Sending Top Officials To Russia For The Olympics — But He Is Sending Lesbians
    http://www.businessinsider.com/us-de...ympics-2013-12
    In addition to King, this year's opening ceremony delegation will also include figure skater Brian Boitano. Boitano, who won an Olympic gold medal in 1988, recently starred in a Food Network show about his life as a single man entertaining his friends at his home in San Francisco.
    Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm - Ralph Waldo Emerson

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    Great he's sending lesbians Billie Jean King and Brian Boitano!

sorry couldn't resist
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Awesome, hopefully this is going to reach critical mass and no western heads of state are going to show up.
    Well, it's only the Winter Olympics. Not many of them bother usually.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    Obama Isn't Sending Top Officials To Russia For The Olympics — But He Is Sending Lesbians
    another addition for my awkward headline scrapbook....

vCash
    I'm really pleased that among others Billie Jean King will be representing the US in the delegation the President has selected - she's simply the best, knows when to speak up and when to listen and has made a significant and lasting difference in women's sports. I don't think the President could have picked anyone better and I'm glad she agreed to do it.

Brian Boitano will also be in the delegation which will be led by Janet Napolitano who is now President of the University of California system. Other former Olympians who will rep the US are Caitlin Cahow, Bonny Blair and Eric Heiden.
    Last edited by Willowway; 12-18-2013 at 03:53 PM.

Eh?
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueRidge View Post
    Great he's sending lesbians Billie Jean King and Brian Boitano!

sorry couldn't resist

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    Well, it's only the Winter Olympics. Not many of them bother usually.
    I do remember Sasha Cohen sitting next to George Bush during the opening ceremony, calling her mum and handing him the phone. ;D

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    Obama sends message by naming Sochi Olympic delegation
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...hlete/4051581/
    The White House delivered a strong message of opposition to Russia's anti-gay laws Tuesday with the announcement of its delegation to the opening ceremony of the Sochi Olympics.

The White House delegation will include an openly gay athlete: tennis great Billie Jean King.

It will not include the president, first lady or the vice president, all who headed the previous four Olympic delegations, or a cabinet secretary, only a former one. This marks the first Olympics since the 2000 Sydney Summer Games that a U.S. president, vice president, first lady or former president has not been a member of the delegation for the opening ceremony, which will be Feb. 7 in Sochi.
    So if none of them were sent to the 2000 Sydney Olympics was there a reason for that? And if there was no reason then, why would them not going now have anything to do with LGBT rights in Russia

Unless an official statement is made then you can't assume anything, especially if the same thing happened 13 short before for no particular reason.
    Last edited by antmanb; 12-18-2013 at 11:05 AM.

vCash
    It's such a strong message when nothing is said!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by antmanb View Post
    So if none of them were sent to the 2000 Sydney Olympics was there a reason for that? And if there was no reason then, why would them not going now have anything to do with LGBT rights in Russia
    I would assume the reason was there was less of a media/celebrity circus back then and that with time making an appearance at the Olympics became the standard as it was seen as good PR. Just guessing though.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    I do remember Sasha Cohen sitting next to George Bush during the opening ceremony, calling her mum and handing him the phone. ;D
    That was in Salt Lake City though.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    That was in Salt Lake City though.
    In 2006, first lady Laura Bush attended the Turin opening ceremonies and in 2010, V.P. Joe Biden was there in Vancouver. I would say that not sending any top official, including current cabinet members, is definitely "sending a message."
    Lady 2: there isn't anything about me on goooogle, I mean, I must take it off if there is.....
    Lady 3: The google is a terrible thing, I mean I don't want anything on there! (Overheard by millyskate on a London train.)

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan5 View Post
    In 2006, first lady Laura Bush attended the Turin opening ceremonies and in 2010, V.P. Joe Biden was there in Vancouver. I would say that not sending any top official, including current cabinet member, is definitely "sending a message."
    I think the not sending a top official (no current cabinet members either) and loudly naming LGBT athletes to the delegation especially an outspoken activist like Billie Jean King is definitely sending a message.

It may not sound like it to folks outside of the annoying world of politics and diplomacy but it is.
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

vCash
    Why does Russia care if gays and lesbians are sent? They didn't criminalize homosexuality.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyedwards View Post
    Why does Russia care if gays and lesbians are sent? They didn't criminalize homosexuality.
    Effectively, they did. You can argue semantics all you want, but the reality is they have criminalized it.

Blergh
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hydro View Post
    Effectively, they did. You can argue semantics all you want, but the reality is they have criminalized it.
    Exactly. The tired attempt to downplay the real world effects and application of the anti-propaganda law is desperate to say the least and deluded to say the worst.

It's almost as pathetic as Johnny Weir minimizing it as a law to ensure there are no blowjobs outside of schools or libraries or whatever he said. If there are already existing public obscenity laws outlawing such behavior then a law specifically targeting gays is unneeded. Also, how many gay public sex acts were actually happening in Russia? The animosity towards the LGBT community is quite obvious.

furthermore, let's accept that homosexuality isn't criminalized. Sending out athletes who are also known to care about these issues can still be a statement considering how homosexuality has been singled out due to these laws and being publicly out is against the "traditional" values that the Russian government is trying to protect.
    Last edited by VIETgrlTerifa; 12-18-2013 at 07:50 PM.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    People were hysterical that Elton John or attendees to his concert would be arrested and no one was!

Watch me move
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyedwards View Post
    People were hysterical that Elton John or attendees to his concert would be arrested and no one was!
    The Russian government is not so stupid as to arrest one of the best-known performers in the world for being homosexual. That they didn't arrest him doesn't mean their attitudes about homosexuality have changed.
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

vCash
    Different kinds of dangers for gay visitors in Russia, or gay Russians for that matter:

*Being arrested for activities that are clearly against Russian laws

*Being arrested/harrassed and eventually let go by Russian police on "suspicion" of breaking the law

*Being harrassed or worse by Russian police acting as homophobic individuals outside the scope of their official duties

*Being harrassed, attacked, or worse by private individuals -- who get away with it because the police look the other way

Page 38 of 50 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast