Page 34 of 50 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast
    AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    It is kind of idiotic to protest Johnny.
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Weir is an ego-centric twat who doesn't seem to care about anything else other than his own self-promotion. At least that got him in the news, I guess. Twice because of the apology.
    This. He even went as far as blaming the Olympics/ anti-LGBT law issue on the Western media during the Cup of Russia broadcast. Evidently, he's already priming the pump to be allowed to tour with Plushenko in Russia.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sjs5572 View Post
    This. He even went as far as blaming the Olympics/ anti-LGBT law issue on the Western media during the Cup of Russia broadcast. Evidently, he's already priming the pump to be allowed to tour with Plushenko in Russia.
    He has a contract to be a commentator for the Olympics, right? Therefore he has to rationalise taking part in it, somehow.

Blergh
    vCash
    I think it's funny how he and his PR team packaged him as some sort of "bad boy" of figure skating who tackles the conservative institutions. In actuality, he's just like everyone else in that he wants to be a part of the system that was supposedly into conforming him or not letting him be himself. He mentioned that the word "revolution" scared him…which is contrary to how his PR team has packaged him in all those Olympic fluffs. Of course, now that he's in a position of privilege, he doesn't want anything to challenge his upper level status. I always thought he was self-centered, so everything he has said regarding this topic is no surprise.

I do think it's a bit much to protest him though, but maybe it was a way to get to someone who is actively involved with NBC and they were hoping that letting him know what the issues are would result in him letting NBC know.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    Very well said!

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    Let NBC know what though? Is anyone articulating an actual goal on this? Its too bad there isn't (to my knowledge) and more well-funded and organized effort on this because I think that at this point pressuring NBC, and pressuring sponsors to pressure NBC, to make presenting information on the anti-gay law and climate in Russia throughout the Olympic broadcasts is about the best bet. Keeping the situation in the public eye rather than allowing them to pretend it doesn't exist is what I'm thinking could be the best thing accomplished.
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

vCash
    I think that this issue - like issues that occurred in the lead up to other Olympics - will be lost in the sporting events and the drama of the competition. The only way that it becomes a major part of the story of these Olympics is if something happens with either spectators or athletes from another country being arrested - that would bring major pressure on the Russian government during the Olympics.
    When watching live I like everyone to skate clean - but on television the occasional trainwreck can be fun.

vCash
    I also find it curious that Johnny is blaming his "foot in mouth" disease during his Barnard talk on an "unsafe fan." One of the other times he had the same affliction, when he asked for money from fans on his Twitter account, it was blamed on the hacking of his account by a "fan."

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Article on Weir's Monday night appearance at Columbia’s Harriman Institute by Columbia's undergraduate newspaper: http://www.columbiaspectator.com/new...cs-russian-law
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Not sure why Johnny spoke at a college, but it is college. College students protest people who speak at their school all the time. It's not like Johnny was being accosted while going to Shake Shak.

Brezina's Nemesis
    Collecting papers to obtain status of a Goddess for Asli
    vCash
    I think this is about the first time I agree with Weir. It's hard to think of a more idiotic move than picketing him. I mean, yeah, that's the perfect target to protest the Russian homophobic laws
    In Soviet Russia, the skaters lobbychick YOU.

Banned Member
    vCash
    One big problem same-sex couples will have visiting Russia is if they come from a country that allows it, many will be MARRIED PERSONS, but Russia IS rude enough not to recognize the laws and customs of its visitors.

If a same-sex couple visits, and declares upon entry that they are married persons to each other, such as Weir-Voronov, and they are determined to behave like MARRIED PERSONS do in PUBLIC, does this not set them up for prosecution under the "anti-propoganda" law? Of course it does.

A couple could simply state at a dinner table in front of someone under 18 that they are in a same sex marriage, one that their nation allows.

For this, they could be arrested and prosecuted. Sorry, but as much as Weir is a "ego-centric twat," the Russians and their government are WORSE.

Russia will simply never live this one down. My opinion is that Russia is not worthy of ever being a world host, and not worth visiting at all by anyone with any sense of freedom in their psyche.

vCash
    http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/12/0...russian-games/
    “I still don’t study Russian politics,” Weir said blithely on Monday. “I don’t pretend to get Russian politics,” but he said that foreign athletes who express their LGBT sexuality at the games should be ready to be stripped of their medals.

“You can have your gold medal stripped from you,” he warned.
    Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm - Ralph Waldo Emerson

vCash
    Johnny shouldn't have called them idiots, just as they shouldn't call him all the names they've been calling him for not supporting a boycott. But the fact is, he's right. They've made him their target when NBC, the IOC, or someone else with real power should be the target (not to mention the Russian government). He's certainly not the only one who is against a boycott, and he's not the only one working for NBC (ie "a sellout") but because he's gay, he's the devil for not being more of an activist.

vCash
    I like Johnny, but he screwed up on this one.
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

Banned Member
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skateboy View Post
    I like Johnny, but he screwed up on this one.
    True. It seems maybe his lawyer/international studies expert husband could have prepared him somewhat to answer these kinds of questions. His agent could have developed a public statement for him to give to the LGBT community and arranged a media interview (such as Advocate) for him to present a clear statement on what he believes and how he will participate as an NBC employee.

His answers all seemed unprepared and like he was taken off guard. This to me is strange.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PairSk8Fan View Post
    One big problem same-sex couples will have visiting Russia is if they come from a country that allows it, many will be MARRIED PERSONS, but Russia IS rude enough not to recognize the laws and customs of its visitors.
    (not that I am defending Russian laws prohibiting gay exhibitionism to minors)... But the same can be said about US or other Western Laws prohibiting Polygamy. If an arab Sheik comes to USA with 4 wives, USA or Canada, for example, IS rude enough not to recognize the laws and customs of its visitors, just the same.

I personally think that Polygamy (if all parties entered into such marriage are of age and did so willingly) is a perfectly legitimate form of family. Just like same-sex couples form of family. Yet Western Societies do not recognize such family structure, legally and socially.

vCash
    Accept that the history of polygamy in North America is about old men deciding which young girls should marry whom and pushing young men out of the community - doing tremendous damage to the society in the process. The scenario you described has not been the case in most societies with polygamous marriages and so you're comparison isn't valid. Gay marriage and gay rights has nothing to do with the child abuse that is common to polygamy.
    When watching live I like everyone to skate clean - but on television the occasional trainwreck can be fun.

vCash
    I'd suggest everyone to stay away from the bait. It's not worth it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueRidge View Post
    Let NBC know what though? Is anyone articulating an actual goal on this? Its too bad there isn't (to my knowledge) and more well-funded and organized effort on this because I think that at this point pressuring NBC, and pressuring sponsors to pressure NBC, to make presenting information on the anti-gay law and climate in Russia throughout the Olympic broadcasts is about the best bet. Keeping the situation in the public eye rather than allowing them to pretend it doesn't exist is what I'm thinking could be the best thing accomplished.
    Maybe. But activism takes on many forms. If people protest Weir and his hypocrisy, so what? The way you write in this thread, it sounds like the only form of activism you find acceptable and effective is YOUR kind of activism, which, I think is not your intention.

Page 34 of 50 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast